“We'll be back!”

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in San Marcos
Sugar Land, TX
“We'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

Our child is in school at San Marcos, so we've sampled a number of properties in the area. This is by far the nicest hotel/motel in San Marcos! Clean, comfy, good breakfast - it's a winner. The price is similar to other properties in town - and it feels a lot more upscale than most of the others. Staff was super-helpful. Just a great experience!

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, comfort, overall appearance
  • Disliked — Pool is pretty small/standard - set out in parking lot!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BootsCAT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

We stayed at this Hampton Inn the first part of December, 2007.. Our room was clean and check-in went fine. About 3:00am the noise started from the UPS facility next door with trucks arriving and leaving. We could also hear noise from the hallway or room above us. At breakfast, which was a good cont. breakfast, the people seated next to us asked if we were shopping the outlet mall. We had arrived late and did not shop the evening before, but had plans to shop on this day. Their vehicle had been broken into the night before and all of their packages taken. They were parked at the front of the hotel. There were signs posted about locking your car in the parking lot, but at check-in they did not suggest that we not leave anything in the car. All of their Christmas was gone. Between the UPS and the theft, I would not choose this hotel again.

• Liked — well know hotel chain
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank grammy&grumpy
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

When traveling without my family I prefer to stay at Hampton Inns. I simply find them the best for business travel: free internet, quick free simple hot breakfast and comfy beds.

Here's the good and bad:
Good
1. Friendly staff.
2. After a long day of travel, I value quick check in. They were fast.
3. Close to restaurants.
4. Clean

Bad
1. This particular hotel I found difficult to get to.

Overall a good hotel.

• Liked — Close to a wicked outlet mall!
  • Disliked — Difficult to get to.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Iamuzak
College Station, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

The San Marcos Hampton is set back off of I-35 behind the Comfort Suite Inn (exit 200). The entrance to the hotel driveway from the frontage road can be easily missed if you are not paying close attention.

The front desk was helpful and courteous and called once we arrived to our room to make sure it was OK.

The side access door from the parking lot is supposed to be accessible only by guests with a room key but it was not secure. You only had to pull the handle and the door would release. Definitely a security issue especially when you take note that directly behind the Hampton is a very intimidating chain link fence with rolled barbed wire on the top of it protecting the business behind the hotel. It gives the impression that you may not be in the safest part of town.

As mentioned in other reviews, the carpet is very stained and needs to be replaced. It's appearance downgrades the entire hotel - it's that bad. There a few stained, soiled furniture pieces in front of the elevators that need to be removed also.

The beds linens, on the other hand, appeared to be updated and very clean. The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was also clean and had all the standard amenities of hotels in this level.

The breakfast was satisfactory and all items were in plentiful supply.

The hotel met our basic needs - a clean bed to sleep in and a decent breakfast. It would get a higher rating from us if it addressed the security issue and the carpet.

• Liked — Location, beds comfortable
  • Disliked — Security concerns, needs updating
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank rev5
hk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

while this Hampton Inn is nice, it is certainly not the best and cleanest Hampton I've come across.

Location: about 2 miles up from the San Marcos Prime Outlet (if you're driving southbound on I35, make sure you take exit 200 and go around the underpass -- the hotel is located along the frontage road behind a Chili's and Luby's cafeteria).

cleanliness: one of the previous reviews mentioned about the hotel carpet, and I must agree it was pretty dirty looking -- almost looks like it's been flooded before and the stains just remained. There is a strong deodorized scent throughout the room corridors, but overall the cleanliness issue amounts to what looks more like war-wounds from probably some wild Texas State post-game party.

rooms: furniture is a little dated, but the bed is just as good as any other Hampton. Bathroom is adequately sized, and the closet has iron and board included.

gym: 2 treadmills and a riding machine.

Pool: a little awkward looking as it's right on the parking lot -- other hampton Inn's I've stayed at has the pool kept at least a little more out of the way so you don't have to look at the cars parked about 5 feet away from the pool, as well as everyone taking their luggage on the way to the lobby.

Overall: decent Hampton, but certainly not the best and newest looking one I've seen. Broadband connection was very slow -- not even allowing my company vpn connection to work. The hotel's location gives you a feel of the highway motel variety while not being exactly 10 feet from the freeway. There're also conference facilities as I saw a group coming in and out of meetings. It's not a bad choice if you're going to San Marcos for a few days, or if you're heading to Austin but couldn't find a hotel in town -- the drive to Austin is only about 30 minutes **i.e. without traffic, and traffic gets as bad as LA during rush-hour (4pm - 7:30pm).

• Liked — not too far away from I-35
  • Disliked — cleanliness and interior of rooms
  • Stayed May 2007
3 Thank daijobu
Missouri City, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2007

My sister and I went to San Marcos for a girls weekend of shopping, and we stayed at this hotel. I have no complaints at all about it. The room was very comfortable and clean( it even got a tad bit cold for us, which is a first for me). Everyone was really nice and helpful. It is right down the road from the Outlet Malls and there are three resturants right by the hotel. Ok, I have ONE complaint.....there are two other hotels on the same property, and it is very confusing finding the right street that goes to the right hotel. We came to a few dead ends trying to get to our hotel. Other than that, it was a great stay.

• Liked — The beds were very comfy
  • Disliked — The streets leading to the hotels
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2007

I just returned from a one night stay at the Hampton Inn in San Marcos, let me start out by saying I have traveled all over the world, I usually stay with the Westin Chain so I am use to very nice hotels. The Hampton met my expectations by all means. From the friendly staff at the front desk, to the wonderful cont. breakfast, I was really impressed with it not being just ceral and bread, there was eggs, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, fruit, juices, coffee, bagels, muffins, the whole nine yards. The room was oversized with a comfortable bed. Upon departing we were given goodies bags for the road that had an apple, breakfast bar, muffin and bottled water. I highly recommend this hotel. It was less than 3 miles from the outlet shopping and within walking distance to Chili's, Red Lobster, and Luby's.

• Liked — the wonderful hotel
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends