“Extreme lack of concern relating to customer service”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Fortunately I was able to avoid what I’m sure would have been a very disappointing experience at the Embassy Suites in San Marcos, Tx. I plan to host guests for lunch Easter and I am looking for a nice place so I thought of the Embassy Suites. I have never been there but thought it might offer something special for the holiday. I called to see what their menu was for Easter Sunday lunch but was transferred to the voice mailbox of someone possibly named Marchia – couldn’t understand what she stated her name to be after hearing it twice. I left my name and number and asked for a call back regarding the Easter Sunday lunch. After not receiving a call back I called again a few days later and again was given to this same person’s voice mailbox. I did not feel like leaving another message since the first was not answered so selected to be transferred to a “manager”. During the course of one sentence explaining to the “manager” I simply wanted to know what their Easter lunch menu would be I was abruptly put on hold several times, always in the middle of a word I was speaking. I was eventually transferred to Will who I asked this same, simple question “What is your menu for Easter Sunday lunch?” I don’t recall exactly what I was told but something to the effect of a rib eye sandwich and one or two other equally unimpressive selections. Nothing against a rib eye sandwich I guess I was just expecting something a little more upscale for a holiday lunch. I’m certainly thankful I called first and avoided the embarrassing situation of taking my guests to lunch at a place that not only does not appear to offer much more of a holiday ambiance than Jason’s Deli does but contact from staff members who are unconcerned and indifferent.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed March 7, 2010

My daughter's surprised me with a weekend get-away in San Marcos for my birthday. We planned shopping, dining out and a stay at the new Embassy Suites near the Outlet Mall. The room was booked online. We arrived around 11am and were told that the hotel could not accomodate early check in as a large group was just leaving. This was fine as we had shopping planned. We arrived back at the hotel at 3:15pm and were told that the rooms had been oversold (whatever that means) and that our room would not be ready for 30min...We werent thrilled but understood. We sat down in the lobby and waited. We checked back in with the Front Desk and still no room. After 30 minutes I called my husband in San Antonio who is a Hilton Honors member and asked if he could intercede to see if he could get things sped up with our room. He called and spoke to the Front Desk supervisor, Will and was told that the rooms had been oversold and that they were behind and were working on our room. Will told him our room would be ready in another 30 minutes..Will approached us and promised the room would be ready in 30 minutes. He seemed overall unconcerned and casually said, " this sounds bad to say, but fortuantely for us we are totally booked for the last 2 nights, which is great for us, but it is really a problem for you"...His sarcasm was lost on us and not appreciated.. He said they were working on our room..He explained that they had a large group that had been there the night before, as well as a sorority that had arrived that day and were very busy. Again, we were told another 30 min. Well...my thoughts are that this is a convention hotel that should be able to handle large groups checking in and out..The process should be seamless for the guests. Will offered us a free drink while we waited which was un-impressive since free drinks would be served during Happy Hour. Another 30 minutes came and went and finally sometime around 4:45-5pm we got the key to our room. This is totally un-acceptable and not up to the expected Hilton/Embassy Suites guest care that we have received in the past. The front desk staff was un-concerned about us. The front desk manager never bothered to check back in with us after the initial conversation.
The hotel is beautiful and the rooms comfortable. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning.
I love staying in Hilton properties because of the excellent customer service but this hotel really needs a refresher course in taking care of guests and not making the hotels issues, the guests issues..
My daughter's and I are planning another shopping weekend but may opt to stay in New Braunfels at a Marriott property instead of putting up with this type of treatment at the pricier ES.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank fltexan5
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2010

Thank you for providing your feedback from your stay with us. I certainly understand your frustration with having to wait for your room and the delays from the time we told you. I apologize for this happening. Additionally, we have shared your comments with our staff to improve how we respond in these situations. We are pleased that the accomodations were up to your expectations. If you would, please drop me an email at tom.pugh@jqh.com so I can follow up with you personally. Tom Pugh, General Manager.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

Room 522 / this was our second stay at this hotel ,our first stay I would give it a five across the board. Our second stay would be a two, shower head did not work,dirt and hair behind bathroom door,dust not cleaned off front of vanity or other cabinets,tables not cleared quick enough at breakfast. We like this hotel,but we where very upset with this trip for the price of 159.00

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay with us. I certainly understand your frustration with poor cleanliness in your room. I apologize and we will follow up with our staff to correct this problem. I would appreciate your dropping me an email so I can follow up personally with you. My email is tom.pugh@jqh.com. Tom Pugh

Reviewed November 7, 2009

The Embassy Suites concept is so much nicer than a standard room, as the sitting area makes it two rooms for the price of one. You don't have to feel confined to a bedroom all the time. This hotel was recently opened when we stayed there and they are doing a good job. The complimentary happy hour with snacks and full breakfast in the morning is icing on the cake. We'll always pick an Embassy Suite if given the chance! There is good shopping at the two outlet malls nearby and the town of San Marcos with the university is fun to explore, especially Aquarena Springs. You can get a discount for the admission to Aquarena Springs when you sign up at the outlet mall office.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kdooleyAzleTX
Reviewed October 11, 2009

I attended a conference at this hotel in June. The facilities were first rate! The hotel is beautiful, rooms are very nice with comfortable furnishings. The made to order breakfast was delicious! Cocktail time in the evenings was quite enjoyable! The room for our conference was quite comfortable and easily accessible. The hotel location is perfect - just off the Interstate, and just down the road from not one, but 2 outlet malls! Then, most importantly, the employees at the hotel were quite friendly and helpful! A very good experience for us!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Great convenience for shopping at the factory stores. Will I go shopping, my husband and children swim at the heated pool. The manager's reception is a nice treat in the evening, and we have always loved the Embassy's cooked to order breakfast. Our room has always been in perfect order when we arrive.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Stayed here one night while on business. This is a new Embassy Suites and is very nice. The rooms are the typically large 2-room suites. Everything was clean and fresh and in good working order. The breakfast was very good, possibly one of the best Embassy Suites breakfasts I've had. Got there too late for the evening reception and didn't hit the pool.

There is constantly a security vehicle patrolling the parking lots.

I would stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business