“tasty”
Review of Salt Lick BBQ

Salt Lick BBQ
Ranked #4 of 360 Restaurants in Round Rock
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2012

we had dinner here and it was a lot of food. we had the plates...any combination of up to 3 meats....brisket, pork ribs and sausage. Brisket was dry...would not get it again. I would definitely order the sausage, pork ribs and Turkey. As we were leaving the restaurant, the waiter let us taste the turkey and boy it was soooooo moist and tasty! The service was outstanding and there were lots of food.

There are newer reviews for Salt Lick BBQ

Reviewed January 22, 2012

We hit this Food Channel BBQ on the way to Ikea on Sunday and holy wow. They sat us right away but we had to go back to see the open pit where they smoke and cook the meats. They will gladly walk you thru the kitchen and show you the pit, nothing to hide here. We ordered the family style meals and the meats just melt in your mouth. Our server Liz was one of the best servers too, and the food could have spoke for it's self. She brought us samples of some of the desert items and a big piece of the bark which is the burnt part of the brisket that is amazing. Ask for some bark if you go, holy wow it's good and flavorful. This is now my favorite BBQ place and I hightly recomment it as a stop to Austin or Round Rock, we will drive up again from San Antonio just for the food and service!

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Beautiful grounds. Huge restaurant. Prices were so cheap and you ate like a king. Get the burnt brisket. Best brisket I have ever had

Reviewed January 18, 2012

It's a ways out of Austin if you're visiting downtown but very much worth it. Cash only and BYOB, but there is an adjacent place to buy some beer or wine (i love wine, but this is beer food). The restaurant is huge and sprawling over a fair bit of property. Plenty of parking! Inside the main building it feels like an enormous family reunion. Order family style and prepare to drown in meat,meat and more meat! The brisket is as good as it gets, the ribs are yummy... don't miss it if you have an opportunity.

Reviewed January 18, 2012

I went here with my wife, who had been told by colleagues in the area that it was pretty authentic Texas BBQ, and I think that's about the best way to describe it.
Walking in you can smell the wood smoke from the car park, and walking to the entrance you can see the logs stacked by the wall. Walking inside you can really smell the food straight away, with the the chefs cooking over an open pit to the left as you enter.

One thing that surprised me on entering is the lack of tables in the traditional sense; instead you have large wooden picnic style tables that seat between five and twenty per table all contained within something like a giant.. barn? Warehouse? One big room anyway. Consequently we were kind of disappointed in that were seated in a room to the side and avoided the obvious good atmosphere in the main restaurant.

The waitress was polite and importantly sincere. If there's one thing I hate in restaurants it's distant professionalism, but the waitress was upfront and very personable.
We ordered what amounted to basically slabs of meat with BBQ sauce and 'fixins' (sides). The beer came quick and in a nice heavy glass mug and full to the brim. The main meal arrived soon after and I was surprised by the plastic plate separating the beans, coleslaw, potato salad and meat, but took it at face value as just how it is.

Never having had BBQ before, I was relying on my wife to tell me if it was up to scratch and she was impressed with the potato salad (right amount of mayonnaise apparently) and the coleslaw. I enjoyed the beans and the meat was nice and tender and not burnt to a cinder to avoid lawsuits about undercooked meat like a lot of places now days, with a nice smoked taste. I'm not a fan of BBQ sauce, but I certainly couldn't fault Salt Lick's .
Although I wouldn't go so far as to say the meat was succulent, it certainly satiated my appetite.

We finished our mains and opted for Pecan pie. My wife's grandma grew pecans in her backyard and considers herself a pecan pie connoisseur; she gave the pie 5 stars. I'm no expert but it hit the spot for me.

I want to give it four stars, because the strange seating arrangements; sitting right next to a perfect stranger isn't my idea of good fun, but really I can't fault it: Good food, good service and at under $50 for a full meal for two with two beers and a desert apiece, a good price.

Definitely recommended.