“Great Hotel & Staff!!!!!”

Candlewood Suites Austin-Round Rock
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Round Rock
North Richland Hills, Texas, United States
“Great Hotel & Staff!!!!!”
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We arrived after midnight. The staff was bright and cherry and welcoming. We got to our room and saw that it only had one bed, our mistake when we booked the room. The staff iimmeditaly moved us to a new room. The room was sparkling clean, Throughout our entire stay, the staff was friendly and helpful. We are visiting college campus in the area, so not very familar wth the area. Its a great location, we went to a Saltgrass and discovered a great Flix Brewhouse all within 10 miles of the hotel. We have two more campuses to visit, and we will definately use this hotel on our return trips!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Diana W
Nikki P, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Austin-Round Rock, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Thank you Diana for such a wonderful review! I am so happy that the staff was one of the highlights of your stay and that they were able to assist you. We hope to see you soon on your return visits to the area and good luck choosing the perfect college!

Nikki J Patterson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Penampang, Sabah, Malaysia
Reviewed October 19, 2011

1. Very near to my work place. :)

2. Very good price.

3. Very good receptionist service.

4. Very clean and neat and spacious room!.

5. Amnenities are perfect! (Complete kitchenware for use, Internet very fast, convenient to drive to shops around it.)

6. Very comfortable bed.

7. Very sweet and friendly receptionist ;)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank AikZuShyong
We are so happy to hear all the great things you've said about the Candlewood Suites! We take a lot of pride in our amenities and the value they offer our guests. Thank you for your wonderful comments and we hope to see you on your next visit to Round Rock.

Nikki J Patterson
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Overall this Candlewood Suites is not somewhere I would stay again. I normally prefer Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn or Hilton Garden Inn when choosing a mid range hotel, an extra Priority Club brand to get some bonus points, I chose to stay here even though I am not a fan of the brand.

The deal breaker for me, that is the main reason I will not come back.....noise, noise, noise. Traffic noise all night, Trains blowing horns all night, banging doors from nearby units...slamming doors, etc.

I knew I would have fewer perks, but would also have all I needed for the night. Candlewood is a designed as a limited service extended stay so do not expect your typical mid range business traveler perks. This location appears clean but use lots of chemical deodorizers. The staff not particularly friendly, but not rude either. If you know what to expect with the Candlewood brand you might be happy with a stay here if the price is right.

I would imagine in most instances you would have a car at this location as I did. If you do not have a car there are not really any dining options in a safe walking distance. With a car you have nearly unlimited options within 10 minutes.

This Candlewood, as all others, does not have front desk staff from 11pm till 7am, though they do say that they have on site staff all the time. I booked a one bedroom and that is what I was given. My Priority Club Platinum profile says High Floor, away from elevator, and I was first assigned to a first floor room near the elevator. Since it was only for one night, I would have stayed, but the room reeked of a mix of cigarette smoke and strong deodorizer...not good. I asked for a room change and got a room away from the elevator that at least smelled fresh. If you are staying for more than one night there is limited housekeeping service.

The room and common areas were clean though a bit dated. All rooms have a nice size fridge, microwave, sink, kitchenware, microwave, and kitchen table. The room has a work desk, leather chair, and Queen size bed. The bed was comfortable. The studio rooms are not very large, but are comfortable. The one bedroom I was in was like a small apartment. The climate control system worked well, and the blower can be set to on for white noise while still using the air conditioning, but they have a rigged up vent system from the wall unit to the bedroom...not the best at airflow. The room has a TV, VCR, DVD Player, CD player, etc. The TV in the bedroom was a old CRT style TV but had plenty of channels CD. The remote control in the bedroom did not work, and none of the alarm clocks had current time on them. The free wifi service was easy to connect to and was relatively fast for a hotel. Carpet, furnishing's linens, and furniture are all clean but showing some wear and tear.

As for the common facilities, they have quite a few unique offerings. Outside there is a nice sitting area with a gas grill available. (No pool at Candlewood.) Inside, they have a small but sufficient workout room with treadmill, weight machine, bikes, and some other equipment. The equipment was a bit dated, but seemed to be in good working order. They have free use of washers and dryers to do your laundry. They also have an honor system for convenience foods - just choose and charge to your room or pay cash, but unlike most Candlewood's this one has a horrible pantry with limited selection and many of the dairy items were out of date. They offer free video and DVD checkout.

One major thing that I always find lacking at Candlewoods (thus the reason I do not choose them for business trips often) is that they do not have a business center or guest printer. This location at least made a better offering and had a PC and printer in the lobby.

For a cheap stay, this would be an acceptable location if it were not for the noise....with the noise and the dated property, I will look for other options.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the trains and traffic noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank pcsanity
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Do give this a try when you're near Round Rock! It's a great place, quiet, has a workout room -no pool :-( - , generally used for people on extended stays, FREE (did I say FREE?) guest washers and dryers, sparkling clean and they even give YOU free pizza on Wednesday evenings! They also have a little in-store so you can "buy" on the honour system, juices, waters, sodas, ready-for-the-microwave dinners, yogurt, fresh fruit - - - what's not to love?

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We were greeted graciously by Jeannie and were settled in the room that we reserved. It is an extended stay hotel with kitchen facilities that were very complete and spotlessly clean. The shower facility was great and the room was spotless. The queen bed was about the most comfortable that I have ever slept on and the service was excellent. The only problem that I had was when we turned on the heater the smoke alarm would beep like it had a used battery in it. When we turned it off there was no sound. I reported the problem but I have no idea it was fixed because we left that day. It was an excellent value and when we have the opportunity we would return the visit.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Low class, spartan and dingy hotel in a very unappealing location. Everything about the place is cheap, the towels were so rough it was painful to use them. All that might be bearble if the pricce was 1/2 what it was.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
athens, tx
Reviewed February 17, 2010

The morning after my stay the fire alarms started going off. When we got downstairs the staff were in their own little corner. no concern for the guests at all. Finnally we were allowed to go get our belongings and the staff wouldn't do it for me. I have been sick, as has my daughter and no one seems to care. here's the kicker, this same fire happened less than a month ago so they are putting lives at rjsk because they are lazy. i must say a very bad choice!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank barbiwils311
Manager_CSRR, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Austin-Round Rock, responded to this review, August 11, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Candlewood Suites. I am very sorry that you experienced such problems during your stay. I understand it must have been frustrating as well as scary to have to be in an emergency situation in an unfamiliar place with no direction given to you. Unfortunately the hotel did suffer a small fire in February and thankfully nobody was hurt. There were some electrical issues with our employee dryer that were immediately corrected. I would like you to know that your comments are being taken very seriously by myself and the hotel team as a whole. We have re-evaluated our emergency procedures and have begun to make it a point to practice drills atleast two times a month. I understand this does not make up for the experience you had while with us, but in response we have been working diligently to resolve any issues we had at the time of your stay and to ensure an incident such as the one you experienced does not happen again.

Again, I sincerely apologize for the problems you experiened during your stay. Your comments are very important to us. It is the feedback we receive from our valued guests, such as you, that helps us to better pinpoint any problem areas the hotel may have. With this knowledge we are better able to take the necessary steps to ensure similar situations do not happen in the future.