“There's a reason it doesn't have "Italian" in its name”

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ranked #159 of 366 Restaurants in Round Rock
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My son wanted to go eat Italian food for his birthday and he lives near Round Rock so he chose the Macaroni Grill. After travelling all over Italy eating real Italian food, my wife and I had low expectations but wanted to keep an open mind since the Macaroni Grill in Austin on 183 is a popular place judging from the cars we've seen there.

The bread was good and the olive oil to dip it in was good quality oil. My son had the veal and said it was good. I had farfalle and grilled chicken with an asiago sauce that was good, but it tasted more French with the heavy sauce than Italian.

They have prosciutto and mozzarella on the appetizer menu which we loved in Italy and I thought the grandsons would enjoy it, but this was not prosciutto. It was more of a thicker slice of poor quality ham wrapped around cheese that didn't taste like mozzarella. The whole combination was terrible tasting and when I told the waiter, he said that the chef may have made a mistake and offered to replace it, but my son said he would eat it as it just tasted like ham and cheese to him. So he ate it, but they should not call it prosciutto. My wife told me most Americans would not know what real prosciutto looks or tastes like so they can sell anything they want, but Costco, Whole Foods, and Central Market in Austin all sell real prosciutto. It is expensive, so maybe that's why this restaurant tries to pass off something that is clearly not prosciutto.

Fortunately Thursday night I is Mezzo Prezzo night so all wine bottles were half price. As with all restaurants, the wine is marked up so much, that even at half price, the bottle we had was still more than twice the price we would pay at Costco's or Specs. But at least if you want to go on Thursday night, you can save a little money if you want pasta.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My kids love both that the menu has a good variety for them, and that they can color on the table cloth. I liked that I could have a friendly conversation with old friends while eating tasty food. Free bread with bowls of olive oil are supplied, and wish I could have taken advantage of that delicious-looking red wine, but I was on antibiotics ... boooo! My blue cheese bibb salad was pretty much just ok -- too much dressing. I should have had just an appetiser size, because the entree size was really large. I took it home and had it for lunch the next day, and it was still passable. The kids had the flat bread pizza (definitely big enough to share), some pasta, and even some chicken fingers that looked nice. It's one of those places where everything on the menu seems "just a little bit more" (ie, extra creamy, or extra saucy).

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Very nice place and conveniently located... Loved the Margaritas and the thin crust pizza... Must have here... If the weather is right, you can sit outside.. Its really nice...

Reviewed November 14, 2013

I had visited this restaurant the previous year and had a great time. Unfortunately this visit was a disaster. The place was slammed on our visit with a wait time of over 40 mins. Once seated the waiter took our order, brought us water and then didn't return for over 10 mins. Upon bringing out the food, we realized there was a mixup at some point and instead of a porkchop, a seared veal shank was brought out. OK, no problem, mistakes happen. Doubling up the mistake, and a big safety issue, the veal shank was raw in the middle. the waiter/manager didn't charge us for the mixup, and did offer us a free desert.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Love the location & ambience with its cozy buzz. Loved the spinach & scallop salad and house white. Pasta portions are generous. The bread they start you with is also fresh and sets you up for what's to come.