“Comfortable”

La Quinta Inn San Marcos
Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed September 19, 2010

This hotel is not one of the recently remodeled La Quinta's but is was clean and comfortable. The night time staff was very personable and helpful. The morning guy was not so personable. The hair dryer in the room did not work and the refrigerator did not work either. Unfortunately we did not find out about the refrigerator until the next morning so my left over pizza I had planned to eat for breakfast spoiled. Other than that, the bed was very comfortable and the room was well equipped with other amenities. The continental breakfast was good with all of the usual stuff. Just remember when staying at this motel to check for home college sports games. There a was a football game this weekend and tailgating in the parking lot of the hotel. Also lots of noise from upstairs. Overall, we were happy with the room and would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 5, 2010

Stayed here to visit the Texas State University with my godson. The room was bright and cheery, clean and comfortable. It was not a Hilton or Marriott, but at the Triple A rate it was a very good value. The air conditioner worked well and the pool was nice. The breakfast was basic, but did include waffles and a boiled eggs in addition to juice, bagels and cereal. The free internet was nice.

The motel was on the feeder road to I-35 and there was no safe area to run (no side streets).

We ate at Logan's. My godson had the fried catfish and I had the tilapia, neither of us thought the meal was very good.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2010

We stayed here on an overnight trip to visit Austin with our 8 month old daughter and another couple, in separate rooms. We got checked in by an extraordinarily rude woman, who I asked to put us in rooms near each other, and she said yes. We checked in, and when our friends checked in, at the same time, she put us in separate buildings! When I questioned her, she very rudely told me that it was not possible after she had just told me yes 5 minutes earlier. She spoke to me like I was a 5 year old being chastised.

On to the room: If you stay here, ask to be in the newer building, because the rooms in the older building are horrible. OLD and dirty, it reminded me of a $39 a night roadside motel. The shower was moldy and you could here everything going on next door. The older building also has outdoor entrances, which is not acceptable in this price range.

Also, we requested a crib for our daughter, and something straight out of 1970 got delivered to our room. It was so old and rickety, I refused to put my daughter in it, which meant we had to sleep with her in our bed, which of course means we got no sleep.

Breakfast was not good at all. Bread items and some yogurt cups were about it, and possibly the worst coffee I have ever tasted.

On a positive note, they do allow dogs for no charge, which I found helpful, and they have a doggie area, but it was disgusting!

Overall, stay here only if there is no other choice. Not worth the $100 we paid for it!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I was hesitant to stay here after reading some of the other reviews but it was the best hotel available for a one night stay with my son for a college visit. I have to say, I was very pleasantly surprised, although the hotel is not new we found the room clean, comfortable and well maintained. The breakfast was the same as other similar hotels and even though the dining room was small we were able to get a table to sit down. My son loved the waffles, a protein would be nice to add to the menu but there was plenty of options to choose from. It was very convenient to the university and the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I read the reviews and was hesitant, but was pleasantly surprised upon my arrival. Its a terrific location and the front desk was very cheerful and efficient. My room? Its a motel. That said, the room was very nice! The vanity area was huge. The bedroom area, fresh. Lots of work area on the table they provided. The bed, VERY comfortable. Clean, no bugs (like other reviewers had said), and comfortable. THAT SAID... the "passthrough" doors between my room and the next room were paper thin. It may as well been a screen door. The couple in the next room? They got up at 6:30 a.m. (I had hoped to sleep until 9:00 a.m.) and, well, "enjoyed each other" loudly for a very long time. Even a pillow over my head didn't help. I could hear every word. Is it the hotel's fault that my neighbors were loud? No. But the construction didn't allow for any privacy either. So, if you have good quiet neighbors, this is a great value and a pleasant surprise. I'll leave it up to you to decide...

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 18, 2009

My mother, daughter and I stayed at this hotel for a “girls long weekend” from Thursday, June 11th to Sunday, June 14th. We went to the San Marcos area because we planned to tube the Comal River one day, go to Schlitterbahn-New Braunfels the next, and then to shop at the San Marcos outlet malls the next. This hotel was very convenient to everything listed above. The San Marcos outlet malls were just a few exits up the road and New Braunfels (Comal River & Schlitterbahn) was only about a 15-20 minute drive. We also drove into Austin one night for a ghost tour and that was only about a 20 minute drive.

I booked this hotel through the actual La Quinta website and paid $70/night thanks to the military discount they offer. This hotel was listed on the discount hotel sites for around $85 a night so we came out much better booking it directly (moral of the story is to always check ALL sites including the hotel/rental car/airline actual website before booking a hotel because even though discount travel sites guarantee the lowest rates they are not always the cheapest.)

Even though the majority of our plans centered around New Braunfels Im still glad we stayed in San Marcos because we were away from the rowdy party crowds and we also saved a ton of money by staying a few minutes up the road. This La Quinta was much nicer than the one I stayed at in Austin over New Years. This La Quinta was very clean, it had very comfortable beds, an a/c that worked great, and it had free wifi which had an excellent connection. The front desk had no problem giving us extra towels (Ive stayed at various hotels over the years that have told me they were out of extra towels) and the shower had plenty of hot water and good water pressure.

I liked the fact that the shower/tub combo and toilet were separate from the mirror/sink/vanity in the bathroom. This is very important for me because when everything is combined the bathroom gets hot and steamy which makes it very uncomfortable to get ready (apply make-up and dry/fix your hair) and it also slows me down if Im not traveling alone since other people need to take showers as well. I also liked the fact that the bathroom had an exhaust fan. This is also very important for me because it helps suck out the hot humid air when you are taking a shower. The vanity was very large so it was easy to work with all my make-up and hair products.

I also felt very safe at this hotel unlike the La Quinta I stayed at in Austin over New Years. There were lots of families with children staying at this hotel. It was never loud even though the hotel appeared to be pretty full and our room was located in the middle section of the hotel in the building where all the rooms opened to the exterior (there is a separate building on the property where all the rooms open to an indoor hallway but the lady at the front desk said the rooms were smaller in that building) and the hotel is located right off the feeder road on the interstate. I do sleep with ear plugs in but I also stay up pretty late and I never heard any loud noises. Our room was also located on the opposite side of the hotel from the pool and had we stayed near the pool it might have been loud but I never saw anybody in the pool so maybe not.

The hotel does offer free breakfast. Im not sure what time they start serving but if I remember correctly they stop serving at 9am during the week and at 9:30am on the weekends. We never got up and got dressed early enough to take advantage of the breakfast so I cant comment on that. There are lots of restaurants in close proximity to this hotel but none that you could walk to unless you wanted to walk down the feeder road for a good distance. I didn’t really watch TV so I cant comment on the channel selection but my daughter did watch Disney Channel so they at least have that.

Now for the negatives. The hotel is located just off the interstate but it’s a little confusing on how you have to get there if you are coming from the direction of New Braunfels. You have to exit and drive through a light and drive a ways down and then make a U-turn to get to the hotel. I made the mistake of turning at the light thinking I could access the hotel that way and I could not so I had to drive a ways down on the feeder and loop back around and it was annoying.

This hotel has NO elevators and our room was located on the 2nd floor. It wasn’t much fun dragging all our luggage up a flight of stairs. I asked if the separate building with room doors that opened to an interior hallway had an elevator and the front desk told me that it did not (and she also said the rooms were smaller.)

At night there was not much parking on our side of the hotel and one night we had to park on the opposite side of the hotel. It wasn’t a big deal though because there was a breeze way that cut through the middle of the hotel so we were able to easily access our room on the opposite side of the hotel.

I would stay here again for sure if I were going to Schlitterbahn, the Comal River, or to shop at the outlet malls.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2009

We arrived and were greeted fairly quickly by the staff.I've dealt with La Quinta so we opted to stay with someone we knew. The room was 119 for a Saturday night... The parking lot was nice and we managed to park right in front of our room. The room we stayed in had roaches crawling IN THE BED WHILE WE SLEPT! The rooms are cheaply built. We could hear water running through the pipes upstairs and the room opposite of us when someone jumped in the tub!! We could hear heavy stomping foot steps from the upstairs all night long as people moved about. The place was flooded with dead silverfish in the lighting fixtures/lamps and even in the picture on the wall. The room was fairly clean and new looking so no issues there. If you want a decent nights sleep don't sleep here.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple