“No good today. Decent before.”

Deckhand Oyster Bar
Ranked #11 of 371 Restaurants in Round Rock
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Ok, this was my third time at Deckhand Oyster Bar. I go there for the oysters, because they taste good.

Today, I got there around 7:45PM. The place was packed. I got a table by myself around 8PM and told the waitress I wanted a dozen raw oysters and later, I would want to have frog legs for my main entree. I was specific that I wanted to have time to enjoy the oysters before the frog legs arrive. She said "of course", like I'm some sort of weirdo for even pointing that out.

After I'm done with my 4th oyster, the frog legs arrive. I'm a bit frustrated because now I have to rush the oysters if I want to get warm frog legs, but I'm accepting it because the restaurant is full and managing the kitchen is probably not easy.

So I gulp down the oysters, which were very good by the way, and I start the frog legs. They are extremely chewy and taste very blend. I've had frog legs in many places and I know this isn't right. I tell my waitress about it. She looks at me like I'm a difficult customer and says "so what do you want me to do about it?". I ask her nicely if I can get something else. She responds that she has to check. Wow, really?

She finally comes back 5 or 10 minutes later and lets me chose something else. I ask if they have grilled shrimps and she says, yes, it's on the menu. Well, I can't find it on the menu. She looks pissed. She repeats that it's on the menu. Finally I ask her to show me and she can't find them either at first. She finally points at the shrimp kabobs. I order them, thinking that I'm going to get grilled shrimps on a skewer or something like that. Instead, I get this meal where shrimps have obviously not been grilled but more like cooked in a real greasy sauce, sort of blackened and the kabobs are actually veggies skewers, also dripping in oil. But it tastes ok, sort of...

At no point does she come to refill my iced tea. Another waitress offers to do that, but never comes back.

Finally, as I'm about to get my check, I hear the table next to mine complain to the manager that their food tasted bad and pretty much refuse to pay. The Manager comps their meal. I'm thinking that's what I should have done too. But I pay my bill and I leave, not very happy. I leave a meager tip as I really think that my waitress was bordeline rude with me.

I don't think I'm coming back there, unless it's only for oysters

Reviewed July 21, 2013

As stated over and over again the oysters are wonderful! Since we were passing through town we wanted to try something local vs chain, but limited risk. The locals come here frequently as noted by the wait staff greeting by first names. My hubby asked about the fried flounder on the menu..he wanted to clarify that it was the whole fish..everything but the head was the response, I was hooked!
I ordered the flounder, while hubby stuck with catfish, which was supposed to be two filets..we concluded that the cook doesn't know how to count, especially since when we had 6 oysters each...and there were 2 extras left on the ice? It was too hard to leave this cozy spot after we paid our tab..we were served other round of beer:) oh, and the food was perfect!

1  Thank Roxana V
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Like I am sure everyone has said, you can't miss the bright orange building! It has a hole in the wall atmosphere (which we appreciate) and the food is amazing! The varieties of oysters on the half shell is awesome! And the shrimp poboys are yummy! Then, there is the Tom Yum soup which my husband gets EVERY time we go!
I will be honest, the service used to be atrocious but it is greatly improved!

1  Thank Amy-R-Z
Reviewed May 30, 2013

You can't miss this building - it's painted bright orange! And you won't want to miss their oysters. Great quality! We've tried all the oysters - raw and prepared. The raw are great and our favorite baked ones are the La Frontera oysters. I love the Fried Catfish and the prices are great. Casual atmosphere and the waitstaff is good.

1  Thank eggjames
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This place has no equal in Austin for their oysters. Their seafood selections are awesome too. The gumbo is not great and the Tom yum soup is horrible.
Étouffée is fair.
The place sometimes has a funky cleaning product smell that's an appetite killer.

2  Thank Flyntexn

Been to Deckhand Oyster Bar? Share your experiences!