“Horrible!!!! Will never stay there again”
Review of Tropic Inn

Tropic Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Robstown
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed there the end of Januay. The desk girl is very rude...the one I saw in the morning... and the Indian people who came out always gave dirty looks and I noticed they are extremely rude to the housekeepers.... Myself and others saw the Indian older lady talking to the rude desk girl with the weird reddish hair in the morning as the housekeepers where arriving just sitting down laughing which I thought was very unprofessional and the Indian lady was badly dressed with no shoes on.... I mean come on! Does that look like a manager? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! Someone else who stayed there was telling me the same things I'm talking about. I would NEVER wana stay at this best western in robstown again! The rooms were very clean... That's the only thing that was good! but rude people like who I mentioned I will not put up with so I'd rather go somewhere else than stay at this place again

• Stayed: January 2012
There are newer reviews for Tropic Inn

Reviewed August 10, 2010

This is a new hotel, which made lots of things nice, but then left us disappointed in other areas. The rooms were clean and well kept. But our door would not latch automatically when it closed. This made me nervous each time we left. I had to keep going back to the door and checking to make sure the door was locked. The pool area is nice with a rock waterfall. But don't be surprised when you see how small it is. It works, but there isn't lots of room. There were several "mood lights" at the pool that we kept waiting to come on. You could tell it would have been a pretty place to sit at night, but the lights never came on. The fitness center had several pieces of aerobic equipment, and a universal gym. But the belt on the treadmill was loose making it unusable, and the location of the hotel doesn't give you any good options to go out for a run. The breakfast was your typical continental, but the coffee maker was broken, which meant no hot coffee, and no hot water for the instant oatmeal. Also, there was no employee dedicated to watching the breakfast area, so it was a little lacking.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We spent just one night at this hotel and it was just like home. The staff was very helpful and polite. We enjoyed our lunch just a few steps away at Joe Cottens Bar-B-Que. Wish we had planned to stay much longer.

Y. Jimenez

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank YJimenez
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We booked this hotel with a couple of fears about the problems others had reported with reservations - we felt we could handle that, since it was truly the only problem we saw.

Fortunately, checking in went very smoothly - no problems. The hotel staff was very nice and friendly.

This is a non-smoking hotel, so we were a bit surprised when we walked into our room and it smelled like cigarette smoke. The room was beautiful and very clean - but, apparently, a previous guest had smoked in spite of the policy. We immediately informed the front desk (I have 2 children, and my husband and I cannot stand the smell). Within 5 minutes, one of the cleaning staff was there to spray the room and air conditioner filter with disinfectant spray - the difference was instantly noticeable, and we never smelled smoke again after that. The employee was very friendly and apologetic.

Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel. The bathroom was nice and roomy - just be careful to follow the instructions on operating the shower! (very easy - just different). The staff at the front desk was very helpful when we were trying to find directions to Wal-mart and to a nice, family-friendly section of the beach in Corpus Christi (the beach was a bit of a drive)

We had only one problem. The front desk tried calling our hotel room phone and my husband's cell phone at Midnight!!! Of course, we were all asleep. My husband finally answered the phone the 2nd time they called, only to be asked if we had made reservations to stay only night! When we were checking out the next morning, I did ask why they would call us for something so ridiculous - apparently, when we checked in, the staff at the front desk had not written down our information in their booklet, so the hotel manager was not sure if anyone was staying in the room, and she chose to call us to find out. The staff at the front desk who told me this had not realized what had happen and apologized for it.

So, all in all, there was only the one very minor problem - just make sure the staff writes your information in their book when you check in!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MissDusty
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Great hotel for a great price....at first I was worried about them botching my reservations as seen in other reviews, and sure enough when I arrived there they had some problems with locating my reservation, but they fixed this accordingly and we were lucky to stay here. All of the staff was helpful they have nice ammenities it is a very calm and relaxing hotel and we would definitely stay here again....

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2008

First the good: This is a nice and new (or at least refurbished)hotel still, with a beautiful pool area, comfortable beds and comfortable room, fairly easy to get to as well.

But Best Western management really needs to audit this place to make sure it's up to their standards.
The front desk person could barely speak English. In south Texas that's fine, you expect a lot of Mexican-American and Spanish heritage people, but this guy was more Indian with a bad accent. We got by that, but even though he had my info and reservation, he charged the wrong (standard night) rate. I even showed him my reservation sheet that showed I booked for $30 less.
He wouldn't budge, saying he didn't have the reservation and couldn't lower the rate. HUH?
Anyway, got an upstairs "non-smoking" room that reeked of smoke. I can live with that. But the door didn't catch. SoI went down told him my problems and instead of offering a different room kept me there and had "Frankie" show me how to shake the door so it locked. Major pain in the butt. Frankie explained because of the newness that this room and then one next to it as well as two downstairs were a bit off right now due to the hotel settling, and you had to shake or shut the door hard. UMMM, my neighbors chose the later option and were in and out all night, I was awake most of the night.

Check out is at noon, and not needing to be anywhere the next day I was going to sleep in to catch up on the lost sleep. Then the front desk calls at a little after 11 to see if I am still here, since I am the only one not to have checked out. SHEESH. I verify checkout time, and finish getting dressed.

Oh, but Joe Cotton's is close and one of the best places to eat in the area. So that's also a plus.

I probably won't stay here again for a while.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2008

A new, clean, well furnished, friendly Best Western on Hwy. 77. Reasonable rates, great dinner at Cotten's Barbecue, within walking distance on the same side of the highway.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Robstown
Best Western Northwest Corpus Christi Inn & Suites
Best Western Northwest Corpus Ch...
#19 of 80 in Corpus Christi
#9 of 80 in Corpus Christi
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corpus Christi NW-Calallen
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#34 of 80 in Corpus Christi
Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
#3 of 80 in Corpus Christi
Hampton Inn Corpus Christi - Northwest I-37
Hampton Inn Corpus Christi - Nor...
#16 of 80 in Corpus Christi
Best Western Plus Northshore Inn

Been to Tropic Inn? Share your experiences!