“Sushi is ok...turn down the music!”
Review of Sushi Saikou - CLOSED

Sushi Saikou
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Brand new, only been open for 3 weeks.
Dallas, Texas
“Sushi is ok...turn down the music!”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

It seems like this place is lacking oversight from management or the management doesn't care. The food is good for the price and that is what keeps us coming back but definitely wasn't impressed this last time. It was peak dinner time and the service was slow and we couldn't hear ourselves talk because they had the music so loud. One table moved to behind the wall and finally we asked if they could turn it down, which they did but the server even asked, "what did you say?" because he couldn't hear me.

Hopefully the service gets better and this place last in the Harbor. It's nice to have other options besides Mexican/Latin food in the Harbor.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Mike A

Rockwall, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best I have had in years”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

Sushi enthusiast for years, however after years of seeing the art of sushi be neglected by restaurants I started looking into different cuisines. While at the harbor Friday night I noticed this new place “Sushi Saikou”. The outside patio seemed pleasant and inviting as a true sushi lover I decided to try it. The food is short to say excellent. I had two rolls the Cancun which was wrapped in masago caviar topped with sweet strawberries and kiwis. The inside was composed of tempura fried shrimp just enough to satisfy my sweet side and yet stay true to Sushi. My second choice was the Samurai roll I decided to try it because of its combination of tunas. All complimented each other perfectly in a saikou spicy sauce just wonderful. I am delighted to have found this place the service was excellent she pointed out so many different things for me. The menu has combinations of sushi , tempura and sunomonos that I have not seen in years on one same menu. The atmosphere was the perfect for a Friday night my love for sushi has always been there, now I’m ecstatic that I found a place that shares my love.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank danielle m
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sushi psycho”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Went by sushi saikou to try it out and I wish I hadn't. I'm hooked on this place the food is great .!!!!! first round spicy tuna tower drizzles in creamy wasabi spicyyyyyy. My server prepared it for me and I felt I had 5 star service. Followed the tower by a saikou roll with eel out of this world. I was offered tea and decided to try hot green tea . The tea was hot surprisingly ( everywhere else I go I ask for HoT tea and get it warm ) the experience was awsome the server was not Japanese and could however discribe All the traditional dishes for me even SUKIYAKI udon. This place is great only downfall I crave sushi week round .

1 Thank Pphotography
texas
“Excellent Food UPDATE on new location”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Pros:
Got a reservation for five no problem on a Friday night. The food was awesome as usual. I am not new to sushi and this is the best place in town and then some. I loved the Dallas roll and the Ginger Salad. The sushi is always fresh and melts in my mouth. The menu was a bit confusing. My friends who had never tried sushi needed lots of help. I think some vocab. on the menu would help so the waitress would not have to stand and explain for 15 minutes. My friends loved what they ordered to. Looks like we are making it a regular meet for us now.

Cons:
First time visiting this new location in The Harbor since being at the strip mall.
I preferred the strip mall location better. The decor in the new location is very tacky and much less casual. Slightly uncomfortable and cheap. It feels like I am eating at a seaside fried seafood shack. I was surprised when I took my friends there for a nice dinner. I would not bring someone there for a romantic or quiet evening (I would have at the old location!). There were quite a few of well known Rockwall people there and it did not seem to bother them. People go to the The Harbor expect slightly nicer more modern restaurants. Where was management? No one asked us how our food was or checked on us besides the waitress that was not that great (she did not know what Roe was).

• Visited February 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Bland”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Was really excited to hear of a new sushi restaurant at the harbor. A bite into our rolls however and we knew we made a mistake with this place. The rolls were overpowered with a mayo cream cheese that overtook everything else. We also found ourselves having to dig through the roll to find any shrimp within the roll .