“Best quesadilla and cheesecake I've ever had!”

McCains Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Salado
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: McCain's is a small town/local owned breakfast and lunch establishment. We opened in September of 2008, and have become a favorite of locals and tourist as well as a welcomed stop for the weary travelers from nearby Interstate 35. We have an espresso bar, but if you love coffee, be sure to try our Salado's Best Coffee". Salado is a great get-away village located halfway between Waco and Austin, Texas. "The Great Place" aka Fort Hood Military Base is just a quick 30 minute drive away. Stillhouse Hollow Lake and Belton Lake are very near as well. We hope to see you soon, but please note we are only open 7:00 a.M. - 2:00 P.M. And we close on Wednesdays.
Salado, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best quesadilla and cheesecake I've ever had!”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Found this place tucked away on main st. and decided to give it a try...

My experience in one word WOW!

When I first walked in it seemed like the everyday coffee shop I've eaten in a million times before. Then my lunch arrived and it was love at first bite!

Finished up lunch with a piece of the chefs made from scratch cheesecake to go. All I can say about the cheesecake is OMG!!

Definately a hidden treasure more tourists should hunt down!!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Weezada1

Heidelberg, Germany
“Wonderful service, great atmosphere, good hearty food”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stopped here for breakfast as we could find no other breakfast place in Salado (on the Main street). The service was fantastic and so friendly. The coffee (the Salado special coffee) was really, really good and the mugs and thick and sturdy. I love good coffee mugs. The American breakfast was really inexpensive ($7.95) and came with two eggs, three pieces of bacon, hashbrowns and two pieces of toast. The eggs were perfect, the hashbrowns could have been crispier (I didn't ask for them well-done, I will next time) and the bacon was good but could have been crispier as well. The portions were large--I did not finish my whole plate. Next time we are in Salado we will stop here for breakfast again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank smurrayroberts
Richmond, Texas, United States
“McCain's for Lunch”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Very Good. Husband swears it has the best Reuben he has EVER had - Ever! Also try the baked potato salad!

Visited May 2014
Texas
“Loved It!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We really enjoyed our breakfast at McCains. We were a large group of 10 people. The waitress could not have been more helpful.

We ordered a variety of foods. The Migas Eggs were excellent and remarkably inexpensive.

We tried both coffees on offer. Botth were most enjoyable.

I will definitely return sometime.

Visited May 2014
“Good but could be better”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Third or fourth visit to McCain's. Always the lunch stop when driving between Dallas and Austin. They have amazing coffee with a hint of maple and I always drink too much caffeine on the drive because it's just so darn good.

Had a half sandwich and cup of soup. Soup was salty and oily but very tasty. Sandwich was good but nothing special. Chicken salad has a good base but very bland.

Food took longer than it should and then I overheard a server continually asking the cook if 'they weren't too busy, could they PLEASE make the order that was in'. Servers were off target by repeatedly delivering food to the wrong table.

Wish we could try breakfast as it seems that pleases more reviewers.

• Visited April 2014

Been to McCains Bakery and Cafe? Share your experiences!