“Pretty Gross”

Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I saw this restaurant on my way to Austin and decided to stop in and have lunch. After living in central Texas for many years, I have eaten at MANY Mexican restaurants, so I always look for new or interesting dishes when I try a new restaurant. With that being said, I will say the atmosphere is really great and the wait staff was prompt and courteous. When we sat down were serve the traditional chips and salsa. The salsa was pretty standard fare but was fresh and we enjoyed it. We decided to order a side of queso to go with the chips and let me tell you.....this was not any type of Mexican cheese, nor was it even the "Velveeta" type. It tasted like the cheese sauce out of the can with a few vegetables added....very processed tasting.

For my meal, I ordered the Chicken Cordon Queso....sounded interesting but it was a huge mistake. The dish itself was listed as a chicken breast with queso and a jalepeno wrapped inside. It was exactly what the menu described, but I thought the chicken would be REAL!! It was that artificial chicken breast meat you find in cheap chicken nuggets....you know, the sponge type texture. It even had that frozen breadcrumb breading on the outside which tells me the item was already frozen and probably fried to make it crunchy. Top that off with the fact the cheese inside also had the artificial type flavor and covered in the cheese sauce queso, the whole dish seemed overwhelmingly processed. If this were a real chicken breast, with a good cheese stuffed inside and a decent queso, this dish would have been fabulous!!The rice was good and the charro beans were delicious though.

I can't speak on behalf of any of their authentic Mexican dish items, but I would not recommend the items I had!! I probably wouldn't go back.

There are newer reviews for La Margarita

Reviewed December 14, 2013

Shrimp diablo is the best!! a must stop if your in Round Rock or just passing through. fresh tortes make in the front.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

On the evening before Thanksgiving there was quite a long wait time of approx. 30 minutes so being tired after a long drive in heavy traffic we opted to eat in the bar. A wise decision! The service was exceptional, helpful and fast. The top shelf margaritas were worthy of the name. The menu extensive and our entrée choices and desert were all excellent. A first class meal for a fair price. A great Tex-Mex place at which to eat if you are in north Austin.
Alex M
Duncanville TX

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I had the fajitas which were very good as were the chips and salsa. The restaurant was packed, so service took a little longer than expected, If you stay at the Country Inn across the parking lot, this is an excellent place to have dinner without having to drive away from the hotel.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We arrived late in Round Rock and found this pet friendly restaurant. Not only was the food excellent and the service wonderful but a good variety and very reasonable on their prices. A great place to dine at.