“Great Texas BBQ”

Johnny's Steaks & Bar-Be-Que
Ranked #3 of 34 Restaurants in Salado
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Highlands Ranch, Colorado, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Texas BBQ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

My son and I had lunch at Johnny's yesterday before going to the range in nearby Florence to pass on to him the 1911 his grandfather first passed to me. We each had the 3-meet sampler which together was sausage, jalapeno sausage, brisket and ribs. Excellent vinegar-based sauce, big roll of paper towels on each table, solid sides and outstanding Texas tea. Johnny has an excellent taxidermist as well -- plenty of mounted game in the place -- including in the men's room (LOL -- that's what I'm talkin about!).
While I don't miss Texas heat and humidity, I do miss the food (including good Texas BBQ), folks and of course my son.

• Visited December 2012

Copperas Cove, Texas
“Great BBQ and cobbler is to die for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was the best BBQ I have tasted in some time. The Blackberry and Pecan Cobblers are to die for. Go for the Ala Mode!

Visited October 2012
Tampa, Florida
“A dive but great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This place is your typical Texas dive. Not much to look at but great food. We were there for dinner and the place was crowded. one of us had bar b que and the other a steak. The bar b que was okay but not great (it's hard with the competition in Texas to have great bar b que). The steak was great. Priced reasonably. Cleanliness might be an issue though, as with most dives. Still, I would go back in a heartbeat.

Visited August 2012
Cleburne, Texas
“best bar b q”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

great service great atmosphere, and bar b q to die for. The rustic look and feel are pure Texas. I am glad I got there at 4:30 because at 5:00 it was packed. Great variety on the menu. We were all impressed. Do NOT forget to try there Buttermilk pie.

Visited October 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Very good food and service! Worth the trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were in Salado for a family function and dined here Friday night, with a more formal dinner setup for Saturday night at the Salado Inn. The food and service was great! We had a party of 20 and our food ranged from BBQ, steaks, catfish, angels wings (very good), and chicken fried steak. The food was well prepared and served. The dining style is not formal, but efficient. You place your drink order (we had buckets of beer) at the table, and then your food order at the register. The young ladies working the dining room were great and kept everything moving. Everyone in our group said we should have skipped Salado Inn and dined here instead - total agreement. Now we know, and will definitely be back.

• Visited August 2012