La Quinta Inn San Marcos
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is average, maybe a little above average. The rooms were ok but nothing special. It got loud pass 10:30 pm. Not sure what that was about. The breakfast was ok but did not have a great selection. The morning front desk acted like they didn't want to be interrupted.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Ya get what ya pay for here. This is type of spot where you book your baseball team, dance team or youth group just to swim, slepp, clean up and or pass out. One night was enough-maybe two just as long as I didnt make it three.
This rink is older and painted over a few times- this time a lovley yellow-brush off the yellow catagory.
I think the Marx brothers where staying above me, I could here every creaking step until I put in the ever so important travel ear plugs. If you dont travel with two sets, well you deserve a bad nights sleep in any hotel.
Bed was comfy, towels were harsh, thin and abrasive for older folks.Soaps, shampoos-uh... ya get what ya pay for, right. TV , romote, guide were great and rm 135 a/c cranked down low ranked with the best in this hotel catagory of " Road Travelers No Frills".
The breakfast area was a small horse pen which grew pretty tight when all the circus folks began to gather for there morning feeding. I've seen more room in a caboose, treat your self to the economy. It's a college town and find food is cheap- unless your cheap- good luck with the waffel slop shop.
In the morning-and this is not a joke- I just got up at 0840 and heard, clunk, "LAUNDRY"! You need LUANDRY"?- 10 mins after that- the old Fav - "HOUSEKEEPING"!!

Look, it is what it is- kids dont care and neither should you, after all your not going to live there-I hope.
A true back to a back up hotel whan all else is booked out -like this time. Just be thankful they are nice and dedicated group of folks, after all.... it is what it is. Sleep tight.

Room Tip: Get a room way in the back not up front and the pool was clean and the students were nice enough-aft...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TexasOps
A TripAdvisor Member
Carrollton, Texas, USA
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We have stayed at the La Quinta in San Marcos several times when visiting our daughter at Texas State. It is very convenient to campus. The rooms are always clean, the beds very comfortable and the breakfast is good - nothing elaborate, but all you need in the morning. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2013

It's okay if you are there just for one night, to sleep. Even that maybe problematic, like it was with us. We were there for one night for our son's MBA graduation ceremony. the air conditioner was off when we entered and as soon as we turned it on, it came on with a loud metallic vibrating sound and continued as long as the unit was running. I called the front desk and Olga, who had checked us in, and was a very pleasant person, came immediately to see and tried to fix it. The unit had stopped for the cycle. When it started again, we found that nothing had changed. We were going out for dinner, and she told us that she would have somebody look at it while we were out. We came back after an hour, and it was the same. Since it was graduation day at the State University, she could only offer us a room upstairs in the separate wing, which was not convenient, since I'm suffering from some knee problem and climbing stairs is not possible. Since it was quite late to look for and change to another hotel, we stayed the night and didn't get much sleep because every time the unit cranked up, it would make the loud vibrating sound that continued till it would stop, to start again after a few minutes all over again.
The room was overall clean, but lacked the thoroughness. The baseboards and the edges needed cleaning, so did the corners in the bathrooms. The bathroom is small and is separate from the area of the sink and vanity and there is no door between that area and the bedroom. So changing clothes became a little challenging.
The good point of this hotel were their front desk staff, Olga and the young man the next morning. Both were extremely friendly and helpful.
Would I use this hotel again, no, unless there is nothing else available.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 5, 2013

La Quinta always seems to be clean, and is always dog friendly. Those are the main concerns I always have when I'm out of town. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially when my dog Bubba came to visit me the second night. Thank You.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2013

First off, we are not some of "those people" whose "entire stay was ruined because the lobby doors did not automatically open on approach" or some other silliness like that but this appears to be an older/well worn property with a few problems. We were assigned a room across the parking lot in an unattached building. Problems: The first was the almost overpowering smell of Simple Green when we entered the building. Second, The room had a few marks, stains, scrapes,dings, and dents on the walls and ceiling. A couple of the lamp shades were askew, when I tried to straighten them I noticed a good amount of dust build up on the bulbs and inside the lampshade. Third, the soap holder in shower had either been broken off or rusted off leaving a couple of broken bolts that were making rust stains down the wall. The shower and tub fixtures had a lot of hard water build up on them.The silvering was coming off the bathroom mirror. Fourth, the drain on the sink leaked and made a rather large puddle on the floor. Fifth, there was a cracked (albeit small) window. The blow dryer had a lot of dust on the intake screen. Sixth, I never did completely figure out the lighting controls. It seemed like there was one switch that let you turn all the lights on and you could turn individual lights off after that but you could not turn them back on again - a very strange set up. Seventh, the WiFi was so weak I couldn't get a signal in the room and had to go out in the hall near the entry door to get connected. The GFI circuit plug near the bathroom vanity was pretty loose and I almost pulled it out of the wall when I unplugged the coffee maker.
On the other hand, The lobby seemed clean, well lit and inviting. Olga checked us in and was very pleasant and professional. She explained everything we needed to know and was speedy in the check-in process. The room was probably a few square feet bigger than most McHotel rooms and had a slightly different configuration with some interesting angular walls. As close as we were to the highway I was only awakened a couple of times by traffic noise and those were 18 wheelers using the engine brake when exiting the freeway. The room seemed relatively clean (but not as neat as it could of been). The free breakfast was pretty standard fare for a hotel with no complaints there. (One note, people who complained of the small seating area in previous posts did not see the sign that offered more seating up the stairs on the second level) When we checked out and told the desk clerk about the leaking drain she immediately left the desk for moment I assume to tell somebody about it after making a handwritten note on some paper next to the computer. Some people complained of their room not being ready on time when they tried to check in. We checked in between 4:00 and 4:15 pm and there were no problems.
All in all, would I stay here again? I might but not before looking at other properties in the area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple