“Beautiful fort. Worth a visit!”
Review of Fort Concho

Fort Concho
Ranked #3 of 25 things to do in San Angelo
Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful fort. Worth a visit!”
Reviewed May 8, 2010

My family stopped here on a road trip across Texas. We only stopped here for a place to stretch our legs. After seeing the fort, I regret we didn't have more time to spend here. Since the buildings of the fort are stone, a lot of the fort is still standing. We weren't able to take the guided tour of the whole fort, but got to look through the small museum in the visitors center. This place is definitely worth a stop. The pictures of Christmas at the Fort which is held the first weekend of December looked pretty neat.

SanAngelomomma
“New Experience for life long West Texan”
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I grew up in West Texas, and lived in San Angelo for almost 7 yrs before my family and I finally visited Fort Concho. I now wish we had gone the second we moved here. The whole Fort is like stepping back in time. There is a feel to it that one cannot describe adequately on a review.
We arrived a bit late in the day, and as such were not in time to visit inside the buildings, but we were told we were more than welcome to walk the grounds, and view through the windows.
It was like something out of a time warp...peering into the windows of each room, or barracks. I expected a Buffalo Soldier to walk past the window any minute. :)

I will certainly return when I can really explore each building.

Great place to bring the kiddos.

San Angelo, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Step Back In Time”
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Of the 24 buildings, 17 are more than 80 per cent original. All of the buildings have had new roofs put on and some have had major work done. These buildings were meant to last for less than ten years when the fort was built in the early 1880s.
The fort is now owned by the City of San Angelo, and gets half of its funding from visitors. The staff is well read and can go as deep in detail as you want to go. If your group is a large group, contact the fort ahead of time and resouces can be laid on to make your visit, memorable.
The first full weekend of December is the largest event at the fort with more than 300 reenactors entertaining and soldiering the fort up.

2 Thank SanAngelo_TXWalker
St. Albert, Alberta
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fort Concho - A Return to the Old West”
Reviewed December 29, 2007

Due to the time of year (Early January, 2006) I was the only visitor on the day of my visit. The guides were very helpful and informative, and everything was available for me to see up close. I will go back again during one of my visits, which will hopefully coincide with an event. Thanks for all the hard work that's been put into this restoration . . . I appreciate it being there for us to experience.

Northeast, WI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice history lesson”
Reviewed July 16, 2005

Not a place to go to on a very hot day. It was very interesting and there was some places where you could touch the stuff, but you should definetely ask first. It was cheap too. I loved the self-guided tour concept because then we went at our pace.

Been to Fort Concho? Share your experiences!