“Best BBQ in Austin regardless of location”
Review of Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ
Ranked #5 of 371 Restaurants in Round Rock
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

Salt Lick has no rivals. This location is not quite as good as the original, but it is still better than any other alternatives. I always stop by anytime I'm in town.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

WOW! Where to begin! The food is AMAZING, the service is impeccable and the atmosphere is laid back Texas style. We ordered enough food for an army and managed to finish it all. The pecan pie a la mode at the end was not to be missed. If you like brisket you can order "burnt tips" its the crispy edges that they shave off and they are amazing, JUST TRY THEM, you wont be sorry. The Turkey, Brisket, and Sausage was my favorite, the ribs were good, the slaw is AWESOME and so is the potatoe salad. The bread is also yummy and washed down with some southern tea is how it should be! You wont regret making the trek out to this place, i promise!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Salt Lick is certainly an institution (their biggest day, Father's Day with 2,000 served that day. I asked) and deservedly so. The place runs like a well oiled machine (I'm guessing it's a $20 million a year operation) and while they get you in and out pretty quickly, it doesn't feel that way. The only problem was the food is only average, at least to me. As they used to say with Horn and Hardart, you can't eat atmosphere. I'd recommend going, but would set the bar low and only go once.

1  Thank andrewhmm
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I've always had a good meal here at the Round Rock location - would like to eventually go to the original in Driftwood for comparison purposes. The pork ribs are tender and the chopped sandwich is really 2 sandwiches worth of meat/bread. The sides are okay. The sauce is one-of-a-kind. I was able to go on a Sunday when they served smoked prime rib and I can honestly state it was one of the best prime ribs I've ever had. Apparently, they're only serving it in Driftwood now. Good eats!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Turkey was dry and I am not a fan of the sweet BBQ sauce. Service was decent and environment is good.