“What could have been...”

Inn at the Art Center
Ranked #1 of 3 San Angelo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 20, 2012

A great concept: sleep in an old grain silo. A great setting: convert an old chicken farm into an artist colony in backwater San Angelo, TX that has artistic roots and vibe.
A not so great plan: leave the decor in the 90's and don't pay attention to basics like linens, HVAC (bedtime temp due to the window AC unit was 80-85 F) and voila,...you get opportunity lost.
With a bit more care this could have been a real winner. As it was, give me Spring Hill Suites!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 19, 2012

I found this marvelous B & B on the Internet - funny since my family has been in San Angelo for over 100+ yrs. The Inn at the Art Center has become my home-away-from-home during my many trips to San Angelo to care for my parents. It's such a comfort to know that I'll find a clean, welcoming room at the end of the day - and a place to make coffee at the crack of dawn. Susan and Jerry are such warm folks - they make you feel so special. The incredible selection of goodies in The Nook proved to be a life saver for me one night when I was too tired and too filthy to go out to eat. My brother said it best - "it's like you're staying in your family home - you just want to take care of it." Thank you for providing a haven for weary travelers!

Room Tip: I love the Country French room - and it's right next door to The Nook!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BetsyDuff
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I experienced the most charming two days at the Inn at the Art Center. The owners of the B&B were so very friendly and gracious during our stay. We stayed in the Santa Fe room which was very clean and had the most comfortable bed. The kitchen was available 24 hrs. and was well stocked with breakfast foods and beverages, including beer and wine. We were there to attend a "life celebration" for my brother. The reception from all of the artists was warm and welcome. We were given a personal tour of the premises and the individual art studios and were allowed to watch work in progress. The night of the "celebration" was amazing with food, beverages, and musicians from all over. It's like a family friendly environment and there was too much to see during our stay so we will definitely return again and again, hopefully for the 1st Saturday events they provide monthly. Can't wait to see everyone again. Thanks to everyone at the Chicken Farm Art Center for helping me, my family, and all my brother's friends have a great time while there. See ya soon. Sally Geller, Austin, TX

Room Tip: The Santa Fe room is clean and comfortable, on the end of the building and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank salgeller
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We arrived here rather late, and were guided in by our hostess, Susan, who was very cheerful throughout the process. She gave us a brief tour, our keys, and then we were left to enjoy this wonderful place! Although it was time for bed, we decided to get a cool drink from the kitchen (wine was available, but we opted for cold water and a soft drink) and sit on our porch to enjoy the night air. We stayed in the Santa Fe room, because we wanted a king bed. We were very comfy and cool. Ladies, you might like to know that they use premium toilet tissue here! My husband says I shouldn’t write about it, but I notice these things, and I don’t think I’m the only one who does! There are lights outside the window, even when the main ones are turned off. If you are someone who has trouble getting to sleep (we don’t!), you might need a different room.

If you are looking for a B&B that serves you breakfast in bed, this is not the place. Breakfast is on your own in the kitchen, but there is plenty to eat. Someone had just cooked up some eggs when we ambled in, and we elected to have a small meal of yogurt and juice, since we were meeting people for lunch. I enjoyed the special tile work in the kitchen, which was done by one of the artists at the center.

We met our host and hostess after breakfast while we were wandering in the center, and they encouraged us to visit the artists (which we did) and to stay in San Angelo to visit exhibits (which we did not do because of our schedule). But what great representatives of the arts they are! They love art, they love meeting people, and they love connecting the two whenever possible!

We really enjoyed our stay with Jerry and Susan. We loved all of the special touches – the paint colors, the plants, the one-of-a-kind tile work, the friendly kitties, the ability to stop to talk to people who love what they do… What a refreshing experience. We hope we are back this way soon.

To the person who left the low rating because her child couldn’t stay here… It’s not fair to give a place a poor rating because the owners followed their own clearly-stated rules! (In this case, no children…) Come, come! If your children are interested in art, get them involved with your city’s museums and art centers, but don’t pick on Jerry and Elizabeth because they followed their own policies!

3  Thank Linda E
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at the Inn at the Art Center. The rooms are a but rustic but it is such an unusual and friendly place. The Salt in the Silo Restaurant was fabulous. The art that we got to see was very unique and inspiring. We will be back on a "Third Thursday" concert or "First Saturday" art fair. These make it a destination worth returning for....maybe several times!
Downtown San Angelo is equally unique and artsy. The Friday night we were there an outdoor movie was playing in a parking lot. There are plenty of unique boutiques and gift shops, soda fountains and restaurants to visit in area. I would highly recommend this stay for uniqueness!

1  Thank rodney h
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This place is a gem, and San Angelo a great town. The owners are really generous. The room was well cooled and sell stocked with cold water on our arrival. The kichen has a massive supply of goodies, including wine for the evening. The owners are really friendly and as are the artists that share the community. Gave us some great tips for enjoying the town. So much nicer than a chain motel. We stayed in the Artist's Loft which was very comfy - although the bed is pretty soft.

1  Thank CathyO702
Reviewed December 7, 2010

What a beautiful place!! If you have ever actually stayed here, you know what I am talking about. We stayed in the Santa Fe room, & very much enjoyed it. It was very clean and had plenty of room. It had a private entrance & a bathroom all to our own, which was fully stocked with fluffy towels & amenities. The kitchen had waffles, fruit, toast, and all the fixings. The coffee was so awesome, I had to ask the owners what it was so I could stock up for myself. They ended up giving us some to take with us. Thanks Jerry & Susan!!! We found a variety of art. Potters, painters, stone carvers, jewelry makers, & even some goat cheese… Yum! Everyone at the Old Chicken Farm Art Center couldn’t have been nicer. We had a wonderful time & can’t wait to go back for a getaway from the kiddos.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple