Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
GreenLeadersGold level
San Antonio, Texas
“Really nice hotel”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 1 night while attending a scrapbook convention. I checked in late but I loved this hotel. It is in a location that is near shopping. But I was exhausted after having a full day of fun, so there was no need to leave. The staff were friendly and helpful. My room was really comfortable and quiet. I ended up picking up a burger from the restaurant downstairs in the lobby, then crashing in the super comfy bed that night. The next morning, I had breakfast and then rested a bit before it was time to check out.

My only issue was when I asked if they had a phone number to a cab. The girl at the desk gave me a card for a cab driver. BEWARE of this guy! He constantly lied about being on his way. When he finally did arrive, he had another passenger in the car and had to drop her off somewhere before he got me to the bus station 10 minutes before the bus arrived. I called him an hour before. He seems to be really overworked and lied to several customers who called his phone while i was in the car. I am sure the hotel is not aware of this cab drivers actions, but I think it would be helpful for yourself, that if you need a cab, have several numbers on hand.

But I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments from your stay with us. We are happy to hear you had a very good stay with us. We appreciate your sharing the information about the problems you had with the cab company. We willl make changes to who we recommend. We look forward to seving you again in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Greek first
Reviewed September 23, 2012

After checking into the hotel, we ordered room service and the man who delivered our food made inappropriate comments to my 14 year old daughter. I later saw him at the front desk and wanted to confront him but thought better of it as he knew our room number. I should think an adult would have the decency to note make a pass at a minor. I am utterly dismayed and very disappointed.

My husband and children frequent your hotel regularly and this sort of behavior is beneath contempt. I sent an email to a manager and hope this incident is swiftly and adequately addressed as we enjoy your facility. I thought your standards of hospitality were more than adequate until yesterday.

Room Tip: Generally we request suites at the end of the hall-away from foot traffic and elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Emma W
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments and sharing this incident with us. We will follow up with our team immediately. If I can be of futher assistance to you, please contact me at tom.pugh@jqh.com. Tom Pugh, General Manager
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Usually when you head off to a trade association conference, you expect the hotel to be a bit impersonal and lacking. However - in this instance, I was pleasantly surprised otherwise with a very clean, attractive, comfortable hotel experience with great customer service. And this hotel is not a new hotel - so you would have expected a little more wear and tear with the venue. That was surprisingly not the case either! Their building maintenance department is doing a great job inspecting and maintaining the property on a daily basis hand in hand with housekeeping services. I did not use the pool or spa amenities - but I heard these were excellent as well. The breakfast buffet each morning and then the manager's reception each evening were wonderful benefits for staying at this hotel as well; and both of these amenities were nicer than I expected. The small kitchenettes in each room allowed for you to cool food and beverages, to warm up food and to make a pot of coffee or cup of tea in the privacy of your own room. AND - location, location, location! Shopping minutes away and the city of San Marcos is beautiful as well with the river, college campus and restaurants galore.

Room Tip: Every room has a view over the foyer area. Every room is a good room here!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments from your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and will share this with our team. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Florida
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This a late review- stayed last year. Location by two outlets center & off the highway was very convenient. Room was very clean, room service was good. My husband loved the manager's happy hour... I loved the made to order breakfast ! The staff was very accommodating .

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for your comments from your stay with us last year. We are pleased you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Plano, TX
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We rented two king suites for two nights each, Sunday through Tuesday.
Pros:  Staff was nice; check-in was quick & pleasant;  location was convenient to outlet malls & other stores; breakfast is free; rooms were spacious.
Cons:  our rooms were dirty when we arrived - there were pieces of food and hairs on the carpet & bathroom floors from previous guests & the tubs were dirty, and a mug from a previous guest was left outside one of our rooms for two days.  In addition, the restrooms  in the lobby were dirty at 9 am on a Tuesday morning so they obviously hadn't been cleaned from the previous day. (Interestingly, cleanliness at this hotel has been a problem for at least two years if you read old comments from other reviewers on this website.  Puzzling why this continues to be an issue.)
Breakfast was just ok - only omlets, eggs, pastries, or cereal, no waffles or pancakes and the quality was so-so.
They are a pet-friendly hotel so beware if you have allergies.
We were disappointed in the quality of the housekeeping and breakfast for the rate we paid.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank CPA95
We appreciate you sharing your comments from your stay with us. We have shared your comments with our team to correct the issues you experienced with housekeeping. Thank you for you business and we look forward to serving you in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Attended a convention Aug 3-5 and we took up almost all of the Hotel. Except for a few slow
elevators (not hotel fault but attendees going to rooms at the end of the Day).
The free breakfast was great and lines moved well for the cook to order eggs. The Buffet line was
kept well supplied. I have to say that the Hotel went out of their way to meet the needs of the thirsty attendees at the free Happy Hour . I have stayed at many Embassy Suites across the USA.
My hats off to the staff for making this convention so successful. The rooms are very clean and this is a reason we continue to stay at their locations nationwide.

Room Tip: If you are an early riser go to the breakfast as soon as it opens. No lines and you get to get your...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
We appreciate your comments from your stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay during your convention. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you again. Tom Pugh, General Manager
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while school shopping. The location is right next to the Outlet Mall and is right off of highway. Hotel is nice and very, very big. I am not sure how many stories tall, but has a nice interior look with a water fountain and coffee shop. I couple of high points...Got a Starbucks coffee in coffeeshop. Lady not friendliest, but she makes a GREAT White Mocha. We also at breakfast. It's a self serve buffet, but with a made to order station. They guy and lady were really good and I couldn't believe how well they remembered people's orders. The attendants were quick to buss our plates from our tables and I saw them constantly working throughout the breakfast period. Food was hot and fresh and I was pleasantly surprised with how well they handled the load of people eating. Rooms are large and comfy. Best thing is that they have large bath towels. It seems hotels get chincy on this from time to time.
Now the low points. Not many. I was a bit surprised by staff wearing blue jeans. Hotel was very nice and upscale, so I was a bit confused. Front desk agents not the friendliest. They were a bit more interested in talking to one another vs. the customers. I had to go to them to ask questions regarding the area and the outlet malls.
Overall a very nice experience!! I would recommend. Now the outlet malls, definitely a crazier experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. To explain the blue jeans, once a month our team "pays" to wear blue jeans as a fundraiser to an entity that our associates select. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future. Tom Pugh, General Manager