“OUTSTANDING!!!”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is coming from someone who has been in the BarBQ business for 51 years. These guys do a great jog!!

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Having been to the over rated places like Franklins and other trendy, over priced hipster hangouts that double as BBQ joints I can honestly say that Hays County BBQ beats them all. The lines can be long, but the food is worth it. The jalapeño sausage is one of the best I have found; the brisket is tender and moist. The burnt ends are out of the world. Its a real place and not a trendy fad.

1  Thank DSergi
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I read the great reviews and had to go to San Marcos so I made it a point to go to Hays County BBQ for lunch. Warning slow down, hard to find, they site back off the road a ways.

You order at a counter. They sell their beef brisket by weight. For dine in they place a sheet of paper on a tray, drop a wax paper on it and drop your BBQ on the paper.
What no plates?
The Beans are in a big pot on the counter. You grab a container and dish them up yourself. All other sides like potato salad, cole slaw and banana pudding are in foam containers in a cooler. Once you grab your sides and choose a fountain drink, ice tea or bottled soda they give you a cup. You go get your drink and plastic ware and head to a table. the brisket was very good. The Pinto Beans had a good amount of meat in them and were the best I've had in Texas. The cole slaw was good but not great. The unsweetened ice teas was very good. I finished lunch and bought a banana pudding. Don't do it! It was awful and contained no bananas. i should have gone for the pecan pie.

They had a cardboard sign up saying they are adding outside seating, a kid's play area, and more parking in the rear.

I would change several things about how things are done here, but what counts is it was really good BBQ.

1  Thank DarrylVK
Reviewed January 9, 2014

If you want the real deal! Hays County BBQ is the place. We are so glad they are in San Marcos. I can say the brisket is moist and tender, at times you don't need a knife. I service is outstanding, the working crew knows how to greet and help you with food options. I highly recommend this place.

1  Thank Rick G
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I had to do some work in San Marcos and I looked to see where a good place was to eat. I found an article that mentioned this restaurant and it seemed the perfect place to eat. I have to say I was a bit taken back when I walked in but then I never judged a restaurants food solely based on the decor. I have to admit that I must have spent about 10 minutes browsing the menu board trying to decide what I was going to eat. The man working the cutting board was very accommodating in answering my questions. Such as how big the ribs were, or which sausage they would recommend. I also asked how fatty the brisket was and was pleased when I was told that I could get it lean if I wanted it that way. They also recommended the turkey but I decided not to try it.

I ordered the brisket lean, four ribs and one jalapeno cheddar sausage. I was so focused on the meats that I forgot about the sides. I was told about the sauces on the table and found myself trying the sauces just to taste them and not because anything I ate needed sauce. Halfway thru my meal I realized I forgot to buy some sides so I went up and got some coleslaw and some beans. I found the slaw to be average but the beans were excellent and with a little heat. All of the meats I ate were excellent but I found the brisket to be the best of them. The rub on the ribs was great and if available in a bottle I would have bought several. The sausage had a flavor I have never had before and I was glad they recommended the one I got. The brisket had a great smoke ring and was lean like I asked for and moist. I was quite an experience to be served my food on paper, one I truly enjoyed.

I really wanted to try the pulled pork but it was only available as a sandwich.

This was my first experience with true Texas BBQ and it was a great one. When I was there they had flyers posted that they were moving and I wish them luck in their new location.

1  Thank drrosenthal