“Pleasant Stay”

Hunt's Castle Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed March 17, 2011

We stayed at Hunt's Castle for Spring Break, it is a family oriented place. The staff was very friendly and helpful.Great view of the bay. Very Pet friendly. Thanks for such a pleasant stay and we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed March 16, 2011

Room was old and not well maintained. We had a two-room suite with view of ocean. The faucet in the tub only ran hot water and no one came to even look at it after we called it in. You had to fill the tub and then wait for 20 minutes for it to cool. Several lights were burned out and not replaced in lamps, ceiling fans, and over the range. The only "housekeeping" was that they brought clean towels, took the used towels, and emptied the trash. If you like a clean floor, bring your own vacuum cleaner. If you want sinks cleaned, bring your own cleaning supplies. Staff told us it was the policy of the new owner. Staff in office was a plus - very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gordlafsky
Reviewed March 6, 2011

I am a very easy going guy. I'm not demanding, I don't have kids that I expect to be treated like kings and queens and I don't call the front desk for every little light bulb that's out on a pier.
However, i am a hardworking american who knows good value and appreciates good service. This place is passable, in a pinch. Which is why ended up staying here. All of the other hotels/motels were booked solid. This was Oysterfest weekend afterall. And boy, do they make sure you don't forget it. Prices were jacked up for the weekend. Hey, go for it, this is america afterall, and if you can make a quick buck, so be it.
Let me start off by saying, I am a former resident of Rockport from back in the mid nineties. When I believe, Hunt's was built. I worked as a medic there and figured, I never picked anybody up who OD'd or died there, so how bad could it be? Right?
My girlfriend and I went down there for a wedding and were at fault for not calling sooner to make a reservation at where we really wanted to stay. Hunt's had the only rooms available.
When I calle d to make the reservation, the clerk was very friendly and made me feel welcomed. My first clue to the poor condition and meager ammenities was at the front entrance. There was a sign that read : rooms for $59 a night. below that was written, free wireless. below that, in smaller letters : In some rooms. Hmmmmmmm..
The next tip off was the huge sign on the front office door that read: Payment expected in advance. I should have cancelled my room but they have a 72 hour cancelation policy during festival weekends. (wow)
The front clerk, Shirley, was very friendly, curteous and helpful. We liked her. We're given out key and then headed up to our room. We were lucky enough to be on the 3rd floor with a "waterfront view". Which, as the reservation guy clearly pointed out, was different than an ocean view. T's cool man, i can read between the lines. (read; you have to step out and look to the left)
The hotel is not in the best condition. I'd call it a 5 on a 1-10 scale. 10 being the Ritz and 1 being the crackhouse that was across the street. The room was in pretty bad condition. The sink in the bathrrom was made out of some unpolished stone that had a crack in it from front to back that someone haphazardly tried to patch with caulk. If you let the sink fill up past the halfway mark, it leaked in the cabinet. (Ouch). The decor is straight out of 1995. There was an exposed, albiet pleasantly painted, pipe in the room. We had a suite. And, yes there was carpeting in the room. The front living room, however, was completely tiled. With two different styles. You can see it in their photos. Not sure what the point of that was. Tacky. But they were clean, nonetheless.
The beds were passable and smelled clean. Linens looked and smelled clean.
The appliances were all in working order. No rust or musty smell. The TV's worked, but were kinda old. C'mon, it's 2011. But hey, the cable worked.
The AC was not of adequate size to cool the room off. I'd hate to stay here in August.
The ceiling fans were a little dusty and made in 1996. (I know, I checked). The worst part was when we were going to put our clothes away. There were 5 dead crickets in the drawers. I didn't tell my girlfriend or else she would have freaked.
There were absolutely no ammenities in this place. No hair dryer, no iron, ironing board, or internet in the room. And don't even get me started on the towels. Scratchy scratchy, scratchy. Suppose it deters people from stealing them.
To surmise, definately not worth the price. $120 p/night. Let's just say, I'll mark this one off my bucket list.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed December 15, 2010

Thank you for always making our weekend getaways so relaxing. We love the awesome views, great fishing pier, comfortable rooms, hassle free boat parking, and friendly staff. Our golden retriever, Chloe, loves it too! Hunt's Castle has become our home away from home in Rockport.

Arthur & Tammy
San Antonio, TX

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I stay at Hunts several times a year. The rooms are nice and clean and well maintained. The staff is always friendly and they have morning coffee and donuts in the lobby. It is extremely relaxing to sit in the rocking chairs located outside all the rooms and watch the bay. The pier has great night fishing with lights. It is on a nice paved hike/bike trail along the waterfront. It is the best value in the Rockport.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2010

We arrived after midnight and the night person was nice enough to give us his number so we could call him when we were ten minutes out and he met us there so we didn't have to wait. We stayed in one of the rooms on the side closer to the water and it was a great view to wake up to. The room had a king size bed and bunk beds with a full on the bottom. It was very comfortable for five of us and a dog, better than larger rooms we've stayed in that weren't laid out so well. It had a full size fridge which was a nice surprise and regular size dining room table as well. Waking up and walking on the pier or sitting in their great rocking chairs was so relaxing. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 3, 2010

Hey folks ! If you're lookin for the Ritz, this isnt it. But we just got back from a week stay there and we were very, very pleased. My son and I went the week of thanksgiving for a week of fishing. The staff was wonderful. The room was a good bargain for the area and the location was exceptional. We enjoyed it so much that we are considering making this an annual outing and we met others there that come back every year. They even mailed us a cell phone that my son forgot in the room ! My hats off to everyone there ! Thanks
Kevin King, Little Rock, AR

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rockport / Bay View
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Rockport
Best Western Ingleside
Best Western Ingleside
#3 of 5 in Ingleside
Lighthouse Inn at Aransas Bay

Been to Hunt's Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!