“BEST brisket - BEST Jessie - GREAT new location off IH35” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hays County BBQ

Hays County BBQ
Ranked #1 of 264 Restaurants in San Marcos
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Puerto Vallarta
“BEST brisket - BEST Jessie - GREAT new location off IH35”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

In San Marcos for our quarterly visit, we noticed that Hays County BBQ had moved to just off IH35.
Great new location - same FANTASTIC BBQ. The brisket is world class - beyond insanely good.
We had smoked turkey, jalepeno cheese link sausage, pork rib. The only thing missing is the beef rib (Jessie says they are perfecting the recipe for that now - coming soon !). All the standard sides, potato salad, cole slaw, DELICIOUS beans! Banana pudding, brownies - if you have room !
They have a fun picnic area out back, including a kids area, with Live music Friday & Saturday nights.
Jessie is a true treasure and wonderful addition to the whoel experience, He is a truly outgoing and genuine person.
We'll see you again soon !

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank theonlyrobina

Richardson, Texas
“Very good stop on the quest for the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

My 12yr. old son and I are on a bbq quest. Hays County was a really good find. Found it first by reviews online and then by a local's recommendation. First, the folks working here are welcoming, friendly, helpful, and care that you came to their joint. We had brisket and ribs. My son and daughter enjoyed the ribs very much. Right up there on top of our rib list. Only issue was a tough outer bark. The brisket was very tasty, just too greasy from the fat. But flavor was great. I tried the pinto beans which I absolutely loved. Very peppery with bits of smoked meat cooked in. I really like a peppery flavor, my daughter doesn't. But it wasn't enough to keep her from eating everything. The sauce was really good, also with a spicy/peppery kick. Great bbq served by great people.

Visited June 2014
Victoria, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brisket and atmosphere was great.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

This brisket was some of the best I've ever had. Too good to even use barbecue sauce...although, the other people with me said it was good. The place was very clean and had great outside seating. I will be back!

Visited April 2014
Austin, Texas
“Best in San Marcos, TX”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Craving for BBQ here in San Marcos, TX, I checked the yelp reviews and asked some of the local about the best BBQ spot in San Marcos. Hays seemed to be the favorite so I hopped into car, put the pedal to the metal, both hands on the steering wheel, leaning forward and was Hays bound. It was a good sign to smell smoke as I pulled into the parking lot. I ordered to go, beef brisket, pork ribs, links, all wrapped in butcher paper, and a side of potato salad. Once I arrived to my suite of rooms, I opened my care package and chowed down. Indeed I must say that it was absolutely delicious, smoked to perfection. And the potato salad was surprisingly very good. They will see me again.

• Visited May 2014
Washington, DC
“7 Days of Q”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

DAY 5 – HAYS COUNTY BAR-B-QUE & CATERING (San Marcos, TX)
Hays is located just off of I-35 in San Marcos (~30 minutes south of Austin). The space is reminiscent of stepping into a double-wide trailer and lacks atmosphere. Like Cooper’s, they don’t sell combo plates (2 meats/2 sides); rather, meat is sold by the pound and sides are sold à la carte. The reasons to visit include convenient access from the highway; unfortunately, the BBQ is not one.

BRISKET: Crispy bark exterior to standard quality meat texture; bark is sweet and meat is lightly smoked without much flavor.
RIBS: Smoky bark and slightly dry meat with a chew; slightly smoky and tasty, but unworthy of much praise.
BEANS: Thicker texture with little smoky chunks and strings of pork; subtle pepper and pork flavors.
($23.00 – meats sold by pound, sides extra)

For more on my "7 Days of Q:" http://traveldispatch.blogspot.com/2014/04/central-texas-7-days-of-q.html

• Visited May 2014