“Terrible service”

Add it.
Crowell's Fish Camp
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We visited The Fish Camp on a Friday night. Our waiter was nice enough but early on he made the comment he was new. He was visably frazzled. The restaurant was packed and there were 6 of us in our party. The service was super slow and we were all just worn out by the end of dinner. Attempting to get our orders right, getting our food delivered, getting the bill correct, etc. Management should have had our waiter working with another waiter or they should have provided him with more training before expecting him to wait tables. There were other people around us who were obviously getting the same service. The food was pretty tasty and the country setting was a really nice change of pace. If management could get it all organized this could be a neat place to dine. Until then though I wouldn't recommend going there during a busy time.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We been to fish camp three times , the first time was so bad, but two years later try it again , they are still trying , too many kids working there so service is bad, then they all pile up in a corner booth and forget to work, don't go on sunday they quit cooking early, no fresh food wont open new pies because they are close next three days ... ... they could just make a killing but seems are scared to lose a couple dollars huge ....
just have to travel to real restaurant

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is a perfect location to take the family to watch the sunset, let the kids fisha nd listen to the band. However, the food is only so-so (catfish is good) service is high schoolo kids. Our appetizer came out after dinner!, the mixed drinks were weak and neither the kithchen nor the server knew the menu. Also, the prices were high for the quantity.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

This has to be one of the gems of North Texas. My relatives have been raving about this restaurant. And I was kind of perplexed because of the reviews about poor service. DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO THOSE NEGATIVE REVIEWS. This restaurant rocks for its food and location. There were seven of us in our party and we quickly were escorted to a table outside. That is where you want to be. We were swiftly waited on. And then the fun began. I started off with the raw oysters. Let me tell you, coming from the Northeast, I was skeptical about how good they would be compared to those luscious Maine oysters. No fear. They rocked!!!! They were big, fresh and tasty. Then I had a blackened tilapia which also was very good. They nailed it. Kudos the the chef and wait staff. And just as an added bonus, there was live entertainment. For the children, they can fish in the pond. You can't go wrong dining at Fish Camp. It ain't your grandfather's fish camp.

Reviewed April 18, 2012

Crowell’s Fish Camp is off the beaten path, but has quite a following. A relaxed, country place, Fish Camp is located about 12 miles east of Lake Ray Hubbard on I30, and just over two miles south from Exit 79, it is open Thursday through Sunday. Their menu features fried and grilled catfish, but also has tilapia, shrimp dishes, BBQ & burgers, and a rib eye steak. The variety of appetizers, salads, sides, and desserts offers a great accompaniment for the main dishes. Wines, beers, and mixed drinks are available. Prices are reasonable: one appetizer, two dinners, one wine, one beer: $46 plus tip. $11 was for drinks. Directions, complete menu, and other information can be found by searching Internet for Fish Camp Royce City.

The north side of the restaurant is mostly glass, with roll-up doors opening onto a covered patio for dining outdoors near the fish pond. At the pond’s edge, the concrete walkway with railing allows your kids to fish (bring your own gear, I think) in relative safety. We arrived just in time for the start of an excellent musical group doing blues and blues-country.

Our waitress was very personable and gave us excellent service. She said she’d only been there four weeks, but was knowledgeable of the menu and processes. The house red wine was excellent, and my Corona Extra with thin slice of lime went well with my catfish.

Dinner started with complementary cups of pinto beans, some sweet-pickled green tomatoes, and a basket of sliced white onions and hush puppies. All were excellent. The pintos were in a tasty soup, cooked just right, with a hint of sweetness. The hush puppies were large-marble size and cooked to a crunchy golden brown.

We ordered the Texas Toothpicks appetizer, which is batter-dipped, fried jalapeno slices. One basket, served with a ranch-dressing sauce, was probably enough for four people! Very tasty, with an occasional touch of fire. They might have been a little better if less oily and more crisp.

I had the large (three-filet) catfish dinner, fish dipped in a cornmeal batter and fried. You can get cocktail sauce or tartar sauce or both. The sauces were excellent. Cocktail sauce had just the right amount of horseradish for me. The French fries on the side were just a little soggy, which could have been due to their not being fried crisp, or their sitting for several minutes under the ketchup I put on them while I focused on the fish and the cole slaw. The slaw had ground black pepper, which is both visible and prominent in the taste. It is different from what I get at BBQ joints in Garland. My girlfriend had blackened catfish with an étoufée sauce. The fish was cooked just right and had an excellent flavor of catfish and spices. The sauce was slightly fiery, which suits her perfectly.

There is an all-you-can-eat catfish dinner for $4 more than the large 3-piece. I think you will need to be very hungry to go the all-you-can-eat route!

The Bourbon Pecan Pie on the dessert menu was tempting, but only if I could take it home and eat it a couple days later. They do offer take-out boxes, almost like they expect you to ask for them. That is not surprising, since no one should leave Fish Camp feeling that they had not eaten enough food.

We had a good first experience at Fish Camp, and will be back for more.

1  Thank Fred4570