“I wouldn't do it again.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bayfront Cottages

Bayfront Cottages
Gonzales, Texas
“I wouldn't do it again.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

The location is good, the pool was adequate and the exterior of the buildings is generally neat and tidy. The large covered pavilion with tables was nice for a bigger group. BUT the rooms were not clean. They have fresh paint but are quite run down. In one bathroom, HOT water came out of the faucet immediately when the right-side handle was turned. That is very dangerous! Fridges were rusty, towels were clean but small and very rough. Hotel website rates do not match reservation website. I did not go in expecting fancy, but was disappointed with dirty and unkempt. Staff was not very friendly.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank vsb58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband, 17 year old son and I came for 4 days after the 4th of July weekend. The website states that the kitchens are NOT furnished so we brought our own stuff. I felt that we got a great value for our money. We stayed in the 2 queen bed with kitchenette #16. It was clean, fresh white towells and soap with shampoo/conditioner packets. We had everything we needed. When we checked in, the office was locked and I had to call to get the manager's son to check us in. He was doing laundry for the rooms and apologized for the delay. At this time, the manager's family is doing housekeeping and they do a good job of keeping up with everything even with the reluctance of the owner to invest what is needed to really upgrade the property. This little place could be a gold mine with some TLC. The managers do a fine job and are fine folks. Their son checked on us each day to see what we needed. I read reviews here about bugs and odor. We only saw a liitle dead roach when we got here and the 2nd day the pest control guy was spraying on the property before guests came back from fishing. The room smelled clean. There was free coffee in the office, which I appreciated. We had a lovely stay and would come back again!

• Stayed July 2014
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Friendly and very courteous front desk staff (Mike), Property was very clean, my wife and six year daughter enjoyed the clean pool within close proximity to our room. Room set-up was very clean. The efficiency size living room came with a with a very cold A.C. unit, a comfy couch that folded out into a extra bed and wall mounted flat screen T.V. The kitchen which in attached to the living room had a great working gas stove, updated refrigerator, and a micro-wave. There was also a small table separating the living room from the kitchen which seats about four people. The kitchen and the living had ceramic tile which is great. The bedroom included two clean queen size beds with comfy sheets/comforters and soft fluffy pillows. Good size closets were also available and a wall mounted flat screen T.V. The bedroom also had it's own separate wall mounted A.C. unit which can be adjusted to your desired temperature...COLD!

Directly across the street you had your own fishing pier which can be accessed 24 hours a day. We had plenty of space to fish...caught some big ones here. Less than 20 yards away from our own fishing pier we had a bait shop which supplied us with all out bait for our whole trip. Very nice Asian family who had reasonable prices. They usually stay open until about 11p.m.

The other tenants we meet were all there with their own families and were very friendly. They always asked us if we caught and thing and shared fish stories. Even gave us some of the bait and fish they didn't want to clean. We BBQ every night on our outside patio which faced directly across the pier. We were able to ice down some adult beverages and drinks for the kiddos. Each night we stayed we grilled fajitas, fish, shrimp, chicken, hamburgers/hotdogs with our own grill that we brought. The adults stayed up laughing and drinking until the wee hours of the night.

My wife was kind of reluctant at first to go because she thought it would be a fishing retreat but with kids. I promised her we would go to the beach with my girls 6 yrs. old & 10 months old. We drove to Fulton Beach less than 10 minutes away and had a time of our lives. We all have lived in Texas all our lives and never been to a beach because we heard the beaches were dirty with seaweed and covered with poisonous jellyfish. That totally wasn't true saw two jellyfish outside of the water and did not have to fuse with any seaweed. We even walked super far out into the water which had sandbars that allowed you to stand up without being knocked over by the heavy surf. My daughters were thrilled about being in the water that far.

Plenty of food places in the area. Definitely recommend this place to anyone with our without kids!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms near the roadway entrance. This allows you to have a large patio for BBQ's and...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Blueman1196
San Marcos, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed here for a quick trip for my son's birthday. The location seemed great, across from the bay with a fishing pier and close to Fulton pier. The hotel really does have potential and I really wish the owners would put a little more effort into keeping it up.
We stayed in cottage #1. When we walked in, the odor was horrible. It smelled like rotten fish. We ended up going to WalMart and buying Febreeze to help with the odor. We also had ants. The walls had handprints on them. We weren't to sure if the bed linen was clean and the beds were poorly made. The mattresses did not have mattress covers on them.Room decor really needs to be updated-think modern garage sale. We got fresh towels on the last day we were there and we were there for a total of three days. Beds never got made or changed, unless I did it myself. The pool was small and on our second day, had broken glass on the sides.
The good thing was that it was quite. We never heard anyone else.
If the current owners would put in a lot more effort than what they've been doing, it would be a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank christi l

Travelers are raving about these Rockport hotels

Richardson tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I love this place . I have been going there since the late 80s and I like room 2. Big and comfy perfect for family and friends. It is owned by Mr. B and him and the staff keep the place in tip top order. I was always supplied with fresh towels and room was kept up. It has had some reverb since last years visit.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank caballomentirozo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Property management and maintenance has gotten worse since our last visit. The “NO REFUND” policy has become their solution to every complaint. Rooms had dirty linen, dirty towels, dirty floors, dirty appliances, rusty refrigerator, beds were not made prior to checking in, cracked double pane windows, patched unpainted walls, missing wall outlets, empty wall socket holes on the wall, nonfunctioning light switches, and door that would not lock properly. We repeatedly reminded staff of needing clean towels, toiletries, to have trash removed and to have room cleaned daily. Room was infested with roaches. Outdoor patio was dirty with trash and debris and overflowing smelly trash cans that needed to be emptied. Although property management lives on the premises and sets curfew on outdoor patio usage according to their needs secure your personal property. We lost a fishing pole and an ice cooler when we left it outside of our room. Not returning until owners address what is going on with their property along with code compliance. Bad property management!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Kim G
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed at these cottages for years and never had any problems... Up until new "management" took over. I am absolutely disgusted with the rooms and serviced provided. I'll try to keep this short, but with a wasted vacation week there is a lot to say. My family rented 7 rooms and we are all disappointed. My room alone smelled like wet dog, was infested with roaches, had uncut boards sticking out of the bottom of the bed that I repeatedly kept scraping my leg on, and had mold on the inside of the bathroom door. I have an 8 month old and I couldn't bare to turn my back on her for 1 second in this place, especially after I saw a roach crawling up her play pen after I had just taken her out. Two other rooms of ours had broken windows, another had to make up their own bed upon arrival as the sheets were on the table. We had to clean our rooms and request clean towels EVERYDAY as they "do not have maids". We even had to mop up our rooms ourselves and buy our own cleaning supplies. This isn't the worst part.. We dealt with this without saying anything bc of the numerous times we've been there. My family would like to get together at night since it was really hot during the day.. Apparently there was a curfew we were never told about because a worker that lives in a small trailer near by asked us to quiet down. (Again, we've stayed here for years and were never told anything.) We were under in the pavilion in the rear of the cottages. We rented all the back rooms so we assumed we weren't that loud. After asking us to quiet down, he just sat there and watched us feet away all night (very uncomfortable). The following afternoon, the wife of the manager banged on two of our doors and yelled saying she would call the cops on us if it happened again. Again, yelled, very unprofessional. We had no prior warning so we were appalled with the animosity. So we brought to attention all of the problems with the rooms and service and she pretty much said if we stopped being so dirty and kept up after ourselves there wouldn't be roaches!! Absolutely unbelievable! This confrontation ruined the rest of our vacation. Even after speaking to the actual manager, he even admitted she did not handle this in the right manner. I will not EVER go back if they continue to manage!!!!

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Deanna O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
Lighthouse Inn at Aransas Bay
Inn At Fulton Harbor
Inn At Fulton Harbor
#1 of 4 in Fulton
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rockport / Bay View
La Quinta Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton
Econo Lodge Inn by the Bay

Been to Bayfront Cottages? Share your experiences!