“Shabby Not Chic Ugghhhh”
Review of Rose Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salado
Rose Mansion
Ranked #3 of 12 Salado B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I was so dissapointed with the whole experience.

First of all, the outside is not as nice as the picture. This place is old, old, old and run down. The other houses on the same circle drive are cute and kept up. Not this one.

My room was sally's suite with two beds. I slept on the small one. The cover had a big rip on it.... very obvious couldn't be missed...so they knew about it and left it.

second the wallpaper is old and has a variety of places that are ripped and splitting. One shade was ripped as well. The small bed was just a cheap cheap mattress I could feel the springs all night long. The other bed was not much better. The whole room felt musty. One window to the outside was cracked and fixed with tape.

The bathtub (uggh) Not sure what the thought there was, but I would never take a bath, it looks so dirty. So I showered. (no shampoo was offered so I could not wash my hair.)

Then when you go to get out of it, the tub is up on a 6 inch platform so I just about fell out of the tub trying to get out. Not safe for any older woman and I am 50.

The rug on the stairs going up to the room was ripped up bad. The carpet in the sumroon had food crumbs all over it and that was in the mornign before breakfast.

breakfast was a joke. bisquits, and rolls both came from a pop can as far as I could tell and then their were eggs done like a quiche and fresh strawberries. Ive stayed at so many bed and breakfast and never got served such a small cheap meal unless I was told ahead of time it would be continental.

I should have read the other reviews and believed the longer ones. I think the shorter ones are fake. This is NOT a nice place, Not a clean place.

I was told that it is owned by the same people who own the STagecoach inn, the only so called nice restuarant in town. That is old and run down as well. I did have a great mexican meal there though.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank tlouiselilly
There are newer reviews for Rose Mansion

Reviewed December 12, 2010

When I reserved the Travelers Room at the Rose Mansion for the Christmas Stroll for myself and my bf I was told the room had steep stairs. I asked Donna if 60 yr old women could get up them and she said "yes" with no problems. We get there and the room was on the outside of the inn. The stairs were so steep we could barely get up them. I am 55 and my friend is 60 and we are both healthy (I have two flights of stairs in my own 2 story home & have no trouble getting up/down). The stairs weren't even as deep as your foot is long (size 5) and we had to go up/down the stairs sideways. There is only a small rail halfway up and you have to wing-it the rest of the way (hit my head on the roof first time I went up). The room was very, very small..not at all what the photo on their website gives the impression of. The door (to the outside) had cracks in it. You could see the outside light not only around the door frame on the wall but also thru the door. There was a man named as owner so I assumed we could get him to take our luggage up/down but there was no man present. We also assumed it was a hosted B&B since it was so big but there was nobody there to give us a flashlight, extra blankets, etc. or answer anybody's questions. There was also no TV in our room & only a very small one in the sunroom. We could hear EVERY word the ladies' in the next room said & am sure they could hear every word we said. It was like they were in the room with us. Because a cold front was supposed to come in our second night and be very, very windy and cold (wind chills in the teens) we had to leave early because we knew the wind would come straight thru the door. We could not come and go as we pleased because it was so very difficult to get up/down the stairs and we were afraid we would fall. There were no other rooms available in the town or we would have left immediately upon arrival. I left a message when we decided to leave and told the owner why we were leaving. She never apologized and we still had to pay for our second night even though we weren't even there. There were two other women in another room and they were very disappointed also. I would never stay at this B&B again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank binky2122
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I stayed at the Rose Mansion in the Traveler's Room over the weekend of May 1st and was very impressed. First, it is in a great historic and quiet location, but still close to Main Street where the shops and restaurants are.
I attended a high school alumni ladies retreat and the activites for the event were at the Mansion. We had a large tent with tables for 60 right on the front lawn, and food was catered in, the staff seemed very helpful. Breakfast was very nice, there were several dining rooms set up in the mansion itself with fine china and a historical atmosphere. My room was nice and private, not large, no TV, but had a nice bathroom with everything I
needed. I found it clean and ready when I arrived.
If you are looking for a modern new hotel, this is not the place. But if you are looking for a quaint B&B with some history and beautiful grounds-this is the place.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lorenata
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Staff and service were excellent. Breakfast foods were delicious. Very Close to shopping. Lots of history. The Mansion and Historical Buildings are comfortable and charming.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2009

We loved it, so quiet and comfortable!!! We'd like to live there!!! We, also, enjoyed the Sun Room, and the breakfasts were delicious!! As diabetics, they were most accomodating!! This was VERY special!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2009

4 couples and us take a trip each year and stay in a bed & breakfast. We all stayed at the Rose Mansion the Friday and Saturday night after Thanksgiving of 2008. This was not a place I would recommend to anyone. The rooms although rustic (two couples stayed in the main house and the other 3 stayed in the Chester House) were dirty and the bedding was very worn. The towels were dingy and the floors were not swept. None of us felt comfortable taking baths and setting in the tubs so we took showers. The breakfast was cold (two of us found a hair in our eggs) and it was not appetising in the least. We felt like it was under new management b/c one couple had stayed there before and said it was much better. We wrote them a note telling of our dissatisfaction but never heard from them. Also the rates were not as they were quoted on the brochure or website. We have stayed in some lovely places but this was not one of them.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2008

I cannot comment on the quality of rooms here as we have not stayed here. We had reserved a room here and received a confirmation on a Friday for a very crowded weekend in Salado. Then at almost 9pm on Sunday night, I received an email, not even a phone call, saying that they were incorrect and the room that they confirmed on Friday was not available. Because of their error and two day wait to discover their error, we were unable to find another B&B in town to stay at and our trip to a certain extent was ruined by their poor service and amazing lack of professionalism. Just be forewarned that even if you get a confirmation, it's just words and may not stand.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salado
Holiday Inn Express Salado-Belton
Inn on the Creek
#1 of 12 in Salado
Yellow House Bed and Breakfast
Baines House Inn & Gallery

Been to Rose Mansion? Share your experiences!