“Moldy bathroom, loud even after midnight, rude breakfast staff”

Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, San Marcos, TX
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night after staying at other Country Inns and this hotel was not up to par. The bathroom had mold up the walls, in the tub, and around the floors. It was totally unsanitary. This could be solved by just a little bleach. The hotel was filled with families, but even after midnight there were doors slamming and people yelling and jumping. The next morning, when at breakfast the staff was very curt and rude when asked for any assistance at all. We were there toward the end of serving time, and as soon as the time was reached, they started to pick up the food( expected) but then they turned off all the lights even though there were 5 families still in the breakfast area finishing up! We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank kathy m
VikashPatel, Manager at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, San Marcos, TX, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

I am so sorry that you had a bad experience at our Hotel. Our Maintenance & Breakfast staff have been notified and have corrected the issues. Please feel free to contact me at 512-392-8111 or email me at vic.patel@countryinns.com and we will make sure you're next stay with us is above and beyond satisfactory. Look forward to hearing from you soon! Sincerely, Vic Patel

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Liked the room we stayed in - nice high ceiling which made the room seem even larger. Especially liked it because we had requested ground floor and got a room near the exit & parking lot. Room was clean and fresh. Breakfast was OK - but I did wonder if the eggs & potatoes wer actually at health department standards for warmth. They seemed a little cold, but were tasty. I would suggest they add vent fans to the bathrooms. Our only complaint was that there were lots of middle school students staying in the hotel and although they were not noisy in the halls, the seemingly endless shutting & slamming of doors was unnerving. Maybe the maintenance folk could work on this problem so the doors wouldn't be so noisy when closing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Much lies beneath the surface of this hotel. It looks OK from the outside, but no sooner had we gotten in the room, I found a 1 inch roach staring at me on the wall. After killing that one, my girlfriend left for dinner in San Marcos. I mentioned the roach to the front desk and was told if I saw more they would change room for me, but that it was a rare occurrence.
***I should insert here that both my girlfriend and I are flight attendants for one of the worlds largest airlines with a combined 46 years of service with the same company so we are supremely qualified in the area of what is acceptable in hotel stays.***
Soon after we returned, my girlfriend went to sleep and I watched some TV then started seeing roach after roach! While closing all the bags up to prevent them getting in, one crawled out of my medicine bag. Some chocolate that I purchased in Italy for my girlfriend had roaches in it and had to be thrown out. I hardly got any sleep as I was thoroughly skeeved out!
This hotel is disgusting and a health risk to anyone staying there!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill F
Carlson Hotels C, Carlson at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, San Marcos, TX, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

On behalf of the entire staff at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Marcos, TX, we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers. We are sincerely sorry about the concerns you mentioned, and we want you to know we take this very seriously. We have shared your review with our management team and we will do everything to make sure this does not happen again. I hope this does not leave a bad taste for our brand, as we hope you will come back so we can make sure to exceed your expectations.

Please contact via our website if you would like further assistance.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Front desk service was not overly friendly, but she was efficient and prepared for us. We had requested a crib, and it was already in our room waiting when we checked in. I was a little concerned about noise since the hotel is right beside the interstate and we also had a room right beside the elevator, but we weren't disturbed by anything. Breakfast was ok, filling and free. The potatoes were tasty. I would have to say the housekeeping staff is what makes this hotel stand out! Everything about this hotel was super clean!! We had two encounters with very friendly, courteous housekeeping staff. I accidentally left two personal items in our room when we checked out, and the housekeeper had met us in hallway as we were leaving, so she found us in the parking lot with my phone and baby gear. She really went above and beyond...wish I had gotten her name!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mandmslover
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband I discovered this chain on our last vacation, because we perfer a one bedroom suite when we travel with our teen. It just gives everyone their space. We have stayed in different Country Inn & Suites throughout the country at least 8 times this year, and have never had a problem. We had read on Tripadvisor of maintance issues with this hotel, but figured we would take our chances.

This hotel is clean, including our room. The door between the bedroom and the rest of the room is a glass french door. The breakfast was ok...not as good as some of the others that we have stayed. It was also in a convinent location for what we were doing. We checked in a little early, turned on the AC and took off shopping. When we got back 5 hours later (around 6:30) the room was still hot. We called the desk (it was 83 degrees in our room), not horrible, but not really comfortable at all. The first thing that we discovered is there is no maintenance person on site because the desk person came up and tried to fix it. When we left for dinner, the desk person said that she was working on it...no problem, we could deal with that. When we got back, we asked her about the progress - she had forgot about us. We were later told there was nothing she could do and that they were entirely booked. By this time it was around 85 degrees in our room.

We opened our window, which I was surprised that we could do since we were on the 4th floor, and had to sleep with the window open all night. The hotel was located next to an interstate so we had to listen to traffic, horns and sirenes all night long, a hellicopter (air life??) around 2:00 and very loud nasty fight from the community behind the hotel (not a great neighborhood) around 3:00. Needless to say, we were lucky to get 3-4 hours of sleep that night. The hotel manager did comp our room 50%. The manager said they have never had a problem with the AC's before. I told him that is not true because I had read about problems on tripadvisor. He said that was only with window units, not central AC's.

I would definately use the chain again, but don't think I will be staying at this particular hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2012

The staff at this hotel are very rude. The policy at this hotel is to scam you if you use priceline to bid on a room. Priceline quotes a $3 upgrade charge for 2 queen beds. We were told very rudely that we would have to pay $15 and if we did not like it, all of us could just sleep in the king bed. I spoke with 2 managers and got the same rude response. We spend approximately 50 nights a year in hotels and will NEVER stay here again! We have had hotels across the USA happily give us 2 queen beds on a Priceline room purchase. This hotel was not even close to full. They don't care about customer service, they just want your money! The room was not too bad, just had some black mold in the bathtub and 2 of the lights did not work in our room. There are lots of hotels to choose from, do yourself a favor and don't choose this one.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here. If you use Priceline, you are only guaranteed the absolute minimum! If yo...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank David S
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support, Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group at Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, San Marcos, TX, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience at our hotel.

We apologize for the poor service you received from our staff during your stay. That is definitely not up to the standards we set for customer service, and corporate has been notified. We will be investigating this matter to ensure poor service such as this does not continue. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact Carlson Customer Care at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Great bed, large room. Smells nice. Had some stains on carpet (rm 222). Bathroom clean. Front desk friendly and professional. Had computer room. Indoor pool. The breakfast was very good. Plenty variety, eggs, sausage, waffles, fruit. Great. Good location. A little pricey but it was a special weekend.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple