“Very Good for size of city”

San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts
Ranked #9 of 26 things to do in San Angelo
San Angelo, Texas
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Very Good for size of city”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a very nice center to visit and is very representative of San Angelo. The building is very beautiful and is a great atmosphere for the exhibits.

The exhibits vary on a monthly or so basis.

I took my 5 year old granddaughter here and she loved all the colors she saw.

This is a great place to introduce kids to the arts.

If you are visiting San Angelo, you must visit here. I believe most people can enjoy it in about an hour. Other people who are art intelligent might want to spend longer.

Visited August 2012

Sweetwater, Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“That's It - No More”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Over the past few years I have made several trips to visit this museum. I won't be going again. Only once was there an exhibition I consider to be fine art. That was two years ago. Yesterday I visited again hoping to see something exciting. I found three galleries filled with pottery and painted tiles. Only one piece seemed worthwhile to me. It was a large bowl by Lisa Orr who lives in Austin,Texas. The others looked like folk art that can be found in any market or festival in cities like San Antonio and Dallas. I know there is a controversy whether works in pottery and photography can be called "fine art" in the traditional way. Only time will decide. Maybe not until these pieces become artifacts. I consider them to be works of craftsmen with skills in technology. I suppose potters do use some form of sculptor but not when molds are the norm. Studio pottery and earthenware hold little interest for me. Only once have I seen painting or drawings at this museum.The price was right. Seniors $1 and adults $2. The workers were lacking. I kept trying to engage in conversation the woman who was guarding my every move. I addressed her as "docent" and she quickly told me she was not a docent and knew nothing.

Visited June 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A surprise in the desert!”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The current exhibit of Texan art is very enjoyable. The displays and background of the artists enhance the experience.

Visited March 2013
San Angelo, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Small but nice”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

From the size of the building, you expect a lot more than what's in there. There are only two or three galleries and the rest is event space. Also, the permanent collection really leaves something to be desired. But to their credit, they do have really interesting exhibits from time to time. If you pay attention to the schedule, you can get in for an occasional treat.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank McQuarterCat
Colorado
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“James and Em's wedding”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The wonderful staff was so accomodating for my niece'e wedding The wedding was outside, along the beautiful Rio Concho river. I was very impressed.

Visited October 2012