“Fantastic food”

Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Salado
Cuisines: Southwestern, French, Italian, Bar
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Alexander's overlooks one of the most beautiful sections of Salado Creek. It features an upscale and intimate bar on the 1st floor that opens onto a veranda and deck with a spectacular creek view. Dining & beverage service is available on first floor, as well as event spaces on second and third floors. Alexander's offers a variety of appetizers, salads, entrees, & desserts.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Great food at a reasonable price. After several days of eating in restaurants serving Texas sized portions it was nice to eat a decent meal and not come away feeling bloated. The chef is young and obviously has a great future. Go there.

There are newer reviews for Alexander's Distillery

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We loved everything we tried. Very nice fine dining in a great atmosphere. You could choose between a more private setting, in the bar area, or on the patio over looking the creek.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The service was excellent, the bar food was great, and the atmosphere was amazing! Very laid back and fun, but still classy and sophisticated. This is the nicest place to go out for a drink in Salado, hands down!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

4 star restaurant, incredible food, great staff, and fabulous view. We will be coming back for sure. I would highly recommend you go there. They have three floors to pick from.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

As usual, I arrived without a reservation, and although most restaurants can find a table for me, sometimes, I run out of luck. Fortunately, such was not the case when I visited Alexander's Distillery. It's hard to say what the grounds look like because I arrived after sundown, but as I parked across the road and walked across the grass to the front door, I could tell that the lawn was well maintained from how it felt under my shoes.

The building is old, and it was renovated with a big enough budget to make it look contemporary, tasteful, and upscale. The clientele looked very well heeled.

I ordered the warm spinach salad and the orange roughy. The salad was served with a warm, roasted, shallot, vinaigrette that wilted the spinach slightly, as intended, bits of crunchy bacon, and a tablespoon's worth of tiny specks of crumbled, hard boiled egg white. The orange roughy was served with a double helping of haricots vertes (slender French string beans) with herbed, brown, butter instead of mashed potatoes because I asked for no potatoes. The roughy was served under a garnish of fresh, minced parsley and thyme.

My waitress who may have been a bartender served me the wrong salad, but as soon as I pointed out the misunderstanding, she apologized needlessly and profusely and served the spinach salad to me soon after.

Toward the end of my meal, I had a new waiter who was also polite. Both my waitress and my waiter seemed to genuinely care if I was enjoying my meal.

I always read dessert menus although I rarely order anything from them. That night, I asked my waitress if I might be served a cheese course instead of dessert. Imagine my surprise when she said that they could do that. They served me a platter with a tiny, whole, goat's cheese crusted with walnuts, a small wedge of Camembert that was a bit too young, a couple of pieces of Manchego, two or three chunks of a cheese soaked in red wine, and a sharp, white Cheddar.

I finished that with a double espresso which was a bit thin yet tasty.

The restaurant demonstrated depth that I have seen only in the better of big city restaurants. I think that somebody in that kitchen is destined for a very bright and successful culinary future.

Will I return? Yes. Will I recommend it? Yes.

1  Thank FastidiousDiner