“Are you kidding me?”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Rockport, Texas
“Are you kidding me?”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Okay, I read a lot of the good reviews and I even posted a review on here (which for some reason has disappeared) and said I hadn't eaten there yet, but was leery, not so much because of the reviews, but because of the owners responses. But, said I would give honest review once I had actually eaten there.

Well, I have eaten there now once; and will not go back.

We (my hubby and I) went in this past weekend and we were very, very unimpressed. I will say the waitress we had was very good and attentive.

Our issue was with the extremely poor food that we paid an extremely high price for. Not to mention the fact the menu selection is extremely limited.

As far as the appetizers went, we had the bacon wrapped dates which were very good and some kind of goat cheese with fried tortillas that were also good. The Chorizo Cheese Thingys were not very tasty, at least in my opinion.

First the salad, well I personally call it a salad, more like a field greens with some red vinegar onions on top. I mean for Pete's sake - where were the tomatoes, the carrots, the olives, the anything else but just field greens? Just because you stick some onions on top of the greens doesn't make it a salad in my book. Not to mention they only had three choices of salad dressing; Ranch, Blue Cheese, or the House dressing which was nothing more than oil and parsley (absolutely no flavor whatsoever).

My husband had the Brazillian Style Black Beans and Rice with Grilled Chicken that was flavorless and no amount of salt could help it.

I had the Ravioli with Spinach and Crawfish Cream Sauce, which with a great deal of salt wasn't too terribly bad.

I was extremely disappointed in this place. We were hoping for another great place to eat, but sadly didn't find it.

When we left there was a party of about five or six people that asked us about how it was and we told them that if they really wanted a great meal to go to Latitudes in downtown Rockport; now they have excellent food and service and ambience and they are actually a little cheaper. Plus their menu is a lot more varied. More choices and great specials.

Any way, that's my impression of Cheryl's By the Bay and will be the last review on it because I don't ever plan on a second visit.

2 Thank JazziJaneen

Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
“Surprise! Surprise!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were two couples without a rudder, floating from web site to web site, trying to figure out where to eat in Rockport and happened upon Cheryl's. Considering ourselves to be seasoned gourmet food adventurers, we set out with skepticism. We were eased somewhat the moment we hit the door with the artsy, funky, reformed hippy, turn yuppy decor. A tasteful, cosy bar and restaurant you'd want to take refuge in, a date to or hang with friends! Come early if dressing casually as reservations are taken here. I started with a pineapple glazed marguerite that was amazing but my friend wouldn't trade his regular margarita! Says a lot for the margaritas! We ordered and to our delight, the table was soon treated to fresh, crispy fried pita bread with a delightful, never before tasted feta cream dip! We all smiled as we knew we'd hit the jackpot. The remainder of the meal did not let any of us down either. Extra dipping sauces brought out on one plate for pallets to experiment with...what a brilliant concept! The avocado lime soup was a Hit and everyone but me liked the Moon Pie Bananas Foster. One against three means you'll have to decide for yourself!
If asked if we'd go back...a resounding absolutely! Stay innovative Chef and staff. it's working for you. Oh, and thanks!

New Braunfels, Texas
“Skip Breakfast”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I took my wife there yesterday hoping for an awesome breakfast. Unfortunately i wasted $25 on a very impressive looking but lousy meal. We each had the eggs benedict. I ordered potatoes and she chose the cheese grits. Her grits were inedible and came in 3 big lumps with shredded cheese sprinkled on top. We sent them back to our grouchy waitress and she brought us some of the saltiest potatoes i ever couldn't eat. Needless to say we will not be returning to Cheryl's By the Bay. I like to pay for good food and service and are not impressed by a fancy looking paper plate.

Houston, Texas, United States
“Auntie Cheryl looks after you!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Interesting and delicious menu, great staff, fab cocktails. If you are in the area and do not eat at Cheryl's you don't know what you are missing.

Visited February 2013
San Antonio TX
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

For the first time we had a dinner with my wife Friday April 12 at this restaurant recommended from the hotel where we stayed and we was very disappointed about almost everything.
First they wanted to set our table in the bar area ( customers occupied only 3 tables).
Finally they put a table in the dining room, the menu is under average, seafood with many items with Tilapia fish, I don't think that is a local fish we was expecting some Red fish or snapper for a restaurant locate "by the bay".
I ordered an entree coming with 4 shrimps on mashed potatoes, with spinach side just from the can no flavor under basic taste.My wife ordered a piece of salmon so dry she can finish it, with the same side. The only thing acceptable was the salad coming with the entree.
The price is too high and no in accordance with the food, don't loose your time and money in this restaurant.

• Visited April 2013