“Definitely Recommend”

Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas
“Definitely Recommend”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This place is great! I'm not a huge fan of sushi, by any means, but I can handle the tempura. They offer a wide selection and everything is prepared right in front of you. It is a small bungalow converted with the kitchen right in the middle. I think there are only five or six tables so it's very initimate. The owners are Japanese so they really know what they are doing. And the wife won't hesitate to let you know if you are doing it wrong. You might want to brush up on the "How To" tutorial on their website before you go. ;) And, please, don't ask for soy sauce with you edamame!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank AngelqS

Texas
“Always a treat to eat at this special sushi bar!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My hubby and I have eaten here at least once a week since Sushi Luck opened and have never had anything that wasn't great! Their food is consistently fresh and tasty! The presentation of the food is very authentic! Tatsumi and Yugi, the owners, are from Japan, and have brought their culinary skills to Rockport! Even if you are not a big sushi fan, they have other items on the menu that are very good! I love the curry dishes! Also they have a great selection of sakes and beers and their iced green tea is wonderfully refreshing on a hot summer day! They also have a very clean restaurant which is noted by the "Exceptional 0 Demerits" scores that they receive from the Aransas County Health Department! So if you have the time and are looking for a great meal, don't miss Sushi Luck!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank ocimum98
Rockport, Texas
“Honestly, I can't say I liked it.”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Nor, will I go back. Here is why:

Service -
First, I understand this is not a 'fast-food' restaurant, and wouldn't expect to get that type of fast service, nor would I want to..... That being said, the service was excruciatingly slooooowwww. When we arrived all the tables had a reserved sign on them, yet they removed one of the signs and gave us a table for two. (Hubby was with me.) She took our drink order and then a woman came in to make a to-go order and although we had not yet ordered, she ignored us and started answering questions about the to-go order! Finally, I just kept staring at her until she came over and took our order. This took 15 minutes!

Once we had ordered, 15 minutes later, our appetizer (Fried Octopus) was brought to the table. The outer coating was not crisp and worse the Octopus was extremely chewy. For $9.00 I would have thought it would have been better. It was basically inedible.

Then another 10 minutes passed and our Miso Soup arrived. This soup is just broth with a little Miso added and very little Tofu, green onion, and seaweed added. I gave it a try, but wasn't impressed.

After another 10 minutes we got our Bento Entrees. Hubby got the Seafood Bento and I got the Fried Pork. Although these were edible and fairly tasty, they were one note as far as flavor went. Everything from the Salad to the Main meat all tasted the same. Again, I was disappointed and not impressed.

We also noticed that other tables got some sort of chips and sauce at their tables that we did not get.

I asked for my ticket and waited and waited and waited. Finally, I went to the counter and waited for our server. And waited and waited and waited. I guess that is why they call them wait staff, because you have to wait so long for them!

While I was waiting for the server to come and check me out I was watching the man making the Sushi. Now, this is just an observation, and I will admit to being a little paranoid when it comes to cleanliness and germs, but I was definitely not impressed with the way the Sushi was being made.

He had a white washcloth (looked wet) and he was wiping not only his hands on this cloth, but also his knife and the fish being cut! Then he would go open the refrigerator door and come back and touch the cloth and wipe the fish and knife with it again! At one point he answered the phone and without washing his hands still touched the cloth and the fish with it without once rinsing it out! Talk about gross! That just about made me sick! I'm so glad I don't like Sushi!

The bill for all this ended up being $52.77. I was REALLY not impressed with that. The older woman who served us also checked me out. She had a very impatient look on her face as I was counting out the cash for the ticket. When I only counted out the exact amount and did not include a tip, she looked surprised and upset. She asked me if everything was good. I said it was because due to her limited English, I just really didn't want to explain to her why I didn't feel she deserved a tip. I got the feeling she was mad at me that I didn't give her a tip, but oh well. I tip good service, not bad.

Anyway, I would not recommend because of 1. Cleanliness 2. Service 3. Food all tasting the same. 4. Price.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank JazziJaneen
Mount Vernon, Ohio, United States
“If you are looking for Bud light and silverware keep looking”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Very good sushi in a small setting. Great selection of Japanese beer (all kinds of wine) and excellent hot saki. I had the sashimi bento box. This is the off season so I had a chance to talk with the chef but I can see how this would be impossible in the busy season. The prices are very reasonable but you would be lucky if you give this place a chance.

2 Thank Guy H
circle pines
“Good sushi, weird place”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Sushi was good, had to wait longer than usual. Very small and not very good ambience, not a fun place..but prices were ok and we liked the sushi.

Visited February 2014