“Not the best hotel!”

Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Dallas, Texas
“Not the best hotel!”
Reviewed August 12, 2007

We booked through priceline and got the room for $78 which I suppose makes it a bit better, it would have been an even bigger disapointment if the room was full price ($99) Overall it just seems to be an older hotel, the comforter looked 20 years old, the room was very dark and grungy feeling although it was fairly clean. It just looked like a blast from 1975. On a good note I thought the staff was wonderful, they were so nice, they were the only reedeming quality of the hotel. In the hotels defense I can say I did not see much that looked much nicer (from the outside anyway) maybe the Hampton or the Quality Inn may be better but they are all pretty much the same type stuff.

• Liked — Nice Staff
  • Disliked — old dark dank room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DebtFreeGirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dallas,Texas
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Stay Away! The management was rude and agrgumentaive. My room was not
even ready when I arrived, the maid walked in on me while I was naked
without even knocking, my wake up call came late- the second wake up call never came, the manger was too busy arguing with me that he handed me someone else's credit card and drivers license. Thats the kind of service you can expect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Binghamton, NY
Reviewed November 5, 2006

We just got back from a stay at the Holiday-Inn Express San Marcos. Unlike previous reviewers, we enjoyed our stay at the hotel. The staff was incredibaly friendly, always there to help. The breakfast was above average for the type of hotel it is, and the beds were very comfortable with some sort of foam topper. The showers were spacious and the room was very clean. The hot tub was not as warm as I expected, but still provided great relief on a chilly night. There are some nice restaurants near the hotel, within walking distance, and its not too far from Texas State. I'm not sure where the previous reviewer made his reservations, but my reservations from holiday-inn.com could have been cancelled up until 6pm the night I checked in, so keep that in mind.

• Liked — Breakfast, service
  • Disliked — Elevators, Outdoor Pool
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
ohio
Reviewed September 22, 2006

This hotel is very tired and in need of an upgrade. Dirty. Sub standard and a high price.($99) I would expect to pay not more than $59 for a hotel of this caliber. They also have a no cancel policy. That should have been our first clue this is a property to avoid. There is a nice Hampton and a new Comfort Suites at this same exit. I would definately recommend staying at one of those other properties.

• Disliked — needs total updating
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else...Hampton or Cumfort Suites
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed June 28, 2006

I stayed here for a little over a week. Have to say it was nothing too impressive. Sort of overpriced I would have to say, but the room I got was huge, that was a plus. The breakfast is okay, I didn't like it too much as it doesn't have that many options.

Overall, for the same value and price, the Hampton Inn across the street is definitely a better bang for your buck. It's much newer, has nicer amenities, and the breakfast is much better. Both the hotels are the same price, but the Hampton is sold out a lot so you have to book in advance.

Overall, I would say my experience was okay, what I would expect from any Holiday Inn Express..........

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank worldsport
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 19, 2006

I am a constant traveler, and on my first stay in San Marcos, Texas, I was greeted by the most professional and courteous staff I have ever come across. I will definitely be going back to the Holiday Inn Express, if not on business, then hopefully on pleasure.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2005

The Holiday Inn Express in San Marcos Texas had the potential to be a very nice inexpensive place to stay. However, the cavalier attitude of the staff and the management leads me ultimately to give a blase to poor rating. My family, including two small children, spouse and mother had booked two rooms, carefully noting on the reservation that we wanted adjoining rooms. We called the day before arrival reminding them that we wanted adjoining rooms. When we arrived, the checkin clerk informed us that they had not been able to accomodate our request-- we understood this was something that they could not guarantee. I asked if they could change us in the morning to adjoining rooms and he said that they would try. I explained that we planned to be at Schlitterbahn all day, but he said that they would move our bags if we left them packed and by the door, assuming that they could accomodate them. I mentioned this arrangement to the morning clerk and she made a note to that effect as I stood there. When we returned in the afternoon, the afternoon clerk told me that he was so sorry that he had not known about our request, because he could have given us adjoining rooms but it was too late. He then went on to tell me that he is the only competent member of the staff and that if we wanted something taken care of, we should have spoken to him (a lot of good that did us!). I brought up my concerns to the manager as we were checking out and was told first that the afternoon clerk is "bombastic" but just trying to be "friendly". He then told me that they were not allowed to move our luggage anyway. Ultimately, he said "what do you want me to do about it?"-- not exactly the competence or compassion that we were hoping for. At that point, I mentioned their "satisfaction guarantee" that is widely publicized at that hotel and was told "this is not the sort of circumstance for a refund." So apparently, MY satisfaction is not terribly important.
There are also issues relating to security at this hotel, in that doors that are supposed to be locked 24 hours a day and accessible only by key card, are not.

14 Thank KatB0518