“Very well kept property, friendly staff”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
GreenLeadersGold level
San Antonio, Texas
“Very well kept property, friendly staff”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This is the second time we have had reason to use this Embassy Suites and have been pleased both times. The first time we stayed here was for business, this last visit was for pleasure. The friendly staff have made this a very pleasant choice. Whenever we have a need for San Marcos lodging we will return to this property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe C
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments from your stay...we are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Greek first
Canyon Lake, Texas
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Comfortable King size bed and wonderful egg omette buffet style breakfast. Manager's reception with lots of adult drinks on the house. Very nicely decorated for the holidays. Go every year for my company's holiday party!

Room Tip: Water pressure goes down on the high levels. We stayed on the 10th floor. Recommend floor 4 or 5 n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your survey from your stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to serving you again. We appreciate your business. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I don't have much occasion to stay in a extended stay or suite hotel, but rarely do these types of properties conjure up thoughts of "nicely appointed" or comfortably classy. Embassy Suites San Marcos did! I was there for a training session so it wasn't my choice. I'm glad the conference coordinator picked it! The lobby area was beautifully decorated and appointed. It felt comfortable the minute I walked in. I actually spent 40+ minutes in the lobby with my group and then the rest of the day away from the property before I even checked in. When we returned, I was concerned that the 25+ of us all checking in at once would overwhelm the front desk, but it was pretty seamless. Virtually no wait. When I arrived in my room, I was pleasantly surprised by the furnishings and layout. Two-room suite with large living space (which I never used) and its own desk and flat screen. Small bar area with mini fridge, mini sink, coffee maker, microwave and laptop-worthy safe. Opposite that was the bathroom (all in one; a little small though) and then the smaller bedroom with king bed. The bedroom had its own flat screen and desk. There were plenty of mirrors throughout the suite and drawer space. There was something odd about the closet size/layout. I never put my finger on it. Maybe it was the way the doors opened...

As a conference attender, I felt those services were pretty good. Staff was helpful and the food was plentiful. We had a large room, but for some odd reason the buffet lines were set up outside in the common hallway. At a previous conference the meal service was in our meeting room and never intrusive. I'm sure this was a choice of our planner's. The food was also pretty good.

Perhaps the best parts of an ES San Marcos stay are morning breakfast (didn't attend as it was included in our conference) and the manager's happy hour special. Both are inclusive. These areas were separate from the main restaurant and bar respectively, which made them all the more welcoming. And the lobby bar was definitely one to hang out at for a property of this type. Usually there isn't one.

My only nagging issue at this Hilton property and another recent Hilton Garden Inn stay was the lack of courtesy check-in when you arrive early. Hilton really needs to work on that in its reservation system. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to check in until after 8 p.m. as part of a large group kind of drove me crazy. We were returning from a dinner trip to Austin, I was tired and totally dreading that process. I wish I could have done it when I walked through the door at 11:00 am and not had to worry.

All in all, I would definitely return and definitely recommend this to friends.

Room Tip: I was in a low 20 room that faced the back side of the building. Not at all pleasing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
We appreciate your comments from your stay with us...we are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I am a Diamond Level Hilton Honors traveler and have had the benefit of staying in a very wide range of Hilton chain hotels around the workd. The Embassy Suites San Marcos was amongst the nicest properties that I have stayed in.

Adjacent to the San Marcos Convention Center, the Embassy Suites towers 10 floors above the plain. Being a frequent Hilton guest, I was treated to a 10th floor room with a spectacular view of the surrounding Hill Country. The room of course was a suite, with a front living room and a rear bedroom. I had a corner room which featured windows on 2 sides. This was a nice touch that provided a ton of natural lighting. The furniture was new, the decor was fresh. Even the atrium designed lobby area looked richly finished. For me, the bed was the most important part. So often hotel beds are over used and have big sags in the mattresses. Here at the Embassy Suites, I was treated to a firm bed that sent me into a deep slumber after a long day of work.

Because I am a Hilton Diamond Honors level member, I was treated in my room to a bottle of wine and a try af salty and sweet snacks, pro bono. A nice touch.

My room included breakfast and this is perhaps the only miss. Breakfast is only served until 9AM. If you are late and arrive at 9:01, you're out of luck because they even turn the coffee makers off. Too bad. I'd suggest that they keep the restaurant open a tad later for those of us who arrived at Oh-dark-hundred during the night and who need a few extra minutes of sleep. But don't despair, because these are suites, there is a microwave, coffee makers and a fridge in which you can fill with snacks from the hotel pantry.

I'd recommend this hotel which is convenient to business areas and the nearby San Marcos Airport. Plenty of parking, friendly people, a great bar and an extra cozy bed. What more could the weary traveler need
?!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite to have windows on both sides. Don't miss breakfast. It ends sharply at 9...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we have shared your comments with our team. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Every year I particiate in an annual shopping weekend with co-workers and we always stay at the Embassy Suites in San Marcos. In comparison, to last year there were several issues with the property that was noticed by our entire group of 7. (we had 3 rooms.) Our room looked a lot more worn than in previous years and seems it's due to large groups that they house at the property particularly with families and children. The bathroom cabinets were beat up and the sheets on the bed had stains. We had hair in the sink and the toilet had issues flushing.
This past weekend was very busy for the hotel and we tried to sympathize. They had a large group of young dancers occupying the entire property. We tried checking in after our shopping around 6:30pm and couldn't get a room that was guaranteed and we are all Hilton honor members. They finally got us our rooms around 7:30pm. We sat down at the happy hour bar to wait and soon learned that the bartender had run out of vodka. When we finally got our key we waited forever for the elevator. Partly, because one of the 3 elevators was broken. The extended elevator wait time went on all weekend because the young girls were pushing all the buttons on the elevators for fun and to meet their friends on various floors. (obviously, not the hotel's problem.) We skipped the breakfast, because it was overrun with so many people. It was just not a relaxing stay as it had been in the past. Obviously, your stay experience would be much better if it doesn't involve another group's stay, but you may want to keep this in mind before booking. I will say as a postive note - that the staff we encountered everywhere were very friendly and tried to help as best they could.

Room Tip: rooms away from elevator are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank phyllisdew0122
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We appreciate your taking time to share your comments and I apologize for the issues you experienced. We have shared this with our team to ensure we correct these problems for the future. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Kerrville, Texas, USA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for the Silver Stars and Six Guns gala on October 20th. The room was very nice and the food at the gala was amazing. We typically have low expectations for banquet food but this is the second year we have attended and both times the food has been terrific.
My only complaint about the place is the fact they expect you to pay for Wi-Fi while there. Really? The $160 for the room isn't enough for free Wi-Fi while in the hotel itself? The very next weekend we went to San Antonio and our hotel there had free Wi-Fi and the room was just as nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your comments with us...we are pleased you had a good stay with us. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager.
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is the 8th time my wife and I have stayed at this Hotel. The service Is outstanding. Rooms are great, clean spacious. The only thing I would like to have is a little larger T V. We usually stay 4 days, Food is great very prompt and excellent without the server coming by every 5 minutes.
We will stay there again with pleasure.

Room Tip: Try to get a room next or close to the elevators
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us for the 8th time! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your next visit. Tom Pugh, General Manager