“Night at the Rockdale”

Americas Best Value Inn - Rockdale
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Rockdale
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed overnight on 3/14/2013 & think that camping in a tent would've been a better option; at least you know what to expect w/a tent. I pre-paid for my room online ahead of time, otherwise I would've passed this place up. The first thing I noticed when I was checking in is that there aren't any public restrooms in the lobby of the hotel, so make sure that you tend to those needs before you get there, or you will be politely directed to the restaurant that's next door. Once I got to my room, brought my bags in, & unpacked everything, I finally went to the bathroom, only to find that the toilet wasn't working. The tank was bone dry. I called the front desk & was told by the attendant that there are no other rooms available & "I'm with another guest right now, but I'll call someone & have them come look at it". So pretty much in the mean time I was left w/o functioning sanitation. I called the desk again 15 min later, just to inquire about a possible time frame for this mystery person to show up & "look" at my toilet problem, & was told that "I'm the only one here & I can't leave the desk, but the owner should be coming soon". Another 10 min pass & my husband decides to walk over to the office, & surprisingly comes back w/the front desk attendant, who looked at the toilet & declared it to be broken (was it the missing water that gave it away?). The owner shows up at about that same time (the owner lives in a home built off the parking lot), messes w/the toilet, decides it's broken, & leaves to go to walmart "to get parts for the toilet & I'll be back shortly". He never even acknowledged us as he walked into our room. No "Hi, how you doing, I'm John Smith, the owner, or I'm sorry about this problem, let me put you in a different room". Nothing. Dumbfounded, I ask the owner what we're supposed to do in the meantime, & if we can move to a different room, & he says "no no, no need, I'll fix for you & be back in minute" & left. I guess the attendant (who looked just as surprised as we did) felt bad for us, because suddenly he decides that a room is open after all & he'll just move us over while the owner is gone "because the owner has some friends that are checking out right now & I'll just go get the room ready for you". At this point, I thought our worries were over, but alas, they were not, as a bunch of truckers thought that stumbling around drunk, bbq'ing in the parking lot, & playing their music as loud as they could until about midnight would be a great idea. Did management put a stop to it? Maybe, but not until midnight, because that's when it finally stopped, & the owner lives directly off the parking lot, so there's really no way he wasn't aware. Finally, after only a few hours of sleep, I wake bright & early to get ready for the business function I was there to attend, only to discover that sometime during the night, the lights in the bathroom & dressing area were no longer working. Had to bathe & get dressed in the dark. Aside from all this, the rooms were nasty, the furniture was stained, the carpet was moist, & I'm pretty sure that was a small pile of feces under the AC unit (it's a pet friendly hotel); I didn't get onto my hands & knees to check. At this point I was just ready to go & be done w/that place. I hate to say that I checked myself for bed bug bites in the morning, but I would've been foolish not to. And continental breakfast? Forget it! I wasn't about to eat anything that came from that hotel. If the rooms are that nasty, do you think food storage & sanitation is any better? This is a motel-quality hotel. Not even a good motel, but one of the dirty cheap ones. And you pay hotel prices. Almost $90/night! Outrageous! Stay away from this place!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank loveanadventure365

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I called in a late arrival and upon arrival to the hotel the door was locked and I called the number on the door 4 times and 20 minutes later someone answered and was somewhere else. Didn't know why no one was there but still 20room minutes later no one else was there..... he tried to give me another room since obviously they had given mine away. He was very rude!!! Overall a HORRIBLE evening with no place to stay!!!

Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The staff for the most part are friendly.
The rooms are small,but clean
Lots of parking for the big rigs.
The breakfast was okay,even the powder eggs are good.
But I wish this motel would take their idols down and hide them,I don't care about their false gods.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank nazirites
Reviewed January 22, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We were traveling and looking for a nice place to stay for one night. This Best Western was clean, quiet and conveniently located with the complimentary breakfast. We called places to stay in the area and they had the best prices. We felt we were very fortunate to find this place while traveling through a new territory, for us. It was well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We chose this hotel because of its location right off the highway. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and the decor/furniture seemed new and up-to-date. There is a small, complimentary breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple