“Average, Traditional, Exterior Entry Motel”
Review of Motel 6 San Marcos

Motel 6 San Marcos
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
Texas
“Average, Traditional, Exterior Entry Motel”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I recently stayed here to move my daughter back home for the summer from Texas State Univ. It's located approx 5 minutes from the college and just a short distance North of the outlets on I35. The room was clean and cooled well. I think the bed coverings and carpet were fairly new. The breakfast is barely worth mentioning, but at the room rate I paid, I didn't expect much. In fact, I was able to stay here TWO nights for less than one night at one of the "Inns" located just a little further South on I35, on the opposite side. I'm budget conscious, especially when I'm simply sleeping and bathing somewhere. I was pleased with my stay and the low rate.

Room Tip: I chose an upstairs room to simply avoid any noise that might occur staying on the bottom. I think...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HelloDolphin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Normal, Il
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I stayed at the Ramada Limited with a large group - about 30 people - for 5 nights. The management here is not good about accommodating large groups. And, I don't think it's that they don't want to be accommodating, I think that maybe they haven't had to travel with a big group on a tight schedule and just don't understand what good hotels do to make it easier. Despite booking nearly a year in advance, our rooms were scattered all over the motel which was a hassle. Moreover, most Wyndham-chain hotels are really good about offering discounts and making adjustments to get groups like ours to return. Managers are usually very helpful about helping us to figure out where to eat and are very gracious about facilitating check-in and check-out around our difficult schedule and until this visit, I have NEVER had a manager say no to opening the continental breakfast a little earlier than usual. However, the management at the Ramada Limited closes and locks the lobby overnight, so we couldn't even go in and sit down while waiting for the breakfast to open, and their start time meant that we had to eat in 5 minutes which is just not going to happen with so many people in this tiny lobby.

The good:
1) There are a TON of outlets in the rooms. If you have a lot of gadgets, you'll be able to charge everything easily. I counted 14 unused outlets in my room. I really appreciated not having to unplug the alarm clock or lights to plug in my phone.

2) Some upgrades made the room very comfortable - new counter, new carpet, etc.

3) Decent wireless internet - not fast, but not the worst I've ever used

4) Housekeeping was very friendly and does a great job on the day-to-day cleanings.

Now the problems:

1) The lobby is not open all night, and doesn't open early for breakfast. I was here for an event at Texas State that started early in the morning. There were several groups here for the same event, and when we asked if early breakfast would be an option, we were told "maybe 10 minutes" and then they couldn't do that. Imagine 50+ people trying to get a cup of coffee at the same time. We had to go buy a coffeepot and breakfast items just so we could leave on time.

2) The coffee is DISGUSTING. Don’t even bother.

3) The coverlets are gross. I understand not washing or replacing them with every guest, but if you get a spot that looks like blood on the coverlet, you really should wash or replace it.

4) Because of the one-way access roads, the location is very inconvenient for getting to restaurants. I think next time I’ll stay somewhere that is walking distance to restaurant options to make it easier for the group to get around.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed April 26, 2012

The room was adequate for the price. The bed and pillows were comfortable, but the towels felt like sandpaper. The room was clean, but the air conditioner and refrigerator did not seem to cool as expected. The location was convenient to Texas State.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 17, 2012

It was run down and didn't feel clean. There was a very strong musty smell in our room. There were stains and body hair on pillows on both beds when I pulled back the pillowcases. When shown other rooms, I pulled back the pillow case with the manager standing there - there was a hair in the middle of a big stain. The manager did take our pillows and comforters and wash them for us. Our family rented six rooms for my brother's wedding and some had to change rooms due to the quality. One family member refused to stay there and went to another hotel. There was slime by the ice machine and my aunt (who is in her upper 60's) slipped and fell on it. When she reported it to the front desk, they simply asked, "Are you OK?" I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor closer to the office are the best you'll get at t his hotel, but the o...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Roanoke, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 4, 2012

If you like doors that don't open or shut, sandpaper towels, cold showers, a toilet that doesn't work, and the sound of highway traffic at night, this place is perfect for you. It is what you pay for and things consistently went wrong. We got the double queen beds and it was a good sized room but it's definitely not the cleanest hotel I've been in. First of all, upon trying to get into the room, the door was very difficult to push open and once you get it open you have to forcefully shut it. Within five minutes of being there I go to use the restroom and reach for toilet paper and it falls to the ground because they didnt have a toilet paper roll holder... they just set it there thinking we wouldn't notice. Tards. and the next morning my mom uses the restroom and the toilet handle doesnt want to flush so we had to use the office restroom all day. We go to take a shower and it has one temperature and one temperature only. (let me give you a hint, its not hot...) and once you get out of this awesome bathroom experience you get the luxury of drying yourself with sandpaper... The only great thing about the hotel was breakfast. Oh and dont even bother bringing your dog. Its 20 dollars a night per dog, 50 if you bring a dog and they find out you didnt pay 20. Also... and this is the icing on the cake.. upon checking in they want your credit card number for "incidentials"... uhh... yeah.. okay. because people are definitely going to steal your sandpaper towels. They totally set us up for everything that went wrong and they wanted my credit card number to charge us for their door, their toilet, their toilet paper roll holder, and anything else faulty in that room. Lucky for us, we booked on expedia and they didn't have access to my credit card. My best advice... pay the extra fifty to stay at Best Western. Ramada Limited is a joke. and its RIGHT off the highway.. so its unsafe, and if you're going out shopping you have to pass the place by like a mile and turn around to get to it. It's not very convenient. And if you do have pets... all they give you is a patch of grass right outside the hotels main office... Do not waste your time.

Room Tip: Idk if there are any good rooms... But I would recommend second floor for safety reasons
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
peteaustin, Manager at Motel 6 San Marcos, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments from your stay with us. We apologize for the problems you experienced. I have shared this information with our team to ensure we correct these issues. We appreciate your business and please contact me if I can provide any assistance to you. Pete Dhana, General Manager.
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Room not well maintained. could not hardly push door open. 2 thin towels in a 4 person room. no bathroom rug.a/c did not work properly. musty smell.bathroom door missing paint. cig burns in room.

• Stayed February 2012
Thank you for your comments from your stay with us. We apologize for the inconvinence with maintanence and housekeeping. problems . I have shared this information with our team to ensure we correct these issues. We appreciate your business and please contact me if I can provide any assistance to you. Pete Dhana, General Manager.
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Went to San Marcos for a day of shopping and stayed over at Ramada. Did not have a reservation beforehand, but managed to get 2 double queen rooms. The rates were very reasonable but you do get what you pay for. The room was simple and adequate, the ac/heater was old and the knob needs to be replaced. The mattress looks old and felt very springy, not the best bed we have slept on. Breakfast area was small and simple, enough to fill the stomach and not much else.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family