“#1 Restaurant in Rockport? Not in our book...”
Review of La Luna Cafe - CLOSED

La Luna Cafe
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2011

My husband and our two daughters were excited to have lunch at La Luna, given the reviews on Trip Advisor. We arrived and ordered at 1:40pm. 1 hour and 10 minutes later, we finally received our food. We had no idea why it took so long, because no one would acknowledge us during this hour plus wait for our entrees. We're actually pretty patient about this kind of thing, if an employee will just come over and explain. Their solution to the long wait time was too avoid eye contact with the patrons. A customer behind us complained to the waitress, and her response was "it's not fast food." That's an understatement. When we finally got our food, there was no apology - nothing. The food was pretty good (quesadillas were excellent), but by that time, the meal was ruined. We won't be back.

1  Thank laketravishill

Reviewed April 22, 2011

My husband and I were greatly looking forward to taking my parents and our 3 year old son to La Luna after reading the wonderful reviews. So, imagine our confusion when we walked into the restaurant and the wait staff looked right at us and said nothing. No one acknowledged our presence. Not a smile, head nod, or greeting of any kind was rendered. After awkwardly standing at the entrance not knowing what to do, we chose to seat ourselves so that my elderly parents could rest. There were plenty of open tables. We waited….and waited….and waited. My husband got menus for us from a vacant table, and still no one greeted us. The waitress clearly saw us. We were a party of five, and there were only 9 other patrons. My 3 year old son asked with a quizzical expression “Mommy, why won’t anyone help us. I’m thirsty. Do you think they will give us some water?” At that point, my family decided to take our hard earned dollars to another establishment and walked out. We are proud to be Texans, and the ignorant manner of the wait-staff in this eatery is inconsistent with the friendliness and hospitality that we are accustomed to enjoying from other establishments in this great state. Perhaps the #1 Trip advisor rating got to someone’s head and caused the service at La Luna to be a bit loco. Such a pity!

LaLuna2010, Owner at La Luna Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2011

We at La Luna apologize for any confusion about our service. Being in the downtown area, we have quite a few people who do just come in to sit a spell to cool off and wait while others in their party are out shopping. We do not have a wait staff and we have three signs stating that customers are to place their orders at the counter where the menu board can be found. There is a sign on the front door, one as you first enter and one hanging from the ceiling with an arrow. We take your order at the counter and we bring the food to you when it is ready. Like Jason's Deli and a few other establishments. We do have a few paper menus for those who wish to sit and look over the menu, but then they come to the counter to place their orders when they are ready. Again, we apologize for any confusion.

Reviewed April 16, 2011

I dined in at La Luna on a Saturday, just me and my 7 month old son in his stroller. I orderd the La Luna Club Sandwich, which came with kettle chips and a side (I got potato salad) and an iced tea. The burgers looked fantastic, but I wanted something smaller. The club was great, though maybe a little messy (but I don't normally order clubs so maybe they're always like this). It wasn't anything a couple of napkins couldn't remedy. The potato salad was interesting. It wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't bad either. I think most people would probably like it, but the capers (?) kinda threw me off. The iced tea was very delicious. The whole thing only cost me like $9, and it was more food than I could finish. The service was great, even the customers are extremely friendly. The decor is a little bit cheesy, but maybe the kitsch factor is what they're going for. The furnishings are pretty classy though. I'd recommend this place! Maybe we'll go back later in our trip for the burgers.

Reviewed April 3, 2011

Stopped in on my sister's rec while visiting in March 2011. We returned for lunch the following day and the next. It's that good, and far more than you'd expect for a town this size. Great burgers, soups, salads, sandwiches, nuevo Mexican, etc... The fish sandwich is superb! Cute porch for outside dining, particularly nice if you have a little one.

Reviewed March 27, 2011

We went in skeptical Saturday night because the first three reviews were glowing. We met David (chef) when we walked through the door and immediately liked him. He is passionate about food and it really shows in the food. This place is awesome.

Boutique restaurants are about small but fantastic menus filled with fresh food and unique tastes. La Luna fits the bill. We at the entire appetizer menu and then shared the fish tacos, brat and spaghetti. The only tweek I'd make is add something like a mango/jabenero salso to the fish tacos.

We came right back today for brunch...not much more to say than that.

The service is wonderful, the food is wonderful, the prices are very reasonable. Three adults and two kids last night ($67+tip).

BYOB lets us bring our own wine. The staff was awesome with our boys (especially David who has his own).

We're back down in two weeks and will be there Friday night when we get in.

Having another place we like besides Los Comales, Latitude 28 and Poor Man's Country Club will make for another great year in Rockport.