“Nice hotel but really bad coffee!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in San Marcos
GreenLeadersGold level
South Texas
“Nice hotel but really bad coffee!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a fairly new, upscaled property of the traditional Embassy Suite line. The suite set-up was very nice for my 3 day conference stay. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean and quiet at night. The microwave and frig were operating properly and used throughout my stay. The front room phone and one TV remote were not functioning, but there were two of each so no big deal. The hotel was packed due to the convention, but the staff seemed to handle the crowd well both at the front desk and the breakfast area. My only complaint is that the coffee comes out of a machine labeled Nescafe and tastes like instant! It is really bad and needs to be brewed. Also, the scrambled eggs looked both runny and burned at the same time. Other than the eggs and the coffee, breakfast was good.

Happy hour was nice but wine options were limited. Luckily, there were two or three beer options. Snacks were chips, pita, salsa, and hummus.

The restaurant was surprisingly good for a hotel. Three of us enjoyed delicious salads for lunch one day.

The convention center was perfect for our size of conference and I would not hesitate to recommend it. But then there's that coffee issue that really needs to get fixed!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Lermis,
Thank You taking the time to comment on your stay during your conference. I appreicate your feedback and we are looking at our coffee selection. I was pleased that you enjoyed everything else about the property and we look forward to your return the next time your in San Marcos.

Larry Cooper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've never been to San Marcos, but came here for a conference. I get ready for bed and pull back the sheets and see not one but two shirt hairs in the bed. I pulled the sheets back a little further and found FOUR MORE! So I call management and tell them the situation. They don't have any housekeeping on staff so they send me up some sheets. I go to put them on the bed and find makeup on the old sheets and they brought me five top sheets. No fitted sheet and no pillow cases, when I thought it was clear that I needed an entire set of sheets! They finally bring up a full set of sheets and here I am at midnight laying here disgusted!!! I will not stay at an Embacy Suites Again!!! Gross!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Stepmel
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Stepmel,
Thank You for staying with us during your recent conference. I apologize for the issues with housekeeping and then not having someone available to bring the sheet up and make the bed. This is not our normal service level and I have addressed this with the team.
Thank You for bringing this to my attention and hoppe th enext time your in San Marcos you will stay with us again.

Dallas, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The room is great and clean but the hotel has very sorry, sorry customer service. My key did not work, my bill is incorrect and when I called - I was not able to speak with a human, they kept transferring me. I called 4 times and still not able to speak with anyone. In addition, they ran out of rooms for some our conference attendees even though they had reservations since Feb-13. No one bothered to call, email or text them....very sorry customer service.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

1 Thank Maria G
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dera Maria G,
Thank You for taking the time to inform me of your difficulties while at the hotel. I apologize for not being able to speak with a person concerning your bill and hope this all was corrected. Also as for the room shortage we did have some unexpected guest not check out which inconvienced others. This is not our normal service level and I have discussd this with the team to ensure it is corrected for the future.
Again I apologize and hope you return to the hotel on your next visit to San Marcos.

Houston, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Embassy Suites Hotel is San Marcos if fabulous! The sales, department, front desk, reservations, bar/lounge, bellman, houskeeping, breakfast staff are to be commended - very professional. I always have an enjoyable stay each time I am in the area. Extremely clean hotel. A true Leader for the Embassy Suites Hotel chain!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

1 Thank Arlene O
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Arlene O,
Thank You for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at my hotel. I appreciate this and it helps others when choosing where to stay. I hope on your next trip to San Marcos you will stay with us again.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

From the minute we checked in we were treated like Royal family! We were in town for a convention that was being hosted in the hotel so the place was packed to the max. The hotel staff went above and beyond the normal call of duty. The rooms were wonderful; spacious and tastefully decorated. Beds were great! The seating area in each room made a great place to have friends visit. We didn't feel cramped for space and that was nice. The lobby/atrium area is just gorgeous and it is very large and spread out so lots of people can sit, visit and relax! Everyone enjoyed the manager's reception each evening and the "chef prepared, made to order" omelet breakfast each morning was absolutely divine! There was so much food on the breakfast buffet it was difficult to decide what to choose. This is a little taste of heaven right here in San Marcos, Texas! Keep up the great work Hilton! You guys have it going on!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ACsmartone
Dear ACsmartone,
Thank You for the great comments about the hotel amenities, service and layout. I have shared these with the team and hope on your next trip to the area you stay with us again.

College Station, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We have stayed in San Marcos several times before but this was a first time at the Embassy Suites in San Marcos. Wow; what a pleasant surprise for this weekend stay. The hotel, rooms and dining area are a cut above the normal Embassy Suites, especially for this "small" Texas town. The hotel has the ambiance of a 5-star hotel. The manager's reception was so-so (just snack food) but the hot breakfast and cooked-to-order omletts were a welcome treat. The suites are large, very comfortable and quite. Plenty of free parking, the convention center is connected to the hotel and the outlet malls are a half-mile down the road if you want to do shopping; and a couple of miles up the road if you are going tubing on the river. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: I would suggest getting a room on a higher floor. All rooms open to an interior atrium which might...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Walter H
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Walter H,
Thank You for recently staying at my hotel and sharing your positive experience. I appreciate your comments and have shared these with the team. I hope on your next trip to San Marcos you stay with us again.

Lubbock, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 10, 2013

1. wonderful! check in was a breeze
2. Big rooms and very comfortable
3. hotel was busy but the staff was great and kept everything top notch
4 close to Austin and San Antonio for a day trips
I would come here just to vacation - it's close to all the fun spots

Room Tip: stay here for traveling to all San Antonio Austin area activities
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
coopl3usf, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Cbkb1,
Thank You for taking the time to share you positive experience at my hotel. I appreciate this and have shared with the team. We hope on your next trip to the area you will stay with us again.