“Stick to shrimp! Or something fried...”

Charlotte Plummer's Seafare Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 100 Restaurants in Rockport
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

We came here with our school age kids and they are kid friendly. The salad bar is fresh and has a good variety of vegetables, fruit and salads. The restaurant is clean and has a fantastic view. It is known as one of the best restaurants in Rockport. My husband and kids had fried shrimp and absolutely loved their plates. I ordered the peppered tuna, seared, with veggies and rice. The veggies were ok, rice was good, but the "sushi grade" tuna was not good or sushi grade. They get the very good rating bc everything else was great, including the you-peel-ums we ordered for an appetizer and I ate in place of my meal! The manager never came by and nothing was said about my plate, but they didn't charge us for it either.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Service was very good - they were accommodating, finding us a seat on the deck with our toddler and they were very friendly with her. The food came out quickly, but it was just lukewarm and our fish was overcooked, which seems sort of basic at a seafood restaurant. Salad bar was ok - very old school (to have a salad bar at all!). Overall it was good but not great.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

service was good. quality of food was good, very over priced but thats to be expected. No complains really. You can take kids there and sit outside on the upstairs deck which was neat.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

On a recent weekend trip, we decided to try Charlotte Seafare Plummer, given the proximity to the water, and the allure of good high quality seafood.

Upon entry, the hostess and other staff members were really quite nice, and made my kids feel very welcome. After seeing the 1980s salad bar, I should have had my second thoughts, but we were already being seated. Seating upstairs is nice, and gives a good open air feel. There is some urban blight that takes away from some of the scenic quality (eletrical poles and wires close enough you think you can touch them).

Menu choices are plentiful, and have something to please everyone. My spouse and I both had the grilled scallops, which should have been a no-brainer choice for a seafood house. Unfortunately, the cook seems to have no clue how to properly prepare a scallop, and what emerged from the kitchen was a plate full of rubbery, oddly pink colored, flavorless, and suspect-looking scallops seated on a bed of 90-second microwave bag rice.

I've never seen scallops that were pink like these, and I really had reservations about eating them. Absolutely no seasoning was used at all, there was no visible sear, nothing at all like you'd expect to get when ordering grilled scallops.

Prices across the board were stratospheric, a problem that was compounded once the inedible food emerged from the kitchen.

I will absolutely give credit to the wait staff and the front desk staff. They were wonderfully nice, accommodating, and made us feel very welcome. But the place needs a back-of-the-house overhaul. And definitely get rid of the salad bar. It reminds me of an 80s fast food restaurant.

1  Thank DragonChowhound
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My friends from San Antonio told us to make sure to stop at Charlotte Plummer's for dinner. After a long day of activities we stopped at Charlotte Plummer's to get something for dinner to-go. My wife got the hamburger and I got the fisherman's platter. When we got to our room I noticed the food was a little soggy and when I started to eat the fish it was still raw and pink. What a disappointment! Hate to tell my friends about my experience at THEIR favorite restaurant. Never again! Will stop at Whataburger next time.