“Clean, but getting old”

Ranked #25 of 26 Hotels in Round Rock
Dallas
“Clean, but getting old”
Reviewed December 2, 2010

This seems to be a very clean hotel, but it is getting old. It looks like they are not paying
much attention to the upkeep; maybe because there is a newer La Quinta about 5 miles away.

Positives:
Clean room
Clean bedding
Mattress in good condition
Quiet
Breakfast was plentiful and fresh
Pets are free

Negatives:
Wall paper peeling at the seam in 3rd floor hallway
Ice Machine broken on 3rd floor.
Internet and phone not working in room
Finish coming off bathtub bottom.
Heater smell was awful.

The hard wired internet in the room was not working, and I did not get a wireless
signal either; the phone was broken so I could not call the front desk. I did not
care too much about using the internet anyway--otherwise I would have asked to
be moved.
The heater had a awful smell when I turned it on and the smell did not go away after running it for about 10 minutes ; it was much worse than the smell you get
sometimes when turning it on for the 1st time in the fall at home. It is hard to describe, but it was almost like a mix of burnt hair/burnt toast. Having it on made my spouse and
I's noses get stuffed up. I turned off the heater and thankfully I had brought a portable hepa air cleaner which fixed the air.
The tub floor in the shower/bathtub combo had an area where the finish was coming off;
so it was not very attractive.

I probably would not stay here again if I had other hotel choices in the same price range; but I had made the reservation at the last minute on the holidays and there were not a lot of choices at the time that could fit a family with small children. ( 2 queen beds).

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
LA California
Reviewed January 15, 2010

Stayed at the La Quinta on a business trip. It was off the freeway (I-35) . It was just a hotel. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, the bathroom had a HUGE shower/tub area. The king bed was comfortable. Not HD plasma
TV just regular TV. It was fine for what I was doing in town. The downside is that with no car the walk was a little 'dicey' down the frontage road to where the restaurants are located, with a car it would be okay. Good food choices close by. (Just for informational purposes there is a Hilton Garden Inn and a Holiday Inn that are actually right next to the restaurants that make them a little more attractive choices.) The breakfast/continental breakfast had a little to be desired, that is one thing they could definitely improve upon and there is no business center or general public computer.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Texas
Reviewed December 18, 2009

This is an average at best La Quinta. The staff was friendly and helpful, but there isn't a feeling of safety at this hotel. Some of the back parking lot lights were out and there are people milling about that don't make a traveler feel comfortable. While there, two cars were broken into. Someone else mentioned another break in within the last month. Breakfast was only okay. You get the feeling that this hotel is being run on a shoe-string budget.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank cassieskye
joeybarber
Reviewed September 5, 2008

We were there for (2 days) a soccer tournament. Thumbs Ups to the Front Desk Mgr. who was very helpful and went out of her way for a problem that arose when I was in need of a fax. The eating area as well as breakfast was not what I had expected. The pillows were very flat and uncomfortable.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank joeybarber
Ft. Worth
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I used a free points night to stay here while my kids were playing in a tennis tournament in nearby Cedar Park.

I reserved my room about a month before the tournament, my kids team reserved their rooms the week of the tournament. When I checked in, I was told there were "no rooms on the bottom floor available when you made your reservations". I told the front desk person I knew this was not true because my group had just made reservations that week and had about 8 rooms on the bottom floor. He wasn't able to give me any answer.....While I didn't mind being on a different floor, the part that irritated me was that I was lied to.

The beds were comfy, the bathrooms were big, the tub was amazing. Plenty of room to relax in! There were only 2 of us in the room, so there were plenty of towels.

They did have high speed internet in the room, but it wasn't wireless. You had to have an ethernet cable to hook up to it, and of course the cable was missing from my room. I called the front desk and they ran one up to me within 3 minutes.

When it came time to check out, the hotel was having water issues. On the second floor, some of the guests were reporting water coming out of the fixtures and it was all over the carpet. Guests on the first floor were reporting it coming down off their ceilings. Guests in the lobby having breakfast were joking about "how was your swim this morning?" and having to swim to each others rooms. I was thanking my lucky stars it was on the other end of the building from where I was!

My room, along with the group I was with, all had rooms on the back side. This wasn't an issue if you were with a group, but there were a few times I was walking by myself to or from my car and felt a little concerned about my surroundings. There were several cable TV installers also staying at the hotel, and I just didn't feel 100% comfortable with them hanging out in the parking lot.

There is an elevator in the hotel, and back entrances are locked 24 hours and you have to use your room key for admittance.

Hotel is right on I 35, easy access with an IHOP right next door.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank rottendog
Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2008

This is an average La Quinta. Parking can be a bit dangerous sometimes there are rough characters around. The tub is terrific! It's huge. The hotel for it's age is very clean. The lady that fixes breakfest is such a sweet grandmotherly type. I was late one morning and she waited and fix a waffle for me. I come back to this hotel just because of her even thought there is a nice, new La Quinta just down the road.

• Liked — tub, breakfast
  • Disliked — security in parking lot
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 6, 2008

This is one of two La Quinta properties in Round Rock. The other one (Round Rock South) is much newer and in better condition and is the one to choose if you have a choice. This one (round Rock North) has a nice enough design with a small pool and jacuzzi and a weight room with Sauna ( the Sauna was inoperative and full of dirt) Unfortunately the management ahs allowed it to become dirty and threadbare. The first room I was given was water damaged with active leaks from the room above and a strong smell of mildew. I was relocated to another room which was more or less adequate. For some reason the housekeeping staff was on a work slow down. My room was skipped two of the four days I stayed and on the other two they did not arrive until 5pm in the afternoon even though the room had been available to clean since 9 in the morning. The La Quinta package with breakfast and free Internet is normally an attractive one and a good value. This property however is disheveled,dirty, and not ready for prime time, something management and staff seem completely indifferent to. The la Quinta two exits down I 35 is about 10 bucks a night more costly but well worth it.

• Liked — Convinient Location, free internet
  • Disliked — Poorly maintained, disheviled and dirty.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MizunguhowRU?