“I initially was going to give a "Very Good" rating but....”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Mermaids of Rockport - CLOSED

Mermaids of Rockport
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Open for dinner, featuring a fresh local fine dining, Gourmet burgers and daily featured items. Come here to enjoy a relaxed dinner. Fresh local seafood, Baja style tacos, gourmet burgers, and prime steaks. Feel free to bring the kids enjoy live music on weekends. Until we are in our new permanent location we are BYOB!
San Antonio, Texas
“I initially was going to give a "Very Good" rating but....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

My husband and I took my sister to Rockport to experience the Texas beaches. We were hungry for dinner after a day out on the water and I saw that Tripadvisor gave it very good reviews. I called, made reservations and even asked if Brian would be playing that night. They said he would.

When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised at the interior décor, as the outside is very forgettable. It was gleaming nautical and very cozy. The beginning went well, the appetizers came out and we placed out dinner order.....and waited.....and waited....AND WAITED. It took over an hour to make grilled shrimp (which takes literally 3-4 minutes to cook), sushi (no explanation here) and some pulled pork quesadillas.

The server was very apologetic and was attentive, but even they can only do so much, but I did appreciate his efforts.

To make matters worse, when the food came it was minute and disappointing. My husband's "pulled pork" quesadillas were a joke. It was dinner and he got literally got a quesadilla the size of one tortilla and I have no idea where the pulled pork was.

My shrimp were well cooked but only came with a spoonful of grits. Again, this was dinner.

The watermelon crab salad was about 90% watermelon, 5% crab and 5% "other".

So disappointed. It had so much potential. Will never go back.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Lv2rdtrip

Austin, Texas
“Awesome Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

We loved the place for dinner so much we came back for lunch two days later. The ribeye steak has fabulous flavor and is HUGE. Also love the steak sliders with really good freshly made potato salad. The owners and staff made us feel very welcome. The only possible downside is the wait for food - you will not get in and out quickly, but we were enjoying ourselves so much we didn't care. Great selection of wine and beer and her bread pudding is delicious!

1 Thank Jean L
Austin, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sushi in Rockport AND Corpus!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

The sushi is terrific and the service was great. They make you feel like family with their genuine kindness and attitude. Even the soy sauce was perfected with jalapeños. I recommend the pepper dragon roll, delicious!

Visited June 2014
“Not as pleased as previous reviewers”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

We ate at Mermaids last night for the first time. I am disappointed to say my review is not as positive as previous reviews. Everyone had grilled shrimp which were over cooked. The baked avocado was nothing special but the sauce was delicious. Now about the service--very disappointed. We ordered drinks prior to the meal. The drinks were served one at a time and the first one was served about 10 minutes after we ordered. My margarita was very strong which probably is a good thing. However I sent it back and asked for more mix to dilute it somewhat. The bartender filled my glass with water! The food service was mediocre with a lot of "I don't know" to which we responded "would you find out?" I hope Mermaids survives but some things must improve.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank carjac21
Fulton, TX
“Now there are three”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Now there are three restaurants in Rockport where you can get a quality dinner without driving to Corpus and without spending your whole week's entertainment budget.. In a town where they roll up the sidewalks early, it is nice to have somewhere you can eat a later meal. They are open until 11PM and serve until 9PM.
What once was a cigar shop is now a cozy restaurant with fresh food (everything made on premises), a caring staff and great coffee. I mention the coffee because I was the only one in our party of 10 who ordered it at first, but when others smelled its great aroma more orders were forthcoming.
The appetizers are large enough to suffice for a luncheon meal. I had a watermelon, crab and feta cheese salad which more than filled me so that I had no room for the desserts that others in our group ordered and pronounced as excellent.
The person who ordered the Black and Blue waited quite a while for her meal. It seems the chef decided she had cooked the meat a little too well for it to be medium as ordered and would not serve it that way. She started all over to get it perfect. Meanwhile my friend was presented with a cucumber and crab dish to eat while waiting.
All in all, a very pleasant experience.

• Visited June 2014