“Beach Girls Adventure!!!!!!!”

Baines House Inn & Gallery
Ranked #6 of 12 Salado B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Oh what fun and relaxing ....also 7 of us sistas decided to go for a long week-end in Salado and decided upon The Baines House....the owners quickly became our friends and we have now adopted Rod, Sheryl, and Tux the dog into our sisterhood!!!!!! I will be going again end of August with many more friends old and new!!!! Can't wait!!!! Food outstanding, atmosphere beautiful, and folks who really want to make your stay one to remember and share with all your friends!!! So what you waiting for...pack your bags and get on down to Baines House!!! We loved it!!!Sharee ,Clydene, Melva, Suz-ann, Janis, Faye, and Susan June 2012

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Baines House Inn & Gallery

Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I had spent the weekend at the Seaberry Cottage back in 2003 and had a lovely time. The breakfast Migas were fantastic and the folks were very friendly. Second time around was terrible. I took my daughter for her birthday for a mother daughter get away. We stayed in Chloe's Cottage. We had to heat water from the the coffee pot to bath in because the hot water had been turned down so low. I guess in order to save money. It took most of the evening just to bathe which was ridiculous especially considering the cost per night. There was no one around to contact about the problem. We wanted to have a good time so we made the best of it and laughed it off. I had spoken with what I thought was the owner from my last visit when making the reservation. I asked if it would be possible to request Migas again and told him how good they were on our last visit in 2003 . He said that it would not be a problem at all. The next morning we went to have breakfast in the dining room. He and his wife brought out a soup tureen and a plate with wedges of toast and disappeared. We were the only guests at the B&B. We opened the tureen and it looked like some kind of cream of chicken soup. I tasted it and it was cold. I told my daughter " I think we've just been served their last nights left over soup for breakfast!" At that point I walked into the kitchen but no one was around. We went back to the room packed up and left immediatley. Within a week I was e mailed upcoming specials from Baines B&B and I wrote back explaining about the room and breakfast and asked for a refund for the second night that had been charged to my credit card. No reply. I left a phone message also. The promotional e mail was the last I heard from Baines B&B. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank chilydog
umhbsheryl, Owner at Baines House Inn & Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

I've not followed Trip Advisor until recently or I would have replied in a more timely way. Of course, we wish that everything could be special - every single time - and we strive for personal interaction with every guest. Our goal is always simple luxury and satisfaction. If we had known of your hot water concerns while you were here we could have relocated you to another lodging or adjusted the water temperature. We pride ourselves on our food but tastes are different. Migas are a favorite but people also enjoy creamed chicken on toast points...or we would not serve it. We are always available to guests via phone and we live close by. Perfection is always our goal.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

I recently spent a weekend at The Baines House with my sisters and their daughters. We probably shouldn’t have planned a weekend in Salado when it was 108 in Texas, but it was the only weekend we had – so we decided to take our chances. Thank goodness we decided to take that chance at The Baines House!

Due to the stifling heat they were having problems with the AC unit in our reserved cottage – so without hesitation they moved us to the main house. That actually turned out to be a better situation for us because we had the whole house to ourselves, and more room to spread out. So they were very accommodating with the accommodations!

My nieces loved the old fashioned style of the house, and remarked that it reminded them of their PeePaw & Nannie’s house. It’s a blessed day when someplace can stir the memories in your heart! The grounds are very interesting and there are lots of great photo-ops!

Rod & Cheryl are without a doubt the reason The Baines House is so unique. They treated us like family. They have both led such interesting lives, and it’s a joy to listen to them as they draw you into their stories. Rod is the Chef and he has mastered the kitchen! Cheryl is an accomplished artist and absolutely delightful!

Salado is a wonderful little village and we definitely plan to return when the weather is cooler. We look forward to relaxing on the screened porch at The Baines House in those oversized rocking chairs, sharing a glass of wine, and creating more memories for our family – thanks to the hospitality of The Baines House family!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank stilljustanut
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Good things: the couple who run the B&B are very nice and friendly and we enjoyed visiting with them over breakfast. The breakfast was tasty: fresh fruit, waffles with a warm cherry sauce, and sausage. Our cabin was roomy and the bath had plenty of towels.
Disappointing things: the shower didn't work. There was a sign telling how to operate the faucet but it wasn't a question of how to operate. It was stuck tight and didn't work. So, we had baths. Not the most convenient for washing our hair but we improvised. When we arrived, no one was there to greet us. We found a groundskeeper who showed us where the key had been left in a little box for us (we checked in about 5 pm) and he showed us to our room. We went to the dining room for the tea and wine tasting, but no one was around and we figured we had missed it. There was a pitcher of a pink beverage (lemonade?) but no ice. There were 3 triangles of laughing cow cheese, some crackers and some vanilla wafers. Then the groundskeeper emerged from the kitchen and eyed us warily and I felt like we were trespassing, so we left. Two other not-so-good things: no decaff coffee in the room and only instant decaff at breakfast, and there were 2 mouse poops in our room, one on the daybed and one on the desk. No sightings of the mice, though! There were no other guests at the inn on the night we stayed there. It was a weekend when nothing special was happening in town.
The innkeepers are so nice and friendly and explained that on busy weekends they have more staff besides just the two of them. The best part of our stay was eating the home made waffles and talking with them. I would give this inn another try but make sure the shower works upon check in. The innkeeper stated they have had trouble with the faucets before.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rockingfranch

Yikes Stripes. I certainly agree that mice are a turn off but we don't poison anything but fire ants. We try to catch and release mice. We remove shower heads and clean them often but our high calcium water affects them very quickly. Some shower head designs have not been easy to operate and we've replaced them. After 14 years we are still learning about products and striving to be perfect. Our area resources no longer carry decafe coffee in pre-measured packages. Thus we switched to instant. We will look further, of course. I have just learned about Trip Advisor and their review system so this explanation is long in coming. This certainly keeps us on our toes!

Reviewed March 28, 2011

My husband and I were in town for a weekend getaway. We had a nice stay in Rebecca's Haven at the Baines House. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. It was a nice change to be without a television. The bathroom was small but fine for a few days. Breakfast was excellent and we enjoyed the desserts too. Rod and Cheryl were terrific hosts. We would definitely return there.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank minmib
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We have stayed many times at B&B's in Salado. We love Inn on the Creek and the Rose Mansion. But this visit we found a new jewel and we look forward to returning to stay there again. The Baines House has four rooms in the main house, two cozy suites in The Granary, and Chloe's Cottage and Ryann's Cottage that are adjoined by a peaceful "dog run". We stayed in Chloe's Cottage and LOVED it!! It is a very spacious room with a King size bed, sitting area, electric stove/fireplace for a little extra heat and romantic ambience. The bathroom is spacious and has a shower for two with two shower heads as well as a tub large enough for two to soak in. The room also has a little bar area with a small sink and fridge. Our cottage had everything we needed and was a perfect place for a romantic anniversary getaway. When we return to the Baines House we look forward to staying in Seaberry Cottage. This is an adorable little guest house behind the main house. Rod and Sheryl were wonderful hostesses and we enjoyed visiting with them over a delicious breakfast!! We especially enjoyed the dessert they served us at the end of breakfast. What a treat!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MLJCJB
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Seven of us college girlfriends celebrating our 50th birthdays stayed in the Main House (4 Rooms). We squealed with delight when we stepped into this lovely place. I especially loved the screened porch with rocking chairs...and Jack the Nipper (hint: he has beautiful green and red feathers...and loves to visit.) Cheryl and Rod are such warm, hospitable hosts. They genuinely enjoyed visiting with their guests and made us all feel at home. I would not suggest staying in the Main House with others you don't know as there is little privacy, but if you stay as a group of friends...it's perfect! Oh, and the king beds were great.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelingqueen5010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salado
Holiday Inn Express Salado-Belton
Inn on the Creek
#1 of 12 in Salado
Yellow House Bed and Breakfast
Stagecoach Inn Motel & Conference Center

Been to Baines House Inn & Gallery? Share your experiences!