“Best Kept Secret in the Metroplex” 5 of 5 bubbles

Oar House
Ranked #6 of 173 Restaurants in Rockwall
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Greenbank, Washington
“Best Kept Secret in the Metroplex”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Oar House, in Rockwall, first exit east after the lake, has the most wonderful assortment of superb meals. Each time we are in town we go there to meet friends for lunch as well as dinner.
Mostly vegan, we make an exception and have the steak with cognac sauce for me, with peppercorns for my husband.
We enjoy the lunch menus with their Caesar Salad at the top of the list as well as a creamy soup that has mussels in it. I can't think of the name, it's been almost 2 months since we were last there.
Several of the waitstaff have been there for many years, which, to me, speaks well of the management and chef, who keeps going up with more wonderful dishes. If you like lamb, you will be most happy.
The decor is most unique, giving the name of the restaurant meaning. There is live light jazz several evenings each week.
It is our favorite restaurant in Texas

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Jelcy

royse city tx
“always a delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We've been there at least a dozen times for lunch,and always had a wonderfull time
The food is cooked to order(never frozen)and I have orded Pasta with clams that was the best I have ever had,and its not even on the lunch menu,the decor is warm as are the staff.
The prices are a little high, but not for the quality as with all things "you get what you pay for"
I hope to make it there for dinner service someday,although the lunch menu is limited,the food is outstanding

• Visited May 2012
Forney
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

I took my wife and sister-in-law to the Oar House's Mother's Day Brunch Buffet and was outraged. Being patrons of the Oar House, we have enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. Not today. The food was fine but the prices for the Mimosa's was outragous. $9.00 per glass when half is orange juice and the other half is an inexpensive wine, we had 2 each. No menu was provided so I assumed a Mother's Day mimosa would be included with the brunch (at least one per person). Then an 18% gratuity included. I normally tip very well but I don't like having the tip included. We knew the price of the brunch but when the bill arrived, I went back to the waitress telling her she gave me the wrong bill. She reviewed it and confirmed that it was indeed my bill. The brunch price was $29.95 per person but the total cost was $180. We won't be returning to the Oar House restaurant after this unforgettable experience.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank William H
Rowlett, Texas
“Not The Same”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

This has been my favorite restaurant for years but I was sorely disappointed last friday night. We went rather early and the restaurant was fairly empty but the service was slow and not what we were accustomed to here. We ordered mussels that were resting in a strongly flavored tomato puree which overwhelmed the mussels completely. My fish was described including capers and olives with roma tomatoes but the fish was covered with what appeared to be the same red sauce that was under the mussels and it again overpowered everything else. Even capers and calamata olives! One of our group complained that his fish was so tough he had to use a knife. One person ordered the filet and he really enjoyed it so all was not lost. Overall, it just didn't live up to our previous visits and, for $150 per couple, it was far too expensive for what we received. I don't mind spending money on excellent food and service but when 6 out of the 8 in our party didn't really enjoy their meal, it kinda makes me feel ripped off. I'm not saying don't try this place and it might have been a very "off" night for them but I suggest some caution, especially for a special night out.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marie111
Tampa, Florida
“When good restaurants go bad.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

It is amazing how changing management or ownership can destroy a decent restaurant. Everyone that I spoke to who had eaten here before said that it was fantastic. This restaurant is the opposite of fantastic. Everything about the evening was poorly done.
-Our large group was shoved into a corner booth of a mostly empty restaurant so that if any one person moved it knocked everyone else out of their chairs.
-The waiter was absolutely clueless about the menu and could not and would not answer our questions.
-I am pretty darn sure that the Snapper that I ordered was Tilapia and but then again it was so overcooked that it could have been pork. You really should not have to cut fish with a knife.
-The Tiramisu ordered for desert was still frozen.
An absolutely horrendous experience that was amplified by the waiter having the audacity to add in a 20% tip. I cannot recommend this dump and will not return.

• Visited March 2012