“Good BBQ”
Review of Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ
Ranked #4 of 360 Restaurants in Round Rock
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stopped in on a Saturday afternoon with the wife and son. Loved the layout of the place, had a guitarist outside playing for the people sitting out on the patio. Inside was nice, picnic tables and family style sitting. The menu had a lot of choices, no complaints.

Now for the food. I thought the ribs were very good, sauce average, brisket average. My son had turkey and it was again, average. The sides were disappointing (beans, coleslaw, potatoe salad??), But in the end we ate it all and didn't have room for desert, which looked great by the way.

Prices seemed to be about average. The a la cart prices were high. $9.95 for a SINGLE beef rib???

Overall a B, B+. I admit I like the smaller mom and pop BBQ spots served on butcher paper, but this place was alright.

There are newer reviews for Salt Lick BBQ

Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you are looking for a great Texas experience and wonderful BBQ- this is the place! It is a simple menu, the sides are potato salad, beans and cole slaw and that is it, but it is the best i have tasted! I love coming here. I can usually only make it over there once a year, but i just love it!

Reviewed January 17, 2014

This place has some of the best BBQ I've ever had. The BBQ sauce is right on point and I always have to bring some home with me. The chopped beef is one of my favorites. You'll get large portion sizes here, friendly wait-staff and a welcoming atmosphere. The potato salad is out of this world! Always bring friends/family here when they come to visit from out of state. Highly recommend!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

If anyone has something bad to say about this food, they don't know BBQ. I've had my fair share of BBQ and this place is the best. I went with 1 other girl and 2 guys and we all agreed it was the best we've ever had. I had the chicken which was cooked absolutely perfectly. Not too moist but perfectly fell of the bone. The spicy sauce if fantastic and bought a bottle home with me. The guys had the beef ribs which they loved. As for the sides, the potato salad and cole slaw are made with more of a vinegar base which is delicious. I've never had better potato salad and that says a lot considering it was made in a less traditional way. And let me tell you about that pecan pie...are you kidding me? I don't even like pecan pie and I loved it! Ask to see the pit in the kitchen. They love showing it off and it's awesome! I'd show a pic but you need to go look for yourself! Again, anyone gives this place a bad review doesn't know good BBQ. There's a reason the Food Channel and Travel Channel have visited this place. Go and enjoy!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

Salt Lick is my go to place for good meat. It is large. The food comes quickly. If you come before 6 pm, there is usually no line. I think they have some of the best sausage around. The brisket is not dried out or over peppery. The ribs excel. The cole slaw is ok. The potato salad needs to be fixed, it is boring. The beans too are plain. Here is the deal Salt Lick, I know these are family recipes, they worked in 1860, but today with all the spices and kicked up food, you need to adjust. These sides are boring and keep you from five stars. Also, not all families are meat eaters so what does our vegetarian get to eat? You need more sides and a vege entrée or two. I want to come here more but my son does not eat meat and the sides are boring and the what is left is the salad. I hope you will take this to heart...these little changes will kick it out of the ball park next door. Oh, and the noise level needs to be worked on. My elderly parents could not hear anything...that ceiling could use something to buffer the noise.