“Don't let the motel appearance fool you!”

Surfside Inn Suites
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Rockport
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We spent four nights last week at the Surfside Inn and Suites in Rockport. When we go to this part of the Texas coast, we usually stay in Port Aransas. But, since this was in the summer, and not the Fall season when we usually travel, we decided to not spend the money on the over-priced rooms in Port A, so I found this place after a search on the 'net.

We got a King bed room with a Kitchen for 69.00 a nite plus tax, and one of these nights was a Friday night, so we paid only 20 extra for the weekend rate.

The motel appearance can be deceiving. The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. The A/C worked very well, and we were impressed by how well appointed the room was.

The pool was cool and clean, and the fishing dock is new and alot of fun to fish from. They put some thought into it's construction to make it very fishing-friendly. The part of the bay (Little Bay) that it is located has some great fishing and we even saw a dolphin at night within just a few feet of the pier. The entire pier is very well lit with some high intensity lights that shine into the bay to help attract the bait fish the bigger fish feed on.

It may look like a cheap motel, but it is what it is - a clean comfortable room at a very fair price with a friendly staff in a quiet corner of a usually quiet sea town. We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank pacman76706

Reviewed May 21, 2011

I was so impressed with this location and most especially noticed how quiet the motel was. Usually when in a motel where there is a lot of activity, you can hear the people coming and going in the rooms next door. Sometimes I can even hear their conversations through the walls. NOT THE CASE at Surfside Inn Suites. Our friends were staying in the room next door so I knew for certain it was occupied but we never, ever heard them. Neither did we hear people in the pool right outside our door. The loudest thing was the air conditioner which was a little bit frustrating but a very typical motel air conditioner so nothing to diminish the rating.

The room attendants were very courteous, friendly, and efficient. The pier across from the hotel was beautiful. Well lit and sturdy it felt very safe to be on with my active five year old. The shower was very nice. I also liked the lighting in the room, there were lots of lighting options so people could sleep in or nap while others got dressed or read.

Their pricing seems a bit backwards - 1 king is cheaper than 2 queens which really look more like doubles. We paid $5 extra for the kitchenette which allowed me to bring oatmeal, hot dogs, and soup for breakfasts and lunches. I knew we'd have a microwave and a refrigerator. I was very surprised to find a two burner cook top (pans not provided) and a separate "kitchen" sink apart from the bathroom sink. Had we been staying longer I would have cooked some dinners in as well.

The outside is still a bit run down but you can tell they've been working hard to update the inside. It looks like they will get to the out side remodel soon enough. Plus, show me a facility on the water that doesn't take some abuse from the weather and have the scars to show for it.

Room Tip: Call for prices - website list incomplete
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank wbfgolla
Reviewed May 6, 2011

Kudos to the Surfside Inn, they take great pride in revitalizing one of Rockport's waterfront motel's. Each time we visit something is new. The rooms have been renovated over the past several years. Most recently they have rebuilt the fishing pier. I have visited Rockport for many years and the Surfside Inn continues to move up on my favorties' list. It is an excellent value for the location and great fishing. Our 7 year old son loves it. We able to have wonderful a family experience here at an affordable price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank RQCBTrip
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My family has been coming here for a couple of years now and we try and come @ least 2 times a year. The entire staff is helpful and friendly, the fishing pier just got rebuilt and it is better then ever. If you love to fish their pier is the best place. The location of Surfside is just down the road from Rockport beach. speaking for myself and my family we LOVE this place and can't wait for our next trip in a couple of months.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank emailduh
Reviewed April 5, 2011

I went to Rockport with my partner and we shopped around for hotels and this was by far the best for the value. It was clean, the manager was very nice and allowed pets. The fishing pier was great and the view was lovely. The only complaint is that the walls were pretty thin, other than that, there were no problems. We will definatley be going back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Rooms are clean, but dreary, furniture is shabby. All pet rooms are smoking rooms and ours REEKED of cigarette smoke. Clothes smelled from just being in the room a short time. After seeing how poorly the room looked and smelled- we were not going to stay. Per manager would still have had to pay for one night. Ended up staying due to it being Spring Break and difficulty finding another place. Upon arrival found out pet fee was 15.00 per day per animal! upon checking other places--this is one of the highest in the area. Charged additional online booking fee by hotel. Room did not look like any of the pictures on their site. Sign in front of hotel says" newly remodeled", but sure don't know were those rooms were. Wish I had taken pics to post.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank prandnh
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed here with family for three nights and it was not what I was expecting. After reading these posts and hearing word of mouth, I thought this place was going to be wonderful. To me, it was okay. The family that owns it is very nice and helpful.

Location: Great fishing pier that they are re-building
Rooms: The carpet was dirty and there were lots of bugs (dead and alive) everyday, also the rooms smelled of either mildew or dirty dog- We went into several rooms.
Bathroom: Clean towels everyday

Overall this place is perfect for people fishing.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lexi3313
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockport
1 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Rockport / Bay View
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Aransas Pass/Corpus Chris
1 mi away
Lighthouse Inn at Aransas Bay
Fairfield Inn & Suites Rockport
Hampton Inn & Suites Rockport - Fulton

Been to Surfside Inn Suites? Share your experiences!