“We'll try it again”

The Fatted Calf
Ranked #6 of 181 Restaurants in Rockwall
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Chef Ted Grieb has taken his talent to a new level ! The Fatted Calf, on the square in downtown Rockwall, specializes in "Down Home Chic" food at a reasonable price. Formerly Old Timers, the Fatted Calf is a comfortable, upscale restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner Tuesday through Sunday. Special dinners and evening events take place throughout the year. Daily specials are offered and feature only the freshest, seasonal ingredients. The genesis of the restaurant came from the need for a high quality, comfortable dining establishment in Rockwall. Ted was raised by his mother (a great cook) and father (a great fisherman) in southern New Jersey where he developed a love for farm fresh food, freshly caught seafood and large portions! Everyone in the family has a love for food, including his sister Beth who makes the jams, pastries and desserts for the restaurant. Chef Ted has made his home in Rockwall with his wife, two adorable daughters, four crazy dogs and three friendly cows. Manager Blake Kirk is always available to help you find a table or place an order! They have both been essential in the opening and management of The Fatted Calf. They and the staff at the Fatted Calf aim to please and will always greet you with a smile. Shoreline Restaurant Corp., The owners of Culpepper's and The Oar House as well, saw the talent of Chef Ted and the opportunity to take The Fatted Calf to a new level. The Fatted Calf moniker refers to the daily celebration to be had at the restaurant, where friends and family can meet for a quick bite or an extended stay. Come check out our beautiful new look and our fabulous bar. Happy Hour and dinner will be a must !
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Local favorite for many, and the menu is creative~ I'm not a restaurant complainer, BUT, on our last visit, we had to ask for
-silverware
-coffee refill
-water refill
-aujus for a French Dip sandwich (and she looked at me like that was an odd request)
-waited forever for the check

I just want this place to be fabulous, because we need great restaurants in our area- but this was not a great visit. Prices are a little high for service not to match. Giving a very good rating just because I know they can be

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

The biscuit sliders and the the Alamo were both good breakfast choices. We finished with the pecan sticky roll and it was delicious. We will definitely go back to try dinner.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We had the omelet and I had the waffle with ham. She loved the strawberry preserves and ate some of my ham bc it was so good. We both agreed that Jarron was a great waiter. I had the best breakfast date with my LTG, Holly Elizabeth.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Love the atmosphere! I had the Taylor Pork Roll while my friend ordered the waffles. Good but the waffles were cold . Coffee was very good.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

be wanting to try it and finally did .. we will go back , true potato fries among good eats in everything we tried.... serve was good .. so what else you need ... just a little pricey but it was good --- i paid a lot for a crappy steak at another rockwall houbor eatry last week .. wont happen here i dont think ...