“Non-smoking room stunk like smoke”

Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Reviewed July 13, 2012

We're staying here and going to Schlitterbahn tomorrow. It's close by to all the hill country attractions. Good service, bathroom was cramped and toilet clogged very easily. We were on the third floor and had a non smoking room but it reeked of smoke from the floor below us and made my eyes itch. Pool was relaxing and clean. Rooms and sheets are clean. Bed is lumpy from the bed protector and too firm. Not sure if we will come back, only if we can be sure the room was away from the smoking section.

• Stayed: July 2012

Reviewed June 11, 2012

I decided to take a family member and friend down to New Braunfels to float the river on Memorial Day weekend......well needless to say my favorite hotel down in New Braunfels was booked and was only allowing 2 night or more stays so we opted to stay at the Holiday Inn Express. The staff was friendly and did everything in their power to make our stay comfortable. However the hotel seemed VERY dirty. Mold in the shower area, a distinct smell of water damage and mold in the room. As a LAST MINUTE option we would stay again based upon the staff...but would go out of our way to think ahead next time.

Room Tip: Rooms on back side facing away from the freeway are quiter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JulesBaum
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed here for the 2nd time in May of 2012. The local university puts me up here each time. It is about. 45 min. shuttle ride from Austin airport. There isn't much around the hotel except for a Comfort Inn. There is not much to walk to because it is right on the major highway. I really like the hotel lobby. It is actually a very large dining room with a leather couch and flatscreen TV. There is 24-hour coffee and tea available. This is one of the places where you can serve yourself breakfast in the morning. Check-in was easy and the staff very friendly. The rooms are clean and fairly modern with a refrigerator and coffee. Towels and other amenities are fine. Air-conditioning was excellent and you will need it in May! Beds are very comfortable and I like the fact that there is a readily available electrical plug beside the bed for my CPAP. Breakfast is actually quite good. You serve yourself. They had biscuits and gravy and sausage patties as well as the usual cereal and other pastries. coffee is quite decent. The lobby is kind of a gathering place and I find it very cozy. The hotel was busy, especially with a lot of young people but I never heard any noise. My only mild complaint is that the business center is located between 2 entrance doors to the hotel and it is hot and steamy to be in there for any length of time. There is free Internet. There is a workout room and a pool outside. It is a short walk to a Chili's, red lobster and McDonald's. There are 2 outlet malls about 10 min. away. You have to to take a taxi because it is too dangerous to walk along the highway. I was slightly annoyed that the front desk did not know what a cab ride would cost. I found out that it is $14 for a cab ride to the outlet malls. There is one taxi service in San Marcus called Aloha taxi. There are only about 3 drivers on the time but I had no trouble getting a And the drivers are very friendly. It is about a $10 cab ride to downtown San Marcus. Warning–downtown San Marcos is a college town and is basically about 30 bars and pool halls.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bill H
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We had a great time at the hotel. Tony and David were very helpful at the front desk. Overall it was clean and the suite we stayed in was nice.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 3, 2012

A friend and I stayed here after a shopathon at the outlet mall. The bed was definitely more comfortable than some much nicer hotels I've stayed in. The room was clean and nice and big for 2 people, although the bathroom was a little cramped in comparison. Nice sized fridge and counter area in the room. The hotel breakfast was mainly just pastries and cereal and I was a bit dissapointed after I had read reviews raving about breakfast. Plus, by the time we went down (About 9 so not absurdly late or anything) they were out of coffee, did not restock it, and didn't have any Diet Coke (my caffeine of choice.) The hotel is tucked back in a row of hotels at the intersection and we both kept accidently missing the turn, but maybe because we aren't familiar with the area. I would definitely stay here again, but just make other breakfast plans.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sara78412
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights. The price was fair for the area and the breakfast that is included was better than expected. The hotel is very easy to get to. We did not like the beds. They were just worn out and in need of replacement. Lumpy and uncomfortable. They clearly had seen better days. We woke up each morning wanting to get out of bed quickly because of the poor bed quality. Do not stay here if bad beds bother your back.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Wingate by Wyndham San Marcos, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Dear Houstontravellovers,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as our breakfast. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry you were not fully satisfied with the sleep accommodations received. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 22, 2012

It is a Holiday Inn Express. We all know the hotel and this one right off I-35 in San Marcos, Texas was very similar to any other Holiday Inn Express Hotels you might stay in around this nation. Still, the service was very good, the staff very kind and professional and the room was clean with a comfortable bed and pillows.

The breakfast is served downstairs in the lobby area. I wish it had a little more variety and I gotta say the scrambled eggs.....need some work to say the least, but it's a good hotel and for the location, price and staff it's worth the stay when you are in San Marcos, Texas.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family