“Nothing good about this place except old memories”
Review of Stagecoach Inn

Stagecoach Inn
Ranked #19 of 34 Restaurants in Salado
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The historic dining room at the Salado Stagecoach Inn has been open and operating since 1861. Come visit and dine at the "Oldest Restaurant in the State of Texas"! We feature delicious dishes that can only be complimented with our famous "Strawberry Kiss" and yummy hush puppies. We look forward to serving you!
Dallas, Texas
“Nothing good about this place except old memories”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I'm 60 and i first ate here at age 14. Had many trips here since with some very good expereinces then, but haven't been back for the last 11 years until this past weekend. The bad news: It's on its last (wobbly) legs. What an awfull dinner we just had! Stuffed shrimp were very small - notihng that could be stuffed. The purported "stuffing" consisted of a pile of cold-half-defrosted-sopping-wet-bread-crumb-goo plopped on each one of the poor little things which were also cold. It was not edible and a requested return to the kitchen for a heating and dry-out did not help. And how can you miss with chess pie? It was also very wet and runny.
The service? If you like family style you will be comfortable, i.e. picture this: Our waitress with a chld on her hip whle she serves your table. Never before have we had that experience.

It is so sad to see a once good restautrant die but this one needs a final burial.

• Visited January 2013

Killeen, Texas
“Christmas Lunch”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I've wanted to go to this restaurant since I first saw it. I wasn't disappointed with what I had. A friend and I went there for lunch and we both had hamburgers. They were excellent! Before our food arrived the waitress brought us hush puppies and chicken broth that was awesome!
The service was excellent and the atmosphere was great. I look forward to returning with my family for another great meal.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Merechat2
“What a Disaster”
Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

I have been eating at the Stagecoach Inn for twenty years. It has always been outstanding until today. It started off ok but after the hush puppies and salad it was all downhill. The restaurant was busy (it was 1:00 pm) but we waited over 45 minutes for our food. Then two tables got up and left. As they were leaving they said they had been waiting over 90 minutes. Our waitress Carol was slow. We later learned she was serving the two ends of the restaurant. The other end had 60 people. With people leaving and the rest of us complaining, it finally got their attention. Shanna was assigned to take care of our area in addition to her own area. She was the one bright light of the entire disaster. She really tried hard!

After another 30 minutes we finally got our food. The chicken fried steaks were room temperature and the potatoes were dry. The green beans were raw. We were told that they only half cook them then let the heating lamps finish the job. Absolutely unacceptable! My wife asked for peach cobbler and it came out dry and tasting bad. When Shanna was finally able to get to us my wife asked her if it came with ice cream on top (it has always had ice cream before). She was told that you have to ask for ice cream now. Shanna tried to blame all the problems on them being busy. I told her that I had been there many times when it was busier and it had always been outstanding. The grand finale was as we were leaving a server dropped a large tray in the middle of the dining room sending food and broken glass everywhere.

As we paid the bill no one on the staff said a word to us. What a rude establishment.

If Restaurant Impossible needs a mission, this is the restaurant. Won't be going back!

1 Thank TXDiamondback
Tampa, Florida
“What's all the fuss about”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

When I moved to the Salado area several people told me abotu this historic restaurant. We went to eat and frankly I can't figure it out. Slow service, and we were there at about 2:00. Mediocre food that is Applebee's quality. Above average cost. For my money I would say skip it.

• Visited August 2012
Temple, Texas
“Granny's favorite”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is one of my granny's favorite restaurants to stop by and boy am I glad it is! It has a very southern charming feel and the food, which is served in courses, has always been pretty darn good. :) The Strawberry Kiss is the perfect dessert (which is included, so indulge!) to end your night!

Visited July 2012