“A great place for BBQ”

Dining options: Breakfast
Austin, Texas
“A great place for BBQ”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

There are many places in Round Rock to get BBQ, and this is one of my regular destinations. Part of a regional chain, this particular located can be found in a strip center off of IH-35, so there’s a lot of available parking. The interior is done in hard wood (walls and floors), and the furniture is plain but simple. There’s a section in the front, separated by some partitions, which serves as a perfect location for large parties or evening Meet-Up groups.

Food is obtained cafeteria-style, as you slide your tray down the shelf. The meat is sliced right there in front of you (to ensure freshness and accuracy of your order. The employees scoop your chosen sides on to your plate. I’ve found the service always to be friendly, and everything done with a smile. I know what I want, but I have observed if others had questions, the employees were more than happy to answer them.

The prices are reasonable, and this is definitely a place to satisfy your inner-carnivore. I got the turkey plate, which was a half-pound of moist deliciousness. The sides of corn-bread stuffing and mashed potatoes covered in melted cheese, plus a piece of Texas toast and a drink, completed my dinner. Every bite was tasty, and the meal was filling without making me stuff.

Besides turkey there’s beef brisket, pork ribs, sausage, and chicken breasts available. As each of the dinner plates come with two sides, there’s over a dozen to choose from (including mac & cheese, and green bean casserole, besides what I mentioned above). While I haven’t gotten any, some desert options like banana pudding can be obtained too.

• Visited August 2014

Emory, Texas
“Great service”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Great service and food. My whole family enjoyed the barbecue. Sat by nolan Ryan picture. Next time will sit by John Wayne picture.

• Visited June 2014
Temple, Texas
“Best Fried Okra Around”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stopped into Pok-e-Jo's in Roundrock on the advice of a friend of mine. This restaurant is in the corner of a sales center at highway 79 and I-35 is a little hard to see from I-35 and you may miss it if not careful (exit 253-A southbound I-35). This was my first visit but will be sure to return when in Austin. You go through a line (cafeteria style) to get your food and if you want okra they cook it to order so it is fresh and hot. I ordered mine crispy and it was crispy not like alot of restaurants that do not know how to cook fried okra. Their brisket, sausage and yes even peach cobbler was also good. My hats off to Pok-e-Jo's.

• Visited May 2014
SW Colorado
“Love their BBQ!”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

While visiting the area from Colorado, we HAD to go to our favorite BBQ place! Since moving to Colorado in 2005, it is very difficult to find good BBQ and this place never disappoints us. We love all the different selections in sides but their beef and chicken can't be beat. Love their sauce too. Can't wait to come back to TX and eat here again!

By the way, we were some of the first customers to Poke-E-Joe's when they opened their first restaurant many, many years ago (1979) in an old house off of MoPac/North Burnet Road. I remember walking up the wooden ramp and entering the old house too and Doug Bohne behind the counter taking our orders! What great memories!

• Visited April 2014
New York City, New York
“Smokey BBQ”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

honestly I was nervous to eat here based on what it looked like inside and out, the result has been decent bbq. Not at the level of Rudy's or Salt Lick but its close and cheaper than smokey moes. Order sit down have a drink and enjoy !

Visited April 2014

Been to Pok-e-Jo's Smokehouse? Share your experiences!