“Relax in shady comfort”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salado
StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 12 Salado B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Last weekend, my cousin and I decided to take a short trip to Salado, Texas. We have been there many times, but had only stayed overnight once. This time we chose to stay overnight at the Stonecreek Settlement Bed & Breakfast. WOW!!!! Jill and Johnny Shipman are the owners and operators and they make you feel very welcome and at home. My cousin and I stayed in the Galveston cottage. Yes, there are several cottages, named after towns in Texas and all individually spaced in a lush of trees and beautiful greenery. Each cottage has a porch with rocking chairs and it is so quiet (even though it is close to I35) you never hear the highway. Each cottage, has a Jacuzzi and breakfast nook with microwave and coffee pot. Also, it is in walking distances to town. Better to drive, though, because after shopping all day, you could never carry everything back. I will definitely stay there again, even if I don't shop, just for the peace, comfort and quiet of the setting. Don't miss it, you'll regret it.

Room Tip: Each cottage is unique in its own, so check online and view each one. We stayed in the Galveston co...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank vgtinsley
artistSaladotx_, Owner at StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

So glad you could relax at Stonecreek. Thanks for the review. Jill

There are newer reviews for StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The cottage is so beautiful, romantic, and perfect for my husband and me. We went for our anniversary and were able to spend time in the cottage and surrounded by nature. The town is quaint and the people are wonderful. We have decided to go again in the future with our children.

• Stayed: June 2013

We had a great time designing, building and decoration Stonecreek. Thanks for the review. Jill

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I take a group every year and book the entire property. My team loves the individual accommodations and the laid back casual atmosphere. Jill and John do an excellent job hosting our group and go out of their way to take care of anything we need. We have some of our meals there and they are always well done. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thanks so much for your continuing visits. We always love having you. Jill

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We take a group to Salado every May and always stay at Stonecreek. We couldn't be happier with the cottages, service, food and hospitality. Jill and Johnny are the epitome of southern hospitality. All of the cottages are inviting and comfortable. The entire property is well-maintained and very quiet and restful.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

What a great review. Thanks so much. Hope your pictures turned out great! Jill

Reviewed April 18, 2013

First let me say that for several years I was a concierge at the only 5 diamond resort in the Midwest. I tend to notice the "little" things, and can be critical at times. I am now a travel agent, and am very cautious about recommending properties. I want my clients to have an outstanding time during their vacation, and I want to be able to recommend a property with confidence.

My sister and I treated our 95 year old Mother to a "girls getaway" at StoneCreek Settlement, and I must say that I was quite pleased with the charming, unique grounds, and our private little cottage. I have no complaints---only praise for a well run bed and breakfast. I can certainly recommend this property with the utmost of confidence to my clients.

Thank You StoneCreek Settlement for a wonderful weekend in Salado!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Our B&B is made more wonderful by people like you! Thanks for the review. Jill

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I hated to end up writing a bad review, because I had read a bad review of this place and emailed and asked all about it. I was assured all was AOK..... but for me and my husband I can only say it was a terrible experience

We got there a bit early and were able to peek in the room before it was clean. the Salado looks so nice in pictures and from the looks it seemed okay... so off we went to enjoy our day in Salada.

When we got back at about 4 we went into the room and decided to use the huge whirlpool....ugh..4 inches of water in the tub and the hot water heater was empty...empty,,, emtpty.

We splashed our bodies off becuase now we could not even shower.

***************************

We went out for dinner...came back early expecting to watch a dvd that we found in the room...started to look for the dvd player and tv. Finally found a small, maybe 12 inch tv player as far across room from the bed as possible. Only way to watch something that small was to sit on the couch.... ha, ha, joke there. The three cushions on this old, hard couch do not even touch..so you slip in between them...(No one could sit there and watch a movie.)

so we decided just to go to sleep at 9 at night. Boring.

Well then begins a night of hell. The bed (if you want to call it a bed) King size must have cost them a whopping $100 or less. We both sunk down into it so bad. After 15 minutes my back was on fire.... I told my husband we should leave but we didn't want to drive home to San ANtonio in the dark....

Then, I said to him....How does the Breakfast look? We had smelled a delicious breakfast being cooked when we got there....

well, guess what....(No breakfast was in our refrigerator) So I called and the owner asked me if I was sure that it wasn't there? Seriously... the frigerator is only two foot tall,.... I think I know an empty refrigerator when I see one....

She asked if I would be awake in an hour and half because thats when she could bring the breakfast....

She did show up in half an hour after all, but hey I was up all night long...in pain from the bed.

*************************************

I like to keep a bathroom light on when I'm somewhere strange...and about 2 in the morning....
suddenly the light wnet out....about ten minutes later...it went back on... This happened twice in the night... (sort of like a light show...I was still awake watching it all)

****************************************
At about 6 am... a neighbor's dog started barking right outside ....Now seriously....this must happen every morning ....and the dog barked non stop for a half hour.....
************************************'

So we got up....both exhausted from no sleep, both with aching backs....

I tried again to run the tub....again 4 inches of hot water...then no more hot water at all....
splash off again...ugh

So, we hoped for a great breakfast......

First off, the microwave barely worked, so we had to reheat and reaheat the food (they give no directions on how to heat the food to begin with)_

Well, we took a bite of what was suppose to be strawberry french toast...and it was just soggy...mess...... the sausage patties..... never got warm.... fruit was fine..and orange juice was good...

finally my husband, who had been trying to let me enjoy a bed and breakfast, said...can we go home now

we left before 8 in the morning....drove tired and sore home and slept for five hours and then went and had a good breakfast.

************************************'

I sent an email and explained all this to the owners.....Nothing....No appology....nothing...and I asked for my money back twice...Nothing.....

Usually, I try to find something nice to say...but this time I cannot.

The swing in the picture on their website..is old and not like you see....

********************************************

I did stop out at a newer b and b called the Yellow house...now I haven't stayed there yet...but next time I will....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tlouiselilly
artistSaladotx_, Owner at StoneCreek Settlement Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

April 3, 2013

Dear Mrs. Lilly,

My name is Debbie Charbonneau and I am the Tourism Director for the Village of Salado. It is my responsibility to oversee the lodging properties in our great Village. I am writing you in regards to your most recent stay at Stonecreek Settlement.

Mr. and Mrs. Shipman, the owners, spoke with me about your comments. After reading the emails I decided to do an inspection of the property. I must tell you that this is the first time in nine years that I have had to inspect any lodging property in Salado.

I arrived and was served the same breakfast you and your husband were served and found the found the stuffed French toast to be delicious and I was served a cup of tea also.

I then went to inspect the San Marcos cottage. Here is where I am going to address each of your comments separately.

The cottage was very clean.

The spa bath is a 70 gallon tub. When you stated that when the tub had only 4 inches of water and the hot water gave out concerned me. When speaking with Mr. and Mrs. Shipman they have a 50 gallon tank with fast recovery so there should have been more than 4 inches of water in the tub.

Mr. and Mrs. Shipman told me that they tell all of their guests that there are small televisions in the rooms with DVD players. When you stated that you sat on the couch and the cushions didn’t fit, I decided to sit on the antique couch and found it to be comfortable being an antique.

The bed you are referring to I laid down on. The mattress is at least an 8 inch mattress with a pillow foam on top. I didn’t sink down at all but found it to be very comfortable along with a lot of very fluffy pillows.

To address your last comment regarding the breakfast. As I stated earlier I was served the same breakfast you were served. The French toast was excellent and was not soggy at all. The fruit was fresh, the sausage was excellent and the pastries were homemade and quite delicious.

As I stated earlier this is the first letter regarding Stonecreek Settlement that I have received in 9 years.

After completing my inspection, I found nothing to be wrong the food or the San Marcos. Mr. and Mrs. Shipman take great pride in their property and to make sure all of their guests are satisfied and they will return again and again.

Thank you for your comments.
Respectfully,

Debbie Charbonneau
Village of Salado Tourism Director

Reviewed March 14, 2013

The folks at Stone Creek Settlement were very easy to book and work with. We stayed at the Salado House, there is a quaint pond with a waterfall right at your feet. There are 7 different cottages to choose from on the propert. Some are one bedroom, but there are larger ones to stay in if you are taking family or friends. The accommodations were excellent, the grounds were well kept and the place was very safe and clean inside. What more do you need, besides having a bunch of cool shoppes to visit and a skydiving location very close? We normally choose to stay at different places when we vacation, but there is no need to stay somewhere else when we return to Salado in October. We will see you again, actually...we have already booked!

Room Tip: Pick a cottage that has the corner tub...there's room for two ;) The Salado House is just one o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

The most common word describing Stonecreek is peaceful. So glad you had a quite get-a-way. Jill