“not at home”

Johnny's Steaks & Bar-Be-Que
Ranked #3 of 35 Restaurants in Salado
Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I discovered this little place while staying at an RV Park in Salado. Salado is not a very big town so there is not a lot to choose from. The first time was in January my husband got the Hamburger steak I got the grilled Chicken. Both very good we were in the middle of moving so I failed to take pics. The second time we went was Easter it was the first time we got the Brisket. We got 2lbs to take to Austin, my sister got 2lbs from a place in Austin. That's we the taste testing started. And it's been going on ever since. So far Johnny's has won 3 tastings Beating 3 local BBQ in Austin. I don't know if I can list the places on this review. I guess if someone wants the names let me know I will get them to you. In all fairness to the other places. .One weekend we wanted some Brisket since it was just us 2 we ordered a pound just for us and it was terrible. It had great flavor but it was really tough. I'm glad that batch wasn't in our taste test. But one bad Brisket won't keep us away. As far as sides go we liked the beans but not the potato salad. Love the bread. I will post the pics I have as soon as I can get them out of my very old iphone

Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Maybe we got a bad cut, but we came hungry and left hungry . Probably won't go back . At least. 3/4 of my brisket was fat! Maybe we should have said something and chalked it off to a bad day . My advice would be to ask for a lean cut .

1  Thank Del M
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Had 15 people in group. Have been there every year for reunion. Most loved their food. Friday was all you can eat catfish. It was hit or miss for some. I had BBQ sandwich and was great &prices or good. Very popular so it gets crowded quick. Hamburgers, BBQ,chicken catfish salads available.

Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Steak was cooked to perfection. Friendly staff. A little hard to get to because of road contraction. But a good place for lunch or dinner.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

One plate was enough for two people to share. Brisket was a little tough. The slaw and beans were good.