“good home base”

Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Urbana, Illinois
“good home base”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed three nights with my daughter while we were in San Marcos for orientation for Texas State. It was quite good for that purpose. It was close to I35 (right off) and close to the campus. The room was clean and large. The breakfast was good and offered some healthy options like oatmeal ( a big vat of cooked oatmeal, not the instant packets), fruit, and boiled eggs. There was a "room service" option where a third party company handled the orders and delivered the food to our room. It was affordable and the food was good. The front desk staff (I interacted with two different people) were not unfriendly, but were not particularly friendly or helpful. They were a bit stand offish. There was some noise on our floor because there were lots of children and teens. Overall, a good place for us for the purpose we were there. I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

My first impression of the place, i walked in to check in and the 2 ladies standing there didnt acknowledge me or even look up, they said hi looking down at the computer. They werent friendly at all. The rooms were gross, a cockroach was crawling around when we first walked in. The rooms smelled like an old sweaty shoe, i had to grab the cleaning crew to get some febreeze. Unless they give you a deal, Skip this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank DJh870
Spring, TX
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My family and I stay here about twice a year when we visit San Marcos, and have done so for the past few years. I really like that I know exactly what to expect - friendly service, a nice clean room, fitness room, free breakfast and fresh cookies! I've also made use of the lending library a couple of times as well. I think it is reasonably priced for what you get and conveniently located to the amenities in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not on the other side of the wall from the ice machine.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Alice, Texas
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This hotel is so welcoming, starting with the front desk clerks who are professional and quick along with the coffee and cookies in the main lobby make you feel right at home. I arrived this weekend without a reservation but was given the last room and it was quiet and relaxing. The indoor pool and hot tub are fantastic and the location to the outlet malls is the best, just a couple of miles down the road, there is also a Texas Road house restaurant nearby. Breakfast has different stations of foods and so much better than most hotels that are at the same rate. I have stayed at so many different hotels in San Marcos while visiting family in town and this hotel is the best choice.

Room Tip: Top floors so you don't hear people walking above you.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrea S
New Sharon, IA
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We were awake all night with the sound of crickets. By morning we had killed 6 of them in our room. They were everywhere.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy M
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Marcos, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
We understand your frustration! Every year, It is "cricket season" here in Central Texas from June to October. Most Hill Country residents are familiar with "cricket season" -- that time in early summer when those pesky bugs try to enter into our buildings to keep cool. This summer's unseasonably cool and rainy season has brought many crickets. Our Staff, as well as other local hotels & businesses in the area are working hard to keep them out.
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed June 8, 2012

First impression of the hotel was very nice. Once we received our room (king suite) which was # 407 things took a turn. Immediately when we walked in the room we were overwhelmed by the smell of urine. I contacted the front desk and without hesitation we were moved to another suite. The other suite was much nicer without the odor. The pool and hot tub are nice both located indoors, open until midnight. Breakfast not so much, it's about the average here as it is at a Hamptons or Comfort Suites. Overall nice place, good location. We would stay here again for sure

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, San Marcos, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I apologize for the problems you had with the first room you checked into, and am very pleased you enjoyed the rest of your stay. Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again. Vic Patel, General Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Noisiest air conditioner on the planet. For all that it did a poor job of actually cooling the room. I am writing this review instead of sleeping. I also keep checking the mattress for bugs because I can't stop itching since I laid down. Supposedly we got a "free upgrade" to their biggest room because we didn't book on line. I think they took us for people who wouldn't know how to write a review on line. The Internet works, I'll say that.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel.
Stayed May 2012, traveled with family