Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center
Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in San Marcos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Situated 1/4 mile from the interstate, this hotel offers the standard Embassy Suite experience. The morning breakfast was plentifull and the staff was able to keep up with high flow of guest traffic. The afternoon drinks and snacks were available too. The pool is a decent size, so the kids enjoyed it. While you cant mistake this place for a resort, it is great to come back to at the end of a busy day. There is a nice bar, coffee shop, and restaurant which were open just about all day.
I get my kids to stay in the front room, where they can pull out the sofa bed and watch their own shows. The place is roomy enough for four guests.
Staff is generally friendly and the place is clean. I believe its about 10 years old now, but still looks newer than that.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,191)

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel while returning home from vacation. I decided to check out the outlet malls in San Marcos. Tthe price was higher than normal for an Embassy Suite but after a day at the outlet mall well worth it! And the parking is free.
Our check in was fast and our room was ready earlier than i had thought - (always a plus)it was quiet and clean - (my only complaint was not enough shampoo but you just ask for more)
we missed the evening social as we were shopping - when we returned to the hotel I decided to eat at the hotel restaurant - it was actually pretty good and the service was fast and friendly. everything from burgers to pasta and we were given a discount coupon when we checked in for 15% off!
We left the next morning very early so were the first people down to breakfast ! In fact we were there a few minutes before they opened and the staff told us to go ahead and eat. I thought the choices were typical with plenty of fresh fruit etc. But the breakfast is why I stay at the Embassy - I love not having to go look for a restaurant in the mornings.
I would absolutely stay at this hotel again - in fact I am planning a return trip in a few months - one of the best Embassy Suites I have stayed at in a while.
The hotel also runs a shuttle to the outlet mall which is helpful and the hotel is right off the freeway so is very easy to find.

1  Thank ChicaTexas_USA
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This is a new hotel. Our room was great. It is relatively close to tubing and next door to the outlet mall. Probably the nicest hotel in San Marcos.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have a large family and the room here was perfect to accomodate us at a reasonable price. The staff was very nice. The hotel and the room was very clean. The only thing I was not to crazy about was the breakfast. They have a made to order station, which is great, but it had such a long line and the things that were offered on the buffet table wasnt the greatest. Not a deal breaker though, and I would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

After reading some recent bad reviews, we were a little concerned about staying here, but it turned out to be the best Embassy Suites I've been in. Service was fantastic, the room was spotless and very comfortable, and the pool area is very nice. The hotel was very crowded while we were here due to a convention, but service didn't suffer. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed July 18, 2011

We stayed at the ES Suites in San Marcos, the best hotel in town, to attend a reunion. Check-in was handled in a friendly and professional manner. At check-in we were informed that we had been given a complimentary upgrade which turned out to be one of the presidential suites. It was very spacious and comfortable. Some of the furniture was a bit scuffed and there was a spot in the bedroom where the carpet was worn completely through. Given that this hotel is less than half a mile from a large outlet mall and is adjacent to the city convention center, heavy traffic is an unavoidable reality and small imperfections in the property are probably to be expected.

The real experience killer was the fact that the hotel seems to have water pressure problems in the morning. In our room there wasn't so much as a trickle when I turned on a bathroom faucet at 9:00 AM. There was simply no water! The fact that we were only 45 minutes from home and didn't pay for the upgrade made it tolerable (we could wait until we got home to shower), but had we come from further away (some folks at the reunion had flown clear across the country), it would have been entirely unacceptable not to be able to shower or even wash your face. I didn't bother to report the problem to management as I'm sure others must have. On our way to check-out we encountered some friends from the reunion who had the same problem. Our room was on the 10th floor and theirs was on the 2nd floor on the other side of the hotel so the problem obviously wasn't confined to our room.

Ameinties such as the cooked breakfast, manager's reception in the evenings, etc. make this a very nice place to stay. If they manage to fix the water pressure problem I would definitely recommend this hotel. However, if our experience was typical, you'll need to stay elsewhere if you plan to shower in the mornings which is why I rated the hotel value in the poor category.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My family just returned from spending two nights at the San Marcos Embassy Suites. To start our stay, it took 53 minutes from walking in the door to complete our registration even though we had booked and paid for our room prior to our stay. There were no luggage carts available at check in or check out. The first room they put us in still had dirty towels in the bathroom floor. The second room appeared clean at first glance. However, we later discovered a pair of black Hanes men's underwear hanging over the shower rod. When the ottoman was moved from its storage area under the TV, there were hard dried french fries under it. The blanket provided for the fold out couch bed had broken pieces of Butterfinger candy all over it. On the 2nd day, the housekeeper made the bed in the bedroom, but left the couch bed unmade and left the dirty towels on the bathroom floor, but did not leave clean towels. Called desk to request clean towels and blanket. Received clean towels almost 4 hours later. Housekeeper did not speak English and could not understand that I also needed a blanket. Towels were to be provided poolside for pool use. However, they were not always available. After requesting towels at the poolside from the desk crew, they were still not supplied an hour later when we left the pool. The bathroom vent grill was filthy. The air conditioning was subpar. The room still felt sticky and damp. Rooms need better soundproofing from the atrium area. People were laughing and talking in the atrium after midnight and we could hear it in our 7th floor room like they were just outside our door. The only good thing was the breakfast which offered a great selection of items and was very tasty.

1  Thank BDBP
tpugh648, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Marcos - Hotel, Spa & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Thank you for sharing the details of your experience with us. I apologize for falling so short of the level of product and service you should have been provided. I have shared your comments with our team members to identify what went wrong and to fix these problems. Please contact me as I would like to visit with you personally on this. Thank you, Tom Pugh.