“One of the top things to do in San Angelo!”

San Angelo Nature Center
Reviewed August 26, 2011

My sons, 13 and 12, and I visited the San Angelo Nature Center and absolutely loved it! It was easy to get to, the admission fees are very reasonable $3.00 for 13 and up, $2 for 4-12 year olds. We got to see an excellent variety of animals, insects and reptiles. Many of them were awake and active. The highlights for us were the alligator, 15 foot python, the Spotted Ground Squirrel and bobcats. We spent a good deal of time looking at each habitat and then reading the detail. We had brought our Texas Mammals book and that helped as we enjoyed looking at the animals and my sons worked on their Mammal Study Merit Badge. We were very amused with the Spotted Brown Squirrels in particular, we made a donation to support them and got to name them, my youngest son was excited as was I! We decided on naming the male, "Rascal" and we named the female "Belle". Rascal would climb all over the top of the cage and literally "run" around on the lid. Everyone enjoyed watching his show! They have an over 40 snake varieties. The tarantulas, hissing cockroaches and alligator were very interesting too. SANC is a definite "must see"!

All reviews
"stroller"
"grandchildren"
"employees"

Reviewed March 31, 2011

It took my husband and I about 45 minutes to look around in this place. I went mainly to learn about the creatures in the area since we just moved here. There are lots of creepy crawly things that I think little boys will highly enjoy. Lots of snakes, spiders, and other bugs. One section was closed due to construction so that may have added another 15 minutes to our visit. I enjoyed the prairie dog and the bobcats. We also saw an antsy skunk, a porcupine, snapping turtle, two alligators and several rocks, fossils and stuffed animals. Interesting little place to learn a thing or two and kill some time. Just don't try and compare it to a zoo or anything like that or you'll be disappointed. To be totally honest, if our family come out for a visit like we hope - I doubt we'll put this on the list of things to do. It just isn't that impressive.

1  Thank Beckasdream
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I recently visited San Angelo for the first time to see my daughters family, who recently moved there. My three year old grandson and I planned a whole day of adventures for just the two of us.

The highlight of the day was the nature center. It was inexpensive, but would have been worth it even if we had paid more. They have all sorts of snakes, spiders, bugs and more that kept us occupied for a couple of hours.

There is a neat little room where you can watch bees making honey up close with no worries about getting stung. There are mammals, such as a ferret, ground squirrels and a coatimundi. An alligator, many, many turtles, including one that has a shell about a foot long that roams the fenced back yard. That alone was worth the price of admission. My grandson thought the turtles were really cool. He was a little too enthralled with the snakes for my taste, but oh well! He got to touch a hissing cockroach, ICK!!! He thought that was pretty cool. One of the rattlers started rattling each time he approached it's tank, and that also was something he loved.

There are also have animals that have been stuffed and mounted, but to be honest, he didn't even seem to notice them, and the vast majority of them were placed up high on cabinets, closer to the ceiling.

Now, this is not just for preschoolers, there were plenty of older kids there and apparently they do a summer camp and even host birthday parties.

All in all, this was a lot of fun for very little money.

2  Thank Rapunzll